1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your favorite "cheap quick buzz" beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Feb 27, 2012.

1. I could see Big Black Voodoo Daddy being a value - around $7 a bomber at 12.50% ABV.

2. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

6% x 4 = 24%. That stuff is closer to 18%.

But on the subject, Wild Blue

3. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Steel Reserve...$2 for 24 ounces of sweet, boozy malt liquor. Just have to make sure you drink it fast because as it warms it gets way more harsh. You'll find it in the crappy beer ice bin at your local corner store...

jlenik likes this.
  4. my cheap go to beer is my homebrew. even at low ABVs, its cheaper than commercial.

But when I go commercial, I drink multiple Two-Hearteds and call it a day.

5. Double Bag is usually my go-to cheap ABV beer, but I have to strongly agree with the Steel Reserve. Tall boy cans for $1.20 at the local supermarket - no need for cheap vodka at that point.

6. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

SN Torpedo for sure. At the sale price of 13 bucks a twelve pack, the drunkness to deliciousness to dollars ratio is the best around. If I lived in an area that got Deschutes, they might be able to convince me otherwise, as I understand they tend to be fairly reasonably priced.

Falcone likes this.
  7. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

My choice is either Brooklyn Choc Stout or Monster Ale, both at $8 4/pk and 10%,tasty and quick buzz

8. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (415) California Mar 13, 2009

A four pack of Old Rasputin is 7.99... that should do the trick.

beergorrilla likes this.
  9. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

I have to say, I just pounded a six of Narragansett cream ale... i have a nice head right now... and i am partial to scotch and bourbon.. a quart every 2 or 3 days.. so I'm no newbie to the game....

10. Douggo

Douggo Savant (295) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Wish I could still get Widmer KGB (W'11). Was under $12 for a 12-pack. About as cheap of a buzz as Natty Light.

11. Definitely with you on the Zweic Porter @derranged. I remember thinking that exact same thing the first time I bought it, that it was a great bang for your buck, but after trying it I realized it's not a bad buy in general for the money. Also, I move/travel a lot and I've noticed going the way of local beer is sometimes another good option (obviously).

12. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Not to sound like a snob, but I don't drink cheap at all. If I can't afford the beer I want, I don't buy any.

13. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (520) New York Mar 7, 2009

Colt 45
    Olde English 800
    Schlitz Malt Liquor

14. Alilley

Alilley Aficionado (110) Georgia Dec 23, 2010

The classic table wine. What is your particular?

15. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I take a trip to the medicine cabinet and take a nice, hearty swig of rubbing alcohol. Yum.

(Don't actually do this)

16. WeisGuy

WeisGuy Advocate (510) New York Apr 26, 2006

From the land of the sky blue waters...Hamm's, baby, Hamm's.

17. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (410) Washington Oct 17, 2010

Bigfoot Barley Wine...9.6%, $2.25 per 12 oz bottle.

beergorrilla likes this.
  18. rabbid

rabbid Zealot (95) Massachusetts Dec 13, 2009

If I'm going to intentionally make myself feel like shit I'd prefer to do it with something that tastes good and I enjoy.

19. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Thank you. Who says you can't get drunk AND enjoy what you drink whilst doing it?

20. 4pk 90 min

21. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

The cheap good stuff tends to vary from region to region. Here in MN, my go-to is Grain Belt.

22. Other than spirits I guess I'll settle for some Stella Artois or some other cheap beers... 6 packs of craft beer in Alberta isn't that cheap compared to a few places in USA =(

23. A bomber of Arrogant Bastard for $5 seems like it would be my choice. Then again I would probably go with a shot followed by a beer if I reallly wanted a buzz. Though if I really wanted a buzz i would skip the beer completely and go for spirits. Seriously the great thing about craft beer is that it's like self regulation. By the time I get through my second beer my stomach can't take anymore and if it could I wouldn't enjoy it very much. And what is the point of buying expensive beer if you're not going to enjoy it?

24. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

ZORG, 51oz plastic swing top for only a buck, 8% alc. But I don't really drink that, i step up to the 51 oz plastic swing top baltika 9 for 1.79.

25. Orange Jubilee. :cool:

26. I have no idea how you drink that stuff. I can't stand the idea of drain pouring because it's a complete waste no matter how bad the beer is, but I just couldn't finish this stuff. Only one I've ever poured.

For me, SN Torpedo or Bigfoot

27. to the guy who said zwiec porter i totally agree. it's like $2 a bottle and they sell them individually. not only does it taste good for the price it's high in abv so you get a good buzz. that reminds me to go pick up 1 or 2 i

28. Orchids

Orchids Aficionado (210) Illinois Feb 7, 2010

I'd get a 6pk of some Goose or Two Bros if I wanted to feel classy while I'm binge drinking, Hams, PBR, or Dog Style if I'm not.

29. but don't you know that pbr is the worlds classiest beer according to hipsters. i

30. goodonezach

goodonezach Initiate (0) New York Mar 24, 2011

gansett is always a good call. $5 for a 6pack of pint cans isn't a terrible deal.

31. Orchids

Orchids Aficionado (210) Illinois Feb 7, 2010

I don't believe in hipsters.

32. coronajm

coronajm Aficionado (240) Ohio Jan 4, 2010

Say "LAH-GOO-KNEE-TUSS" These guys put out quality imperials and crazy strong ales 7-10% for ~$10/sixer. Love it.

33. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Never had a drain pour. I finished a whole can of Chelada. Iron stomach.

Wild Blue is super sugary and super artificial, but imo still drinkable.

BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  34. I don't drink good beer quickly and I don't drink it to get buzzed. I drink it slowly so I can taste it.

If you want a fast and cheap buzz, just do a couple of shots.

35. I like getting buzzed but lately never set out to do so. that said Zweic Porter is and excellent and underrated beer. I would get it more if I did not have to drive an hour for it.

36. I'm pretty sure you mean three as 18/3=6 *sorry, I just noticed someone already said this

But anyway....if you can stomach Natty Ice like us college kids, $14 a 30-rack is pretty damn cheap

37. When I say drain poured, I meant I drank 5 out of the 6 bottles that I bought and poured the sixth one...so not a complete waste.

But in regards to the Chelada, you sir are a champion.

38. sfsean28

sfsean28 Savant (425) New Jersey Dec 17, 2008

Boilermakers do the trick for me. Latest combination I had was SN Ruthless Rye and Crown Royal.

39. To all the people suggesting vodka/bourbon/etc...if you're smart enough to figure out that booze can be a cheaper buzz than beer (cool discovery, we're all very proud) then you should be smart enough to read the title of this discussion. "Your favorite 'cheap quick buzz' BEERS". Not your favorite cheap quick buzz in general or else I'd have suggested a bag of heroin. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, I just think its a little obvious that popov/dickle/black velvet or other things of that nature are stronger and cheaper so its unnecessary to add more jargon to filter through for those who are actually interested in this discussion. At least the guy above me still included beer, suggesting to kick it up a notch.

carteravebrew likes this.