1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your favorite Dogfish Head beers.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bradystraps, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

Some of my favorites...

Burton Baton
    Palo Santo
    Positive Contact
    Punkin
    Festina Peche
    Aprihop
  2. canoale

canoale Aficionado (175) Ohio Apr 9, 2010

Good I didn't see anyone mention my fav , good lets keep it that way .

; )
  3. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

I really enjoyed Noble Rot and I am pretty sure a crushed three or four 4-packs of Punkin Ale last year.
  4. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

90 Minute
    Indian Brown
    Burton Baton
    Palo Santo

Still have Bitches Brew, WWS, and 75 Minute in the wings.
    dar482 likes this.
  5. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

Bitches Brew / Olde School Barleywine / 90 Minute IPA
  6. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Neither should you since they're 10% and 12% ABV. I agree though, those two are the best I've bad.

Then comes Indian Brown and 90.

World Wide Stout and 120 are up next.
  7. Chickory Stout is not only my favorite Dogfish Head beer, it's my favorite beer of all, right now.

Indiana Brown Ale is a super duper beer. I love Dogfish Head beers, but they don't sell them in Indiana. I have to cross the Ohio Moat and go to Louisville to buy these beers.
  8. My favorite is definitely Bitches Brew. Probably in my personal top 5.
  9. I like most all of them, but 120, hellhound, theobroma, bitches brew, and palo santo make my top 5.
    beercanman likes this.
  10. The Palo Santo Maron is my all time favorite. I enjor the 75 Minute IPA , Indian Brown and the Burton Baton.
    dar482 likes this.
  11. I attended a DFH tasting recently that featured around 15 DFH beers including Burton, Bines, 90min, Aprihop, and many others. I tried all 15 and I can honestly say I didn't like any of them, not a singly one. They all seemed too watery and like they were going for too much complexity, and I really wanted to like them.
  12. Hock

Hock Aspirant (40) North Carolina Apr 9, 2013

Surprised to see only a couple mentions of Raison D'Etre - love that brew.
    TravisR likes this.
  13. Rob315

Rob315 Savant (335) Kentucky Mar 20, 2010

90min, Indian Brown, Theobroma, Palo, Festina Peche, Aprihop and Burton Baton. I actually enjoy Midas on occasion.
  14. Burton Baton and Raison D'Etre.
  15. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Palo Santo Marron. Easily their best
  16. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (530) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

Namaste and Hellhound on My Ale all day long. I'll buy those pretty much anytime I see them fresh.
  17. Outstanding Beers (8): 90, Squall, Sah-Tea, Immort, Aprihop, Black & Blue, Palo Santo, Bitches Brew
    Good Beers (11): 60, 75 (on cask), Shelter Pale, Punkin, Worldwide, Red & White, Burton, Olde School, Chicory, Fort, Raison
    OK Beers (8): 120 (only with at least a year's age on it), 61, Midas, Theobroma, Namaste, Saison du BUFF, Hellhound, My Antonia
    Godawful Beers (7): Faithfull, Chateau Jiahu, Pangaea, Black & Red, Indian Brown, Festina Peche, Tweason'ale

All of the big collabs ranged from good to OK in this order (hi-low): Poppaskull, Wrath of Pecant, Life & Limb, Popskull, Rhizing Bines (ripoff)

I could name many brewpub exclusive beers that were awesome (DFH Ale, Wet Hop American Summer, Zeno) but most were just one-offs and don't necessarily count. Also, I've had little tastes on-tap of Noble Rot (was OK, just tasted like Midas), Ta Henket (Just tasted like full-on wheat) and Positive Contact (pretty good but I didn't get any cider out of it).
  18. Oh, and I almost forgot Chicha. Just throw that in with the ones that are just OK.
  19. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

Festina Peche
    Palo Santo Marron
    60 Minute
    Black & Blue
    Punkin'
  20. There's nothing as thrilling as 120. It's my dream that my grandchildren will live in a world where 120 is available year round and from coast to coast.
  21. 90, burton baton and indian brown are decent, loved a galaxy black IPA that I had at the brewpub.
  22. Rhizing Bines was a disappointment, especially at the $13 or $14 price tag I bought it at. I'm done with their big bottles for a while now! They are quite pricey for what you get. I do love their 12oz bottle offerings though.
    JohnnyMc likes this.
  23. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Yes yes yes, I told the waitress emphatically that Galaxy Black had to be bottled. It was great.

