1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your favorite Dogfish Head beers.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bradystraps, Apr 6, 2013.

1. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

DFH is awesome in every way. Anyone who wants to complain about their innovation can have a bud light. :rolleyes:

WWS and 120 are probably my favorites, but they're a tad expensive for everyday drinking. 60 or 90 are tasty too, I usually pick up 90 from this one little store I go to that stocks it. I'm very fond of Sah'tea and Pangaea.

Less fond of india brown and midas touch.

Most all their beers are innovative and tasty tho, more power to Sam an 'nem for what they do!

kemoarps and Lantern like this.
  2. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

I'd like to jump on the Indian Brown Ale Bandwagon too.

I usually keep this on the DL but Aprihop and Punkin are 2 of my favorite DFH brews and I don't have to jump through hoops to get them when they're fresh.

kemoarps, GennyCreamAle, ufmj and 4 others like this.
  3. Srs, Palo Santo Marron is a great beer.

4. I have always loved what DFH does. Most of their brews are well done in my opinion. The best of all of them, in my opinion, was Bitches Brew. Is that something they are making/going to make again? Anyone know?

Lantern likes this.
  5. Just tried Palo Santo last weekend amazing
    Indian Brown is stellar
    60-90-120 love em
    75 mehh not so much wasnt impressed
    Bitches Brew I grab whenever I see it
    Hellhound kinda blew imho
    Squall was great wish it was still avail
    FORT holy crap that stuff woooo :eek:

jcb7472 and funhog like this.
  6. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (485) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

Burton Baton and Palo Santo are probably my favorites, but are pretty damn pricey so I don't drink them as often as I'd like to.

kemoarps, dar482 and MarriedAtGI like this.
  7. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Palo Santo is my favorite followed by Indian Brown Ale, Bitches Brew, 75- Min, 90 Min, 60 min.Oh and I forgot to mesntion world wide stout, I had a 2010 the other day and it was heavenly.

I did a tasting on DFH last night, 60 min, 90 min, Burton Baton, and My Antonia. 90 minute outsold all of them by at least three times as much as the number 2. Looks like your not alone.

MarriedAtGI and Bradystraps like this.
  8. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (350) California Sep 28, 2010

been getting more and more of their ancient ales on the west coast and also finally Indian Brown Ale which I bought and enjoyed right away. I have a Noble Rot in the fridge as my first try with their ancient ales. Haven't had too many of their, but Punkin is my favorite easy to get pumpkin beer.

MarriedAtGI likes this.
  9. Burton Baton is indeed a good beer. I actually like Midas touch. Punkin is my all time favorite pumkin beer. I cant wait to try their egyptian beer!

Lantern and MarriedAtGI like this.
  10. Morey

Morey Advocate (525) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

Palo Santo is probably my favorite. I also like Noble Rot and WWS (preferably aged a few years).

JohnnyMc and MarriedAtGI like this.
  11. rc51sport

rc51sport Savant (425) Florida Feb 25, 2013

Burton Baton is incredible
    Palo Santo is not a beginner beer, give it about a year or age in the bottle and drink it around 60deg. Make sure you know what to expect before you sip, it can be intimidating on the first try.
    Also you must try My Antonia

kemoarps and BeerKangaroo like this.
  12. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

90 was the first DIPA I ever had, and it instantly sold me.

ufmj likes this.
  13. And avoid Rhizing Bines like the plague

JohnnyMc likes this.
  14. Streaky

Streaky Aficionado (160) New Jersey Mar 26, 2013

Had a 12oz of it, on tap, and seriously couldn't figure out what was going in in there, but I also didn't have a label to read and explain it to me (interesting question: should you know what a beer is to be able to properly enjoy it? Hmm...)

I'd like to try it again because the first time left me scratching my head.

I felt the same way about some of their other "weirder" beers, Positive Contact, Sah'tea...

