1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your favorite "cheap" bomber/750?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Zymocenosilicaphobic, Dec 11, 2013.

1. All these limited release beers are giving me sticker shock.

Abrasive ~ $18, Darkness ~ $22, Smoke ~ $18, Gillian ~$29, Halia ~ $23, Commader ~ $17, Haywire ~ $14, Schell's Framboise ~ $14, etc.....

I passed on a bottle of Indeed Old Friend tonight for $11 and bought a 12 pack of Schell's Snowstorm instead, it was the same price.

So what's your favorite BA bomber/750ml for less than $10?

I picked up Central Waters Coffee Stout for $5.50.
    Also Lagunitas beers are always a good value are $5-$6.

Chaz likes this.
  2. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

I was going to reply with Central Waters Coffee and Lagunita's Imperial Stout. So there you go.
    Also really been enjoying any Yeti, about $10.

BarrelAgedBarry likes this.
  3. Chaz

Chaz Champion (840) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

I pick up John Henry from Cold Spring on occasion. $4.99 or thereabouts.
    Edit: By BA you mean oak/barrel aged? Cold Spring uses those funky oak spirals, so I'm not sure if that counts?

4. Chumley22

Chumley22 Zealot (85) Minnesota Sep 28, 2013

Good topic!
    Recently had Space Ghost from Central Waters that was very good at $6.50, Deschutes is always a good value, Fresh Squeezed was excellent, Chaisin' Freshies- very good and just enjoyed Hop Henge. All under $6.00. Have to throw in Dragons Milk Bourbon Barrel, a nice barrel aged for $7.00!

Icarus and Chaz like this.
  5. I guess the BA requirement might make this a pretty short list at that price point, so I'll open it up to ALL favorite "cheap".

6. sandbergandy

sandbergandy Zealot (85) Minnesota Nov 21, 2012

I picked up a couple Ballast Point Victory at Sea bombers for $8.50 a piece on my way home from work. Extremely good beer at that price, extremely good beer regardless of price, if you can find it

dzyneguru and mnphish like this.
  7. DesMoinesCraft

DesMoinesCraft Disciple (60) Iowa Nov 1, 2013

Wen it comes to under $10 it's rough because a majority of the wine bottle size stuff is limited release. Out of all of them the one brewery that I've been consistently happy with their bombers is Stone. Must are around $8. The worst in the price range is Rogue. Though it's all OK, it's rarely beyond just OK.

If you want to go in an import direction and a little smaller you should check out Schneider Weisse They have been selling 16.9oz around Des Moines for about $5 and the Aventinus is a very interesting beer to say the least.

8. DesMoinesCraft

Missed the BA reference too. It seems like Barrel Age is going to always drive the price over $10. I'm not a big fan of Bourbon to begin with because I feel it has the worst finish of all whiskeys. The thing with beer is that the finish is such a large part of the taste, I feel it really distracts from the beers taste in an over powering manner. I'm guessing that since there is a large supply of bourbon barrels is the reason that it seems to be the standard. I'm not sure if just an oak barrel age would release enough tannins or smokey flavor on the finish to make a difference. Though I think a scotch barrel might produce a much more interesting finish.

9. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

No one has mentioned Steel Toe yet? Not new news, I know, but still great. Cant wait for Size 7 in a $10ish 6 pack

10. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

Deschutes Hop Henge, a reasonably priced beer that detroys the overpriced ones.

plumcrazyfx, ballenc and EJJ1848 like this.
  11. Chumley22

Chumley22 Zealot (85) Minnesota Sep 28, 2013

Agreed! All if them are a helluva deal at $5.00. Size 7 is one of my favorite tap beers when availabe.

12. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Recently released stuff that has been awesome for the price: Madhouse Barleywine aged in Cedar Ridge Whiskey barrels for $9.99/750ml and Peace Tree Templeton Red aged in Templeton Rye barrels for $9.99/22oz bomber.

13. doner24

doner24 Aficionado (175) Minnesota Apr 16, 2013

Not a bomber, but by far the best cheap deal near the cities is a growler of Pseudo Sue for $9.99 at Nova's.

djschnabel, jimmah120 and ItGose like this.
  14. Left Hand Wake Up Dead imperial Stout is typically tasty. Haven't had this year's batch. $9 +tax.

InfraRen likes this.
  15. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Well, if abrasive was a bomber, it'd be just over $6... So I'm sticking with that.

16. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Saga.

psychotia likes this.
  17. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

So true, I can't believe how affordable a Size 7 bomber is…and it's one of the best year round IPAs in the state.