Personal favorite would have to be Palo Santo Marron. Having the 2008 last summer at the brewpub on tap was delicious.
  24. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

Damn difficult to say, but the ones I like most? Probably 75 Minute, Burton Baton, Palo Santo, Aprihop, Bitches Brew... shit, I could go on.
  25. Palo Santo, 90, WWS
  26. All there beers are good for the most part but these are my favs:

Miles Davis Bitches Brew
    Black & Blue
    Burton Baton
    Olde School
    120 mintue
    90 minute
    75 mintue
    Indian Brown
    Fort
    Shelter Pale Ale
  27. DanU

DanU Aficionado (120) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2013

I am a big fan of Punkin and 60 minute. I thought the aprihop was decent as well. Didn't care much for Rasion or Midas touch, and haven't tried 75, 90 or 120 minute. I haven't been into craft for too long, and my palate is at the point now where I am enjoying IPAs so I don't want to get hooked on DIPAs yet.
  28. RichK1

RichK1 Aficionado (220) Maryland Apr 19, 2009

Have t had the olde school, but I agree with the rest of this. Don't forget the My Antonia - another pretty amazing one.
    rc51sport likes this.
  29. RichK1

RichK1 Aficionado (220) Maryland Apr 19, 2009

DFH is hit or miss for me, but the "hits" are some of my very favorites. They try realllly hard to be interesting - sometimes it's amazing, sometimes not so much. My faves are:

Burton (all time top 5)
    Bitches Brew (top 10)
    90 (top 10 and I am NOT a hop head)
    My Antonia (has no one else brought this up??? Phenomenal!)
    Squall (unfiltered, bottle conditioned version of the 90....no longer in production, but it was also a top 5 - maybe top 3. RIP)

Also a big fan of the Indian Brown and Raison D'ĂȘtre, but neither are in the same class as the others. Aprihop is nice too.

On the other side, Birre Etrusca, Noble Rot and Immortal Ale....eh.

Living 15 minutes from a DFH Ale House....simultaneously wonderful and dangerous.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    rc51sport likes this.
  30. 90 is fantastic. one of my favorite IPA's.
  31. haknort

haknort Savant (265) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

120, Raison d'Extra, Worldwide, Squall.

But absolute fave is the Savor Flowers collab with Sam Adams. No other beer like it anywhere. Wish they made more...
  32. JArena13

JArena13 Savant (360) Pennsylvania Nov 14, 2012

Pretty much what everyone said. Indian Brown, Burton, Palo, 90. But one I had at the brew pub which was awesome was Ghost of Shanobi. A black IPA I thought it was incredible.

If your lucky enough to go on a Monday or Friday try whatever is on the "Randall". I had 90 thru that and was amazing.
  33. scud

scud Savant (315) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

Does that make you a Ta Henket fan?
  34. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

120 Minute. World Wide Stout. Liquid Breadfruit.
  35. I'm not a huge DFH guy, but Bitches Brew is very good, and I drink the hell out of Festina Peche every summer.
  36. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Palo Santo is my fave followed closely by Burton Baton.

I will stick up for Midas Touch...think it is great melding of wine, mead, and beer. Not for every day, but I love the stuff as a treat. And I like Red and White, wife and I both like Namaste.

The minutes are good, reliable. Ancient ales are hit or miss. Overall, I like their stuff. They hit for a pretty good average and throw in a home run once in a while for me.
  37. hornsup

hornsup Savant (310) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

Punkin, 90, Indian Brown...didnt like 120 at all
  38. Palo Santo Maron
    Immort Ale
    Burton Burton
    90min
    World Wide Stout
    Olde School
    120min