Your favorite "cheap quick buzz" beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Feb 27, 2012.

1. A 30 of Molson Golden is $15 and it actually does not taste like crap like most macros. They say it is half ale half lager I do not know about all that but either way it is way better then standard american macros.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  2. RightAJ

RightAJ Zealot (80) Pennsylvania May 17, 2011

Boilermakers! I thought I was the only person who drank these! My preference has landed on Rolling Rock and Jim Beam.. still have the fastest time of my group of friends ;)

But any 6/4 pack of higher abv, less than $10 does the trick. Around here Hop Devil is great for that, and Brooklyn Monster has been a favorite of mine lately. Also any kinda bomber that my local place has on sale I'm willing to try!

Or just bourbon!

aj

3. I'm going to go in a different direction and recommend Icehouse. 5.5% abv, and I always seem to find 3 32oz for about 5 bucks. Speed drinking is critical, as if you cant knock back the first (or second) one fast enough then you arent really getting as much bang for your buck. But if im starting with a nicer bottle ranging in the 7%+ range, having one to three of these afterwards if i need to get a serious drink on never fails me.

4. I drink a case of moon shot, that usually does the trick.

5. mdvatab

mdvatab Savant (440) Indiana Apr 5, 2006

I don't think anyone's really trying to be a dick. It's just that to some of us, the concept of grabbing a cheap quick beer to "get us there" doesn't make much sense. We all have our days, but I don't remember the last time I thought, "I REEAAALLLY wanna get wasted. Now which beer's gonna do that for me?". If I'm in the mood to do some (beer) drinking, I'm usually thinking about what awesome beers I can drink, and how I can keep drinking for as long as possible. If I had a bad day to the point of wanting to get a buzz on NOW!, hard liquor, not beer, is the only thing that comes to mind. (why f'ing waste your time w/ beer?).

6. Heady Topper at $11.99 a 4pak does the job quite nicely.

yourefragile likes this.
  7. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

Still, the guy asked about beers.

RyanLigeia likes this.
  8. Given its higher ABV, virtually all economical craft selections provide more buzz for your buck than the BMC/ AAL standbys. The same isn't true of spirits, since there's not as much variation in ABV, but you can still find some very good stuff on the cheap.

Wanting a "cheap quick buzz" is no excuse for drinking crap.

9. Aiptasia

Aiptasia Aficionado (225) Florida Feb 6, 2011

Natty Ice. More power to whatever floats your boat.

10. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Nice cheap price, high abv, and tasty.

BILF likes this.
  11. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (265) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

In terms of micros it's usually Flying Dog Raging Bitch. If I happen to be in Maryland I'll pick up a case for < $30 and feed my buzz for a few weeks. I find it deliciously disturbing that it's only about $6 more than Bud Light bottles.

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Hop Stoopid, $4.99 for a 22oz w/8%abv.

gtermi likes this.
  13. I understand your (and everyone else's who says this) point, and I'm not arguing it. But for me, personally, a beer buzz is much different than a liquor buzz. I much prefer the beer buzz. I feel it throughout my whole body; when it hits my shoulders, that's when I know I'm feeling nice. It also progresses slower (which technically supports your point as far as speed goes), but even when I'm trying to get a "quick" buzz on, I still like to feel the progression. Liquor, however, feels like a Mac truck smacking me in the forehead; I keep drinking it and drinking it and don't feel anything (so I keep drinking more) until WHAM! It hits (hard) and it's all in my head. No, I much prefer the beer buzz. That's why, even if I want "it" quick, I almost always reach for a few beers.

To answer the OP, I mostly drink homebrew nowadays, so three or four 6-7% Oktoberfests or Saisons usually do the trick. "My" versions of those two styles go down very quickly and easily.

SgunnarW likes this.
  14. When it was available, Schmaltz Jewbelation 15...$5.99 for a bomber at 15% ABV. It's sort of a hot mess, but still really tasty...getting buzzed was pretty much unavoidable. Like others have already said, I don't usually buy beer with the intentions of getting drunk.

15. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

hahaha i happen to be enjoying a can of genesee ice as i read this.....3.60/6 pack can't go wrong.

i saw a 40oz of schaefer too, but i haven't tried it yet some i'm wasn't ready to dip into a 40 just yet.

but to answer the OPs question; two words: Narragansett Lager

(half tempted to put Narragansett Porter because it's 7%, but its a tad more expensive than Lager)

16. ricke49

ricke49 Aficionado (245) Oregon May 2, 2004

just got back from Bi-Mart (Northwest, employee owned, version of Wal-mart) and couldn't beleive the Lagunitas Imperial Stout (9 % +) at $2.99 per 22 oz. bomber. Can't go wrong.

17. ha story of my life...can't stand hard liquor now

18. people reccomending natty ice for a quick buzz are crazy. i like a buzz like everyone else but i like to drink a few higher abv beers at a leisurely pace to get me there. by high abv i mean like 7-8% range get yourself a six pack of any craft beer and you'll have a few to spare.

