1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your favorite Dogfish Head beers.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bradystraps, Apr 6, 2013.

1. I have to say, I really loved the 90 and Burton Baton. Excellent beers. I liked the 60 but found it MUCH better on tap. The 75 was good but didn't measure up to the 90 or BB. 120 is next week. Looking forward to that. For the money, I think I'd choose the 90 as my fave so far.

Cheers!
    MichPaul likes this.
  2. My favorite are World Wide Stout and Burton Baton. I did not care for Midas Touch.
    RobCorriveau, kemoarps and mtalley999 like this.
  3. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

I like 75 a lot, burton baton was good too. Try Palo Santo Maroon, stuff is great..and world wide stout
  4. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

I agree on the Midas Touch. Tasted like a sprayed a really bad lavender perfume in my mouth.
    Bitches Brew is pretty good, along with their Immort Ale. My favorite offering has to be Squall (unfiltered 90 min) and Palo Santo
    CWinchell likes this.
  5. Palo Santo is now on the hit list! :D
    JohnnyMc, jgluck, MIA4IPA and 5 others like this.
  6. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) South Carolina Jun 27, 2012

Fresh 90 is ALWAYS a good choice--tap or bottle

Some of the bomber offerings can be love/hate

Love for me for

Hellhound--very hoppy (EST 100 IBUs) but a solid malt backbone and has a tiny bit of lemon. Delicious
    Rhizing Bines--new collaboration with SN--BIG
    pinnser likes this.
  7. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

I love their "Minute" series, but I could hardly find any maple in 75. Sad.
    kemoarps and mfnmbvp like this.
  8. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) South Carolina Jun 27, 2012

I think the best part of 75 is the bottle conditioning--the maple is very light but the mouthfeel is awesome and very different from 60 and 90.
  9. People say fresh Olde School is too hot. I found the 2012 to be damn fine. But I've still got two bottles in the basement as well as a 2011 that's going to be riding along for a few years.
  10. Although it seems as if DFH is coming out with a new beer every day, they have some really solid beers. Some people hate on them for doing new things/resurrecting ancient recipes, but they are not BMC and are self made. Their new expansion will be done on their own dime, not a greedy bank's. Awesome.
  11. markgugs

markgugs Champion (960) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

Funny, 75-Minute is the only one I enjoy. 60 is one-dimensional to me, and 90 is just boozy and not to my liking. To each his own though.
  12. jnoble

jnoble Aficionado (160) Oklahoma Feb 23, 2012

60, 90 minute, Bitches Brew, Theobrama, and Punkin are my favorite DFH brews. I will try anything they put out though...guess that makes me a fanboy?? Oh well.

Cheers!
    WynnO, Squidly, Lantern and 6 others like this.
  13. dan027

dan027 Savant (330) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2011

I'm a DFH lover. Minute series is great, 120 is my favorite but I like them all. Bitches Brew and Hellhound are awesome, Birra Etrusca was surprisingly good and Festina Peché is extremely underrated IMO. They make a ton of beers and I could go on forever but just keep drinking, some you'll love, some you won't, but they are all pretty cool and unique. If I had to describe them in one word it would be "fun".
  14. TheBrewo

Good point. It does certainly sit apart from the series in that respect, but with their track record and resources I was hoping for more pow in the flavor department as well.
  15. This!
    Horbar and C2H5 like this.
  16. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Savant (495) Colorado Aug 10, 2012

Jesus it's a small world. Sup gugs? (soybomb here)
  17. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Palo Santo Marron was a really nice surpise for me!! Don't read on it just try it!!
    JohnnyMc, jgluck, MarriedAtGI and 2 others like this.
  18. Well put, sir.
  19. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

120, wws, bitches brew, Palo, Burton, chicory, 90, in that order for me
    Lantern likes this.
  20. markgugs

ha, hey man, how's it going? I see you're out in the 'brah now, huh?
  21. 90 and Burton are my favorites too. Others I like, but those I buy whenever I have the chance.
    Lantern, Bradystraps and TongoRad like this.
  22. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Savant (495) Colorado Aug 10, 2012

