1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your favorite "cheap quick buzz" beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Not anymore, unfortunately. My girlfriend used to live near the Maryland border so we'd drive the 15 minutes to get better prices. Now we live together near Philly, and all beer prices here blow.
  2. Oh holier than thou! :p

Why even bother posting in this thread then?
  3. big flats is the worst beer ive ever tried.
  4. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

If we're talking quick & cheap as in easy to knock back in one night,
    I'd go w/ a six pack of Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat.

If we're talking a cheap, one & done, high abv beer I'd go with Baltika #9 in the can.

If we're talking about a combo of the two, I'd definitely go w/ Boulevard Nutcracker.
  5. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Yea some BA's like to judge the BA's who drink for buzz as well as taste.
  6. PBR or Rolling Rock for me... The liquor I go to usually has both for like $11.99 for a 30.

So its an uncontrollable need to post I see.
  7. Pshh everyone knows that if beer had no alcohol we would all still drink it for the taste ;)
  8. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (345) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

If I'm drinking to get buzzed up I go with my local brewery's IPA (Pearl Street Brewery in La Crosse, WI). It's tasty, and under $8 for a 6 pack. If I bring in the receipt to the tasting room I get a free pint. If I bring back 10 empty 6 pack cases, I get a free growler fill.

I'm a college student in a college town...needless to say, I have gotten quite a few growler fills haha
  9. Derranged

Many would. I don't doubt that there are lot of BA's that drink just for taste.
  10. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Brown shugga. Have never drank a sixer yet. It only hits when I stand up.
  11. mdvatab

mdvatab Savant (440) Indiana Apr 5, 2006

In fairness, I probably should have just left well enough alone, since I didn't agree w/ the whole premise of the thread. Maybe I was grumpy, maybe I had a few drinks, I'm not sure. Since you're pointing this out, I'm sure all of your posts are on-topic and well thought-out, correct? Or do you also have an uncontrollable need to post?
  12. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (295) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor for me. :eek:
  13. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

You can pick up cases of New Glarus beer for $28 most places.
  14. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Usually a local readily available IPA. Can get sixers for $8.00 or less, they're a bit higher octane than other things (6-7%), and refreshing and easy to drink.

Old Chub is also really no more expensive than any other sixer, and it's 8%.

Or, I'm still not above filling a cooler with cans of PBR.
  15. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Really? I bought some for slug bait last spring and tried it. It was really flavorless and a shitty beer for sure but I've certainly tasted worse.
  16. Sierra Nevada Torpedo! 6 pk for $7.99
  17. It is in Springfield/Holyoke/Western MA...$4 a bag, from what I've been told anyways. :cool:
  18. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Genesee Cream Ale sixer of tall boys for $3.99. Or the 30 case for $13.99 for a nice long wknd.
    godlessape likes this.
  19. Eh just saying. Wasn't trying to be a dick. I guess what tone you read that in you could take it that way. And yes I will admit I have an uncontrollable need to post/enter conversations/give my take on things. ;)
  20. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (640) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Natty Ice. If I am looking to get drunk for the best money to alcohol ratio this has got to be one the the highest.
  21. cway2031

cway2031 Zealot (90) Illinois Jan 27, 2013

I drink my mouthwash when I need a quick buzz. Does that count? That Vanilla-Mint Listerine is some good sh*t.
  22. Derranged

Isn't that poisonous?
  23. While its not exactly cheap, Victory Golden Monkey 6 pack for 12.99. All the alcohol of a 12 pack for the same price... but half the fluid and half the full stomach.
  24. cway2031

cway2031 Zealot (90) Illinois Jan 27, 2013

I was just kidding. For the record, I do not recommend anyone drink listerine. Or Scope. Or even Generic Brand Mouth Wash.
  25. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

[​IMG]
    If I want both cheap and tasty I'd go with this one, Bellman 6,0. It's relatively cheap and the 6% packs a decent punch yet it's not overly sweet (which is the downfall of most pale lager beers around 6% and above). Once you get into the 7% pale lager beers they're just sugary sweet and alcoholic with nothing to hide behind (I think this one might still be an all-malt beer, the 7% lager beers all use sugar to boost the alcohol here).
  26. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Zweic Porter, Like licking an aluminum bat that grazed a spill of lousy porter. There is good reason why we don't drink Polish beer.
  27. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

Love me some Tallgrass Halcyon. And they've moved it from the 12oz to the tallboys now!
    djsmith1174 likes this.
  28. But yes, the vanilla mint is delicious.
    cway2031 likes this.
  29. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Say Whaaaaaat???
    We haven't gotten this in Oklahoma City yet,
    still in sixers or just four packs now??
  30. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Otter Creek Spring Bock. Cheap, decent, quaffable and strong enough to get the job done if the job need be done
  31. Derranged

Sorry to hear that. It tasted fine when I had it.
    El_Zilcho likes this.
  32. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

When I saw them they were 4 packs like the rest of the Tallgrass offerings. It's only been this last month that I saw them.
  33. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

4 pack of Old Raspy is only $8.99 around here. 9% abv should do the trick if that's what you're looking for.
  34. Molson Ice and Keystone Ice. Keystone Ice is smoother than what the ratings on here would have you believe in my opinion, and around here you can get ten 24oz. Cans for $10. Neither is a craft beer by any means, but both are smooth lagers with good flavor for what they are.
  35. i dont drink beer for a buzz really i love the taste and styles of beer if i want a buzz i 420
    chocosushi likes this.
  36. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (365) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

Back in the day New Glarus Alt was an absolute steal. $7/sixer for a beer that had 9.5% abv. Drink that sixer and your going to be well on your way. Now it would be either High Life or Best Premium.
  37. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

lately its been 24oz. Milwaukees Best Ice.......... @ 5.9% five or six of these feel pretty good...................
  38. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

Maybe thats why I always find myself in the 30 pack section:confused:
  39. Definitely steel reserve.that 2-1-1 son
  40. Caldera, decent alcohol plus hop high!