Their "big" beers are all fantastic. It seems like when they tone things down (Aprihop), they get a little lost. Except for the Indian Brown Ale, which is incredible, especially on tap.

kemoarps likes this.
  15. rc51sport

rc51sport Savant (425) Florida Feb 25, 2013

Indian Brown IS incredible. I think that when trying common styles such as IPAs, Browns, ect, you shouldn't have to "understand" it to enjoy it. Some more exotic or heavier styles I feel it helps to have an idea of what to expect. Some of the DFH brews could be so different from what you are used to you might not like them on first try. This has happened to me alot. I hate the first bottle, then read descriptions and some reviews to help me understand what they were going for, then absolutely loved the next bottle. If you're not the adventurous type then some beers may not be for you

dar482, sjverla and Streaky like this.
  16. Ell

Ell Aficionado (150) Alabama Mar 17, 2009

Count me among those who find Aprihop delightful. It's so off the beaten path - it's what #9 should be, IMHO.

And drinking fresh DFH 60 on tap in the "Red Shed" at a Washington Nationals game is an awesome experience.

Some of their "odd" offerings seem to be odd for the sake of being odd. I don't mind that necessarily, but it's not a reason to buy/drink a beer.

I did think Hellhound was quite nice - but I'm more a fan of the citrusy hopped beers. I thought My Antonia was disappointing. Although that could be because of my sky-high expectations.

Those of you hating on their beers should just be glad you have the option. I live in Alabama, and only get to drink their stuff when I travel. :(

17. Radome

Radome Advocate (505) California May 24, 2009

If you haven’t tried Palo Santo Maron or World Wide Stout yet, you really need to. They are both in the top five beers I’ve ever tasted. Both of them were nearly religious experiences when I first tried them.

Olde School Barley Wine is also excellent. I feel that Raison D’Etre is under-rated on BA. It is pretty easy to find, so I’d recommend you decide for yourself.

I know some people think he’s gimmicky, but I honestly think Sam Calagione runs the most creative brewing team in the US today. By default that makes them the most creative in the world, since there is no other nation that’s pushing the beer envelope like the US is.

Sorry if it sounds like I’m gushing. Talking about DFH has that effect on me, especially since I can’t get their beers in Europe, where I’m living now.

Bradystraps likes this.
  18. That's the thing, it's only the use of a couple types of yeast strains and Bravo and 644 hops. Nothing really crazy or pushes the envelope. I bought a bottle when it was only a couple weeks old. It was hot, alcoholic and had a lacquer-type aroma too it. For $17.99 I could have gotten a 6-er of SUCKS and a Gatorade.

But yeah, in all honesty I have had lots of their beers and loved them. Burton Baton and 90 minute are my alltime favorites, which is interesting because most of their 'experimental' brews always receive low marks and the ones that aren't get the highest. Either way i drink 60 minute on the regular and wanna visit the brewery. Just really hated Rhizing Bines for what I had to pay.

19. Midas Touch was an interesting one for me. I think Sam described it as a beer-wine hybrid and I would have to agree. It's got the booziness and sweetness of wine to it.

supermodified likes this.
  20. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (220) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

It shines through as it warms. When I first opened the bottle, I was like, "Eww. This does not taste good." As it warmed, the maple came through and I thought it was great.

21. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

I love 90, but actually don't care for 60.

22. Eduk8traz

Eduk8traz Aficionado (185) Arizona Nov 13, 2010

Palo Santo, Indian Brown Ale and Burton Baton are all good beers.

JArena13, Lantern and ESeab like this.
  23. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I wish I had the capacity to age WWS. I just enjoy it too much to wait that long. Eagerly waiting for Sam to put that monster into Pappy barrels and destroy every other stout out there.

24. LMT

LMT Savant (330) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Bought DFH sixty-one (61) yesterday and it is truly unique. I think the negative reviews on BA may be mostly from folks who don't like wine.

If you are a beer AND wine lover, this is a great brew. Refreshing, special, and well worth the price (paid $9 a four-pack).

AND...90 minute and Burton are both great as well. Both are very balanced...which may explain some of the "scoffed at" attitue DFH gets here. It seems that if an IPA isn't a bomb of some type (grapefruit, pine, etc.), it gets little love.

25. Streaky

Streaky Aficionado (160) New Jersey Mar 26, 2013

Oh yeah I just remembered this...I got to go to their pub in DE for the first time last summer and one of the real stand-outs was a brewpub only beer called Choc Lobster, which felt basically like an oyster stout but with lobster shells instead of oysters. I had already done a flight and a half but saw it on the menu and had to try it and then, even though I really didn't need to, I had to have a full pint. That was the end of that night, but it was worth it!

