1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your favorite "cheap quick buzz" beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I'm not promoting alcoholism. However, many of us have those "moments". What are your favorite ones?

Personally I really like Black Boss Porter and Zweic Porter. They are cheap, strong as hell and I find them to be good-tasting. I also find Natty Daddy and Molson XXX to be better tasting than the reviews on them.
  2. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I'd drink bourbon or whiskey if I was looking for something quick.
  3. Derranged

Way to ruin my thread, denver. HA! No, I see your point.
  4. denver10

Not trying to sabotage it....just answering it as it relates to me.
    bunique686 likes this.
  5. Derranged

I know I'm just messing with you. BUT, just for the hell of it.. Are there any cheap strong beers you like by chance?
  6. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

oh yeah... straight to the source.....
  7. diesel59

avery maharaja... 2 or 3 of those should get you started....

sorry... i missed cheap in the equation... must be all the cheap genesee i have been drinking....
  8. Shoo65

Shoo65 Savant (270) Indiana Oct 23, 2011

I couldnt go back to the bud lights, If i cant afford a $9 sixer of torpedo, I should not be drinking. Torpedo is my go to on cheaper good beer, and after six your pretty drunk.
  9. denver10

I guess it depends on what you consider cheap.

Yuengling is one of my favorite beers and is definitely economical, though I don't know if it fits into the "cheap" category. I could try to drink those as quickly as possible to get a buzz if it came down to it.
    hilliard114 likes this.
  10. Derranged

I see what you did there. I was gonna say no way is that Avery beer is cheap.
  11. Derranged

My idea of a cheap fast buzz is something like what I mentioned in the original post, 8.0 and higher and under a 3 dollars. But its not written in stone.
  12. RrrStory

RrrStory Disciple (55) Indiana Dec 16, 2011

If you consider Two Hearted cheap thats my go to for a quick buzz.
    beergorrilla likes this.
  13. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

I tend to drink Cognag if I wanna get a buzz started a little quicker...but just like my beer, it has to be quality Cognac. I usually drink Hennessy Paradis...No shots, just 1 or 2 glasses and sip on it...Once I'm done, I'll have a beer or two and that usually does it for me...

Cheers!
  14. diesel59

i don't know too many cheap beers that will get you where you wanna be right quick.... with all the high end beer that is available to us today, it is tough because most of us have higher tolerances.....
  15. aorloski

aorloski Savant (370) Massachusetts Oct 11, 2010

SN Torpedo, or smuttynose IPA both ~10 bucks a 6 pack
    NardiByNature likes this.
  16. denver10

Then my answer would be no, no beer that I would go after at this point for the cheap quick buzz.
  17. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (355) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009

If im in the Moment i usually switch over to Scotch or Tequila.
  18. FeerBart

FeerBart Initiate (0) Colorado Aug 21, 2011

Hop Notch. 7.3% $7.49 a six pack and delicious
    KS1297 likes this.
  19. diesel59

i mean alot of bombers out there are equivilent to a bottle of wine.... and how many of those can we put down.... lots...
    SgunnarW likes this.
  20. i 2nd black boss. delicious and great for "the cause"
  21. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (430) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

Yeah, I drink beer because its delicious. If I was just trying to catch a buzz or get drunk thats when I crack open the J&B.
    Indifferent likes this.
  22. diesel59

good old justerini @ brooks
    Indifferent likes this.
  23. This is a a great one for the quick buzz. I also think Alesmith's Horny Devil and even the Bigfoot Barleywine are good, quick acting ones
  24. Skip beer and pick up a MD 20/20.
  25. madman45

madman45 Initiate (0) Illinois Dec 7, 2010

Steel Reserve. Put a few tall boys of this delicious nectar down and you'll start feeling loose.
    jlenik and sgwagner like this.
  26. I was in such a mood and picked up a 24 oz can of Steel Reserve Triple Export for 99 cents today. After 1 of those and a couple homebrews, I'm ready to spend the rest of the night chugging some water.
  27. Derranged

Speaking of cheap buzzes, I had Before-After last night. Not nearly as offensive as the reviews suggested, in fact it was surprisingly bland. It tasted like exactly what is was: A very low grade dopplebock. The taste to me was tolerable enough, I guess.. But what I found really off-putting was how flat the beer was. Reminded me of Crazy Horse or Colt 45, you know when you have a forty ounce of it, and you're taking a while to finish it, it starts to get all flat. Yuck, bad memories.
  28. Maybe not the cheapest, but I'd down a bottle of 120 or WWS. Can usually get one for about 8 bucks, and I'd be pretty buzzed off one if I finished it up quickly.
    DovaliHops likes this.
  29. Torpedo is always a solid choice for this; there was a thread recently showing, mathematically, how it was a cheaper drunk than Bud Light.
    Falcone and beercules101 like this.
  30. Aiptasia

Aiptasia Aficionado (225) Florida Feb 6, 2011

Considering the bottle price of $9.99 but the alcohol level of FOUR 6% beers, i'd have to go with both DFH 120 & WWS.
  31. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Trader Joe's Simple Times Lager 2.99 for 6er of 6.2% each can
  32. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

simpler times lager.
  33. aorloski

aorloski Savant (370) Massachusetts Oct 11, 2010

haha, i also weigh this out sometimes. i personally LOVE wws
  34. any beer can do this if you embrace the tried and true practice of speed pints.

I like Trinity IPA for this personally.
  35. BLP (Bud Light Platinum for you noobs), is my go to when I want to go HAM in the clubs...

But seriously, I would say Hop Stoopid for me. 8% at $4.50 is hard to beat.
    Prost76 and rogueleonardi like this.
  36. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

Cheap buzz = Tecate
  37. Both those beers are listed at 18%, so that'd be the equivalent of only "THREE" 6% beers.*

And, from the same brewery I could get three 6% DFH 60 Minute Ales for a dollar less that that $9.99 price (and have three left over for tomorrow).

*I guess with the ability to edit a post no longer having
    a time limit, that quote might get "fixed", huh?
    ESeab likes this.
  38. Swim424

Swim424 Savant (320) Florida Apr 29, 2011

Budweiser. Big Flats. Coors. Pabst Blue Ribbon. Bud Light Platinum. Oak Leaf wine (this will get the job done).

Or you could always do MD20/20. I can't drink that stuff.
  39. rogueleonardi

rogueleonardi Initiate (0) Ohio Jan 4, 2012

Great Lakes Commodore Perry. $14 a 12 pack and your drunk for two or three nights.
    ChrisM361 likes this.
  40. I can't stand getting buzzed on strong beer. It just makes me feel like garbage. I don't know how to explain it, but my buzz from lower ABV beers always "feels" better. Murphy's Stout does an excellent job.