18. Lagunitas Lucky 13 - ~$5
    Lagunitas Imperial Stout - ~$5
    Left Hand Wake Up Dead - ~$6

19. MNMike

MNMike Aficionado (235) Minnesota Dec 3, 2013

I asked the brewer at Steel Toe about 12 ouncers in the future and he shot that down - bombers are his preference.

20. Seefeldt

If I could buy Steel Toe bombers in Rochester I would be so freaking happy and would definitely have put that in my reply.

ben4bier likes this.
  21. MCImes

Booo. $5 bombers are still acceptable, but I would drink the shit out of size 7 if it were a $10/6 pack instead of $15...

pmccallum86 and dzyneguru like this.
  22. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

In my book, $5 bombers are not cheap. That's a $15 6 pack. When you get down to the $5 bomber price, you can find so many comparable beers in 6 pack format for $9.99 or less. 6 packs win every time. For me, the only place for a bomber is for the limited release stuff and that is basically only because we are forced to buy a bomber if we want that special release.

23. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

My bottle shop in Eagan just starting carrying Steel Toe, happy days!

24. I do like clown shoes, lagunitas, deschutes, weihenstephaner

25. DesMoinesCraft

Yes there it is usually a better value but when you consider that everything is based on ouch cost, most of what is in 22oz would not be $10 for a six pack. If you figure that $5 bomber is going to run $0.23 an oz a 48oz six pack is going to be around $11 to $12. I find the bomber size is prefect if you want to sample a number of beers. If I have the option to buy 2 six packs or 4 bombers, I'd rather go with the variety. Plus 22oz is just about the right size to enjoy on your own or share with someone.

BrettHead likes this.
  26. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Someone is stealing 24 ounces from your six packs :eek:

Cheers!

27. doner24

doner24 Aficionado (175) Minnesota Apr 16, 2013

Gotta love Iowa math ;)

Zymocenosilicaphobic likes this.
  28. DesMoinesCraft

You are right, now I'll turn the lights out and whoever took it, please return it.

I was think in the land of 4 packs mainly because I have yet to see anything offered in bombers that is also offered in 6 packs. So, I've done the math in the past when choosing between a bomber or a 4 pack. At any rate, that would make 6 packs 72 oz and make the 6packs in the range of $15.00 to $16.00.

Chaz likes this.
  29. Baudette

Baudette Aficionado (140) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

8.99 for a 750 of Saison Dupont

fantome and Chaz like this.
  30. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

I love all the New Glarus Bombers and CW Brewhouse Coffee Stout! I found love child #3 for 10 once but that was probably a mistake.

mnphish likes this.
  31. Chaz

Chaz Champion (840) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Gimme!~

(It's $10.99 at my local squalid packie. ;))

32. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

How about an $8.99 Rodenbach / $9.99 Rodenbach Grand Cru?

Rob-P and Chaz like this.
  33. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (535) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

Steel Toe and Lagunitas for sure.

Also, as a saison lover, I'll throw out Victory Helios. Cheapest non-closeout bomber I've ever bought, at $3.50 I think. And pretty darn tasty, too.

34. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

Really? Should we start with Steel Toe? There are many, many great IPA's that are equal to Size 7. Or did you mean Size 7 is only offered in a bomber?

I have to disagree with you when it comes to the "5 dollar bomber". Now, a limited release bomber in the $9+ range is a different story.

On topic with the thread, I guess I just don't see any bomber as being cheap when you compare it to a 6 pack pricing.

They are nicer for bottle shares though!

35. Baudette

Baudette Aficionado (140) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Northgate in Andover has had this at 8.99 for at least 6 months.

Chaz likes this.
  36. dzyneguru

dzyneguru Savant (360) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

This, for sure.

InfraRen likes this.
  37. Rob-P

Rob-P Aficionado (125) Iowa Feb 29, 2012

I picked up a couple bottles of Le Terrioir yesterday for $6.99 (Hy-Vee West Lakes in Des Moiens). I saw BBQ on sale in DM for $10.99 (Hy-Vee on Grand/Railroad in WDM) this week...obviously not under $10, but pretty close for a great beer in a 750.

38. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (445) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

Dear Steel Toe,

I love Size 11!

Where did it go?

Bring it back!

NOW!

Love,
    Erik

39. Seefeldt

I think it usually comes out around March...

40. MCImes

Ohh, Ill second Le Terroir. How did I forget that? Its possibly the 2nd best cheap sour. (NG Wild sour being the first. Not a bomber I know, but that beer dominates in my book because its a sour, cheap and GREAT). Now if only they would make it a seasonal...

Since Im on sours now, you can find Cuve Renee for ~$10 too. Thats a very under appreciated Guezue. Its not the 'very best' I know, but for being readily available and one of the cheapest in its style it holds up very well IMO.