26. With the exception of the ageable 120, it sure sounds like you're wasting a bunch of IPAs.

27. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Raison D'Extra, Fort, 120, 90, 75, Burton, Palo Santo, Indian Brown, Squall, Bitches, Olde School, Red & White, Black & Blue, Hellhound, Sah'Tea, Theobroma...

28. Even after all the different beers I've had, I'm still a Dogfish Head fan. I love their experimental nature even though not everything knocks it out of the park. A good portion of their brewpub-only drafts are awesome.

Some of my favorites would be:

90 Minute
    Burton Baton
    Black & Blue
    Palo Santo
    Midas Touch

And those no longer made:

Hardtack
    Wrath of Pecant!
    Squall

29. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (580) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

The only DFH beer I buy anymore is Palo or if I ever run into Festina.

When I first got into craft beer I would try anything from these guys (and they still distributed to WI at that time). Moved to TX and again it was readily available, but for me, I just dont love the product they put out. 90min was a beer I loved and now it doesnt compare to many of the other great DIPAs.

30. 60
    Burton Baton
    My Antonia
    Indian Brown Ale
    Aprihop
    Olde School Barleywine

How could I forget 75 Minute? I've only had it on cask at the pub, so I can't speak for the bottled version. The cask version was awesome.

Lantern likes this.
  31. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'm going to go oddball and say Theobroma....not sure what it was about that beer but it just clicked for me.

Least favorite

Tweason'ale and Fort

32. 90 minute through a Randall of mosaic hops is one of the best beers I've ever had.

Palo Santo Marron and India Brown are fantastic staples, I wouldn't feel guilty saying DFH knows their way around brown ales better than IPA. Apparently they all get excited there when 60 minute loses share in their portfolio anyway; they want their weird stuff to triumph.

ESeab likes this.
  33. Theobroma had long been my favorite. However, I picked up two different bottles last year and something was really off, or different with the recipe. I'm not sure if they changed it but something wasn't right. I'll give a fresh bottle another go this year though.

I remember Sam saying he never wants to be known as the "60 Minute IPA" brewery.

34. Marry (11) - 90 Minute, 75 Minute (especially on cask at brewpub), Festina Peche, India Brown Ale, Bitches Brew, Noble Rot, Olde School, Palo Santo, Sah'tea, Squall, World Wide Stout - These I would buy again without hesitation.

Date (9) - 60 Minute, Burton Baton, Chateau Jihau, Punkin', Raison D'Etre, Hell Hound, Sixty-One, Theobroma, Wrath of Pecant. These I would drink again without hesitation and will likely buy on ocassion.

Dump (16) - 120 Minute, Aprihop, Birra Etrusca, Black & Blue, Chicory Stout, Faithful, Fort, Immort Ale, Midas Touch, My Antonia, Namaste, Pangea, Red & White, Shelter Pale Ale, Ta Henket, Tweason'Ale. No thanks, some are decent beers, but I'll pass... Others are down right terrible...

35. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Damn, I hope that isn't the case, it has been a long time since I had Theo, and if they changed the recipe that would suck. Going to have to try it again.

36. I can't say they did anything to it, but I wouldn't be surprised. At any rate, I'll gladly give another fresh bottle a shot this year without question.

ironchefmiyagi13 and Hanzo like this.
  37. 1) Palo Santo
    2) My Antonia
    3) 75 Min (cask)
    256) 120 Min.
    257) Black and Red

38. DFH does some great brews. My favorite is probably 75 minute. I just cellared a couple the other day and im going to go back in 1 year and 2 years and see the difference. 90 minute on draft is great and 120 is such a huge beer for me that I usually get a bottle and split it between me and a friend.

39. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

From what I've tried I really like: Indian Brown Ale, Midas Touch, and 90 Minute.

I certainly wouldn't pass on a 60 minute.

I tried a limited release blended with red wine a couple years ago that I didn't like. Beyond that, I haven't been able to try a lot of the others that people are listing.

40. i love the 90, big fan of palo santo and burton baton too

feeling this year's aprihop as well.