Trash state with trash beer, but what are you gonna do. At least I scored a Pliny today. Hope all is well, dude.
  23. add Indian Brown and Palo Santo, and that's where I'm at too. Sometimes I'll try something new, but those are my main four. Burton Baton is head and shoulders above the rest, though, and one of my faves to rep the east coast.
    MarriedAtGI and alex_hart like this.
  24. markgugs

all is well, hope the same with you
  25. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Aprihop is a fantastic brew.
  26. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (335) Florida Jan 2, 2013

DFH 90 is fine, 60 is too light, 120 is a freakshow in a bottle. burton baton is delicious, olde school is too hot. the "ancient" series is aweful. hellhound and bitches brew are fantastic.
    hit and miss.
    RichK1, DANABF2, ufmj and 1 other person like this.
  27. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

I'm aging a couple bottles to see if the hops fade to the background and the maple becomes more prominent. I've been sitting on them about a year now -- I think I'll wait another year or so.
    bluejacket74 and TheBrewo like this.
  28. It's an IPA, age for at least two years if you aren't drinking it fresh. I've had fresh, 1 year, and 2 year IPA's and 1 year is funky. Fresh IPAs allow you to get the best possible hop character if you are into tasting that sort of thing, and two years allows the hops to die down and let the sugars come out, but one year lets all the UGLY show through. The one year IPA's I've had have been unpleasant. I have bottles of 120 minute, a bottle of 90 minute, and a bottle of 75 minute stashed, as well as several non-IPA Dogfish Heads.
  29. NumberNone

NumberNone Savant (275) Maryland Mar 12, 2012

75 is probably my least favorite of the Minutes, with 90 as my fave. I've found 120 to be much better on tap than bottle. Minor quibbles though.
    pinnser and hardy008 like this.
  30. I enjoy all of the minute IPAs pretty much in ascending order, allthough I may prefer 75 over 90, and Burton Baton is the best of the lot. I've gone back at least half a dozen times for 120, even at the $10 price tag. It's been mentioned here but I'll second Palo Santo, WWS, Olde School, and Immort. And I know I may catch some flack, but I recently tried Noble Rot and thoroughly enjoyed it as a beer/wine crossover.
  31. RichD

RichD Advocate (615) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

90 minute is delicious and so is 75. Both may be in my top 20. The 60 minute is good. I've yet to venture out and have any other DFH brews but I can imagine that Burton Baton is delicious. I almost grabbed some the other day, but the store I was at was charging like 5 bucks per bottle. Thanks but no thanks.

P.S. I don't know how people didn't pick up the maple syrup taste in 75 minute. It was so prominent when I had a 750 of it.
  32. My two favorites from them are Raison D'etre and 120. 120 aged a bit is a helluva lot better than fresh 120, IMO
    bdtva likes this.
  33. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

Dogfish Head is like the Red Hot Chili Peppers for me. Everyone seems to love them, but I just don't get it. A first I thought it might be me so I tried some more, then I decided it's not me, everyone else is wrong.
  34. I had a growler of the 75. Thought the maple levels were nice on that one.
  35. Well, that settles it.
  36. I recently busted out some 75s I've had in my cellar since 10/12. What you were hoping would happen is exactly what does; the hops recede and the maple comes forward, making for a more balanced beer. Also, yes, I did have a fresh 75 that was recently released to judge against my aged bottle. It was way more hop forward; still good, but I just like 75 aged better.

Bottle conditioned beers are great for aging. When Sam tells you that this one ages well, he's not kidding.
    JohnnyMc and Mediczod like this.
  37. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (695) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I'm kinda shocked to see only one Indian Brown Ale mention.. it's one of my alltime faves.. check it out..
  38. jokemon

jokemon Savant (340) Illinois Apr 3, 2007

The 120 is excellent if you don't mind the sweetness. I recommend aging it for optimum results.
  39. TheBrewo

Hmmm I've never had it on tap. Interesting prospects.
  40. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Palo santo is my favorite from them by far. I got to have it randalled through coconut last night at AC Beer Fest and it was mindblowing
    Brehnert, ufmj, dan027 and 3 others like this.
  41. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

Awesome beer, I love it.
    1up, ESeab and JoeyBeerBelly like this.