Your favorite easy to find English Barleywine?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dsal89, Dec 20, 2012.

1. ...is not easy to find.

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  2. I also forgot to mention Shipyard's (Maine, I think, but distributed widely) Pugsley's Signature Series Barleywine. About 8.5%, if I recall, comes in 22oz bottles, and quite good (and often overlooked).

3. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Weird that Third Coast Old Ale has only been mentioned once, I know it's not technically a Barleywine but that's a pretty thin line. Readily available in 12oz bottles, decent price, delicious fresh and ages wonderfully. Third Coast Old Ale >>>>> Bigfoot

elephantrider likes this.
  4. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Old Foghorn is awesome.
    Have some Third Coast at home and can't wait to try it!

5. Sure it is: I know exactly where to find it in my cellar. ;-P

queens1130, dsal89 and fujindemon74 like this.
  6. No. Worth clarification perhaps.
    Many BAs are misdirected by what they have read and by faulty style guidelines that English brewers have one style of brewing and American brewers have another.So there arises the concept of say American IPAs and English IPAs for example.
    But this assumes that all brewers over here just "stick to tradition" whereas US brewers are innovative, use masses of hops and produce a different product.This isn't the case at all ,lots of UK brewers are using masses of US hops in some of their beers whereas many US brewers craft beers close to good old fashioned English style ales and porters.
    Styles are dynamic , things change as they generally always have done.I go to the pub for a pint of bitter and am faced with an array stretching from the sort of beer I was drinking 50 years ago to the pale, highly hopped brews which have been appearing in increasing numbers over the last 15 or so years.
    We have over 1000 breweries to serve 60 million people ; they are all competing for a slot in the market and they don't do that by restricting their repertoires.
    Is it too much to ask for people to distinguish between beers brewed in England from beers brewed in the US to an assumed "english style" ?

JdoubleA likes this.
  7. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (380) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

Thomas Hardy 2008 was still on the shelves at Wiseguys last I checked. $20\4pk might seem expensive, but its about half the cost of JW Lees, though just as good.

dsal89 likes this.
  8. This is a really good, and highly under rated beer, that I often forget about.

9. Dude asked about recommendations for easily accessible english (english style if you prefer) barleywines, and didn't seem the least bit concerned with anyone's recommendations.

Your contributions to this thread do not include a single recommendation & border on being tedious intrusions.
    Calm down already.

10. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

My bad.

11. dsal89

Thanks, sir!

12. dsal89

I did appreciate everyones help. I went to bed shortly after posting that thread and reading it now :)

fujindemon74 likes this.
  13. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I like Horn Dog, but I definitely don't like it fresh. 2008 is drinking perfectly, right now.

That said, it's all over the place on shelves in MD, where I am.

2beerdogs likes this.
  14. If you read my original post it was a simple request for people to distinguish between what comes from England and what doesn't.
    If you must; JWLees, Woodfordes Headcracker, Adnam's Tally Ho, Fuller's Golden Pride and Vintage Ale (basically the same and excellent on cask) , Parish Brewery Baz's Bonce Blower, Medieval Ales' Hung, Drawn and Quartered to name a few from the top of my head.

Etan likes this.
  15. BELGIAN QUAD IS NOT A STYLE!

Oh, sorry... Flashback. Bit of my post-traumatic thread disorder acting up again.

2beerdogs likes this.
  16. dawatts

dawatts Savant (315) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

+1 for Abacus (English)
    +1 for Old Numbskull (American)

17. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

Ah, all very excellent, EASY TO FIND recommendations...

Bakker and fujindemon74 like this.
  18. Well, not trying to be a smart ass at all, but he asked about a different style. If he wanted Mericans' he probably would have had a different title to the thread...Right? American Barleywines are great, but often with much more of a hoppy character. English Barleywines are among my favorite styles because they don't have that hoppy bite...Smooth, malty, and strong...

19. I did read it...and how exactly did this help OP make a shopping list?
    Btw, I was not the first BA to point out the tedious nature of your contribution.
    OP did not sound like he was writing a dissertation.

20. Depends where you are

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  21. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

The US.....just like the OP.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  22. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Is it too late to update my list for Santa?;)

dsal89 and fujindemon74 like this.
  23. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

^^Easy to find?!?!? On what planet?

dsal89 likes this.
  24. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Easy to find is

Old Foghorn
    Our Finest regards

Cheers!

dsal89 likes this.
  25. dsal89

So far a lot of Horn Dogs (that came out bad) and Old Foghorns. I think ill be grabbing those two if i see them!

2beerdogs likes this.
  26. Why are you apologizing to someone that came in with "look at how smart I am compared to all of you" and failed to give a single recommendation?

You asked for recommendations, not advice on how to write a thesis.

bifrost17 likes this.
  27. dsal89

I think not. Santa is a magical man. He can do just about anything with a few days to spare

fujindemon74 likes this.
  28. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

Where is King Henry easy to find? I want to go to there.

2beerdogs and fujindemon74 like this.
  29. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (460) California Dec 21, 2011

In the theme of nitpicking since a lot of it has gone on in this thread, are "King Henry", "Abacus", and "JW Lees" easy to find barleywines? And if they are, where? So I can visit more often. Most readily attainable barley wines in my area are hoppy American barley wines and I don't prefer those. Unless I'm forgetting something, the only English barley wine I see year round at certain bottle shops is Shipyard's Pugsley Series BW. We get Sucaba but not all the time.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  30. As marquis stated...it just depends on where you are :confused:

31. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I had Golden Pride on cask last week. Not in the greatest condition, to be honest. They haven't quite got the knack of looking after cask beer in Wildeman. They keep it too cold and it doesn't condition. Not so much of a problem with Golden Pride.

I'd love to drink full-strength Whitbread Gold Label again. I do have a recipe, from the early 1970's, when it was brewed at Chiswell Street. Just promise to send me some of the beer and you're welcome to the recipe.

32. dsal89

He seemed really upset about it and i didnt want the stress of this thread giving him an ulcer so i just wanted to make nice

:)

33. Because when you make a shopping list it helps to know exactly what you're looking for.
    Did he want English barley wines or similar ones from elsewhere?

34. As Jim Wendler likes to say, you're majoring in the minors here.

On a different note, your OCD attention to semantics was actually helpful to the guy that inquired about the difference between a bitter & pale ale.

mtalley999 likes this.
  35. RDMII

RDMII Savant (340) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

All of the above. Seriously.

36. How many people googled the word pedantry?

Beer is like, well you know , the best two you ever had was your first one and your last one , wait , thats not right at all

Drew26 likes this.
  37. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I personally love Liftbridge's Commander. Fantastic Barleywine but of course Harvest Ale but again that's far more expensive so $4$ Commander imo. Also Monster which is now flooded throughout my area, gotta grab me a case of that and Brooklyn's BCS still.

dsal89 likes this.
  38. akbeerfiend

akbeerfiend Aficionado (110) Alaska May 14, 2009

I agree and am interested in just how and why the "scottish ale" label was developed by american breweries

39. Old Horizontal, once they start brewing it again.

dsal89 likes this.
  40. For me... OHB Irish Walker. Yummy!