19. I was just coming into the thread to say that as I work on a few post a rough day at work.

20. That's what I was getting at with my earlier post. If you calculate the cost per unit of alcohol, inexpensive craft beer almost always offers a cheaper buzz over AAL. Granted, if you're willing to drink malt liquor or buy the cheapest AAL in bulk, virtually no craft beer will be able to match that "efficiency"; but if you do an apples-to-apples comparison (6-pack v. 6-pack, etc.) craft wins.

And let's not forget that speed is also a factor in "cheap quick buzz", which favors drinking fewer high-ABV craft beers over multiple low-ABV AALs.

21. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

The flaw in your heroin scenario is it's not cheap...or so I've been told. ;)

22. shawnohall

You can get Raging Bitch for under $30 a case? You lucky bastard.

23. shawnohall

I concur with several of the responses here. Steel Reserve (High Gravity) Malt Liquor is a great choice. Where I'm at (north of Houston) it's $1.99 for a 40 ounce bottle or $4.45 for a 16-ounce six-pack. Cheapest thing in the store, 8.1% abv, and here's the good thing...it's the best malt liquor out there. Actually tastes good, like it wasn't brewed as an afterthought. Do you know of any other malt liquor that was given a score of 84 by one of the Alstrom Bros? Buzz per dollar for something that's not hideous, it's the one.

24. Honestly, Hurricane pounders aren't bad at all. $5.00/6. It's sweet, creamy, rosie, tastes like a nice quad once it gets to 50°...

25. shawnohall

...and if you don't want to go the malt liquor route, Sierra Nevada Torpedo is a good choice. One time I bought a six-pack of Old Chub Scotch Ale (Oskar Blues Brewing Co.) for under $8. Has an abv of 8%, and delicious.

26. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Initiate (0) Texas Apr 9, 2009

4loko

Lare453 likes this.
  27. Leave.

28. Nick1513

Nick1513 Aspirant (35) Jan 26, 2013

Steel Reserve. 8% ABV and cheap.

jlenik and Lipsntoes like this.
  29. If i just want to get drunk fast I drink cognac, whiskey, scotch, bourbon, brandy, or other fine spirits. If I want to get beers for cheap, and not stand in front of the cooler for 45 minutes staring at various beers I usually get taddy porter, black butte, anchor porter, yeti, ten fidy, Sierra Nevada PA, mirror pond, or beer 30 light

Lare453 likes this.
  30. Hamms! A 12 pack for $7 ... But I never seek cheap quick buzzes, I prefer moderately pricey all-day craft sessions.

31. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (520) New York Mar 7, 2009

Genesee 12 Horse Ale. About $8/ 12 pack. I keep some in the fridge for those moments when I get home late from work and have to go right back out again. twist top, I slam one, right out of the bottle, there in my garage. Gets the job done until I get back home for the evening.

32. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (480) California Nov 16, 2009

Melange 3... bought a case... so this is my go-to quick buzz for a bit. Very tasty!

33. Hop Stoopid.

YogiBeer likes this.
  34. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

If I just wanted a quick buzz on the cheap, leave alone actually get drunk, I'd probably resort to a somewhat decent wodka or blended scotch. Way better value for money from a "bang for buck" point of view. I'm a big boy, so it takes too long for me to get drunk off beer for it to be of use as a shitfaced drink. I think I'd actually love beer even more if it didn't get me drunk, I drink it for the taste. I'd drink a bottle of mouthwash or vanilla essence before I'd drink beer to get tanked anyways.

Whenever I just want a cheap beer, I'll result to Schultenbrau or Karlsquell as supermarket offerings here. They're dirt cheap and actually taste okay (hops as opposed to husky boring malt flavor).

35. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Well I haven't been looking for a quick, cheap buzz in a long time.

But Lagunitas Brown Shugga' provided me with a briskly paced, moderately priced level of tranquility. (9.99% ABV at a cost of $9.50 a sixer)

36. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Schlitz Bull Ice...slightly less crappy than most malt liquors...better malt character to me...does the job when I'm hating all things...and it's become something of a Friday tradition...4 hours of work on Fridays...then GLUGLUGLUG...etc...

37. Apparently no one's heard of Baltika 9:
    Plastic, shatter proof bottle for repeated drunken drops
    Resealable cap so you can drink it in any number of alleys
    Classic beer bottle design to fit in any slim brown bag
    8% ABV
    51 oz.
    $3
    It might as well be called hobo beer
    [​IMG]

Falcone, mh007, MCain04 and 5 others like this.
  38. i like foundrs dirty bastard on 10 bucks for a 6er and 8.5abv

39. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

My goodness that looks scary.

RobertColianni likes this.
  40. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I don't drink for the buzz or chase it like many of us did in our youth.

mcrago and bifrost17 like this.