1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your favorite easy to find English Barleywine?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dsal89, Dec 20, 2012.

1. MrIncognito

MrIncognito Savant (305) Virginia Jan 30, 2008

Dominion Millennium Ale. Hoppier than expected with a nice honey sweetness. Gets a bit cloying with age, though, and a bit syrupy
  2. Easiest to get by me are Old Foghorn and Monster Ale, for American-made English-style Barleywine (is that sufficient, marquis?), Old Foghorn being my preference. Avery's Samael isn't too hard to come by, either, but it's fucking gross, so avoid it. I'll put Old Stock Ale up here, too. I know it's called an Old Ale, but let's cut the bullshit, it's a Barleywine.

For English-made English-style Barleywine, JW Lees Harvest Ale, Fuller's Vintage Ale, and Old Tom are the easier to find, though JW Lees is definitely the creme de la creme.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  3. When someone says Indian Pale Ale, they don't mean a pale ale from India. It was clear what the OP meant.
    fujindemon74 and 2beerdogs like this.
  4. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

What, making sense;)
  5. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (515) California Sep 13, 2009

Easy, Ale Smith Old Numbskull. A 750 ml bottle of that stuff and your feeling good, really good...
  6. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

People on this site claim beer is as high faluting as wine or any other beverage, but you could never dream of being so loose with terms in the wine, whiskey or whatever world.
  7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Samuel Smith Strong Golden is another good one though I don't know if it's any easy find even in the UK.
  8. +1 to the Arcadia Cereal Killer. The OP will have to hop across the border to IL or MI to get it, but it's on store shelves now.
  9. Wooly Bugger !! { Howe Sound} :)
  10. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Oh Sh*t!!! I wanted to try this one, but they didn't have it when I was there in July. Send me some!:p
    pudoo likes this.
  11. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

. Because then you'd end up with labels like "american brewed english style barleywine style ale," which would be pretty lame, for lack of a better descriptor.
  12. I couldn't like this enough.

Srs.
    This is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier.
    Bakker likes this.
  13. Bitterbill

I don't know. When I read the OP's subject line, I really didn't think of BWSAs from the US. Just Barley Wines from the UK.
    tewaris likes this.
  14. You & marquis...
    Bakker likes this.
  15. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

Ditto.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  16. Bitterbill

Well, if the subject line said American IPAs, I wouldn't suggest IPAs from Brewdog or Mikkeller, if you catch my drift.
  17. You're in the minority, just sayin'.
  18. surge1311

surge1311 Savant (305) Rhode Island Oct 10, 2012

abolutely this is my choice as welll
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  19. Can I get an opinion on whether Fullers Vintage Ale qualifies as barley wine? I have always considered this to be a traditional (if not higher than average abv) Old Ale?

It drinks pretty dry - and boy does it age beautifully. Love this beer.

Anyway, my two favorite are JW Lees (especially calvados) and Sucaba. Victory Old Ho gets my vote as a tweener, and when well aged is probably my favorite beer.
  20. CW BBBW is a great beer no doubt, but not an English. It's a great example, along with its base Y2K of an American Barleywine.
  21. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

And why exactly is that a problem?
  22. OP had his thread jacked by marquis who wanted to discuss semantics instead of beer.
  23. tewaris

Does OP own this thread?
  24. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (510) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

Alaskan is American style not English I support your wanting to try it. It's great. Very hoppy fresh, less so as it ages, naturally.
  25. Bakker

Bakker Savant (285) Illinois Aug 1, 2010

English barleywines are sweet, smooth, and friendly. You should try one and share it with your friend marquis.
  26. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

For my favorite English style barleywines are Brooklyn Monster and Mediceno,price and quality for both.Cheers
    Bitterbill likes this.
  27. tewaris

That time of the night, eh?
  28. I would say it does.Whether there's any difference between Old Ale and Barley wine is debatable and the BJCP for instance places Fuller's Golden Pride in the Barley wine class but Vintage Ale in the Old Ale class. You've guessed it, they are basically the same brew.Vintage Ale is cherry picked Golden Pride.
    I pinched this gem from this article written by Martyn Cornell who has researched the topic pretty exhaustively;
    http://zythophile.wordpress.com/201...e-difference-between-barley-wine-and-old-ale/
    tai4ji2x likes this.
  29. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

Just walked into my local store and grabbed two bottles

oh wait
    InVinoVeritas likes this.
  30. Bitterbill

I really dig an aged Brooklyn Monster. Sadly, I have none left.
  31. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Loved that I was buying 2010 Monster at $8./4pk best deal around,but alast it is all gone