1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your Favorite Founders IPA Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MortalKombat14, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Founders Stout's get all of the attention from Beer lovers, I was wondering what everyone's favorite IPA from them is.

Some of their IPAs are:
    All Day IPA
    Black IPA
    Centennial IPA
    Devil Dancer
    Doom
    Double Trouble
    Harvest Ale

Me Personally? Well I've only had Centennial, Harvest Ale and one pour of All Day. So I'd go with Harvest Ale mostly because of the style and it being wet hopped. Looking forward to trying Doom in less than 2 weeks and Double Trouble at the beginning of May. I'll try to get my hands on Devil Dancer in June.
  2. never had one.
    rgfellow likes this.
  3. double trouble is awesome, wish i saw it around here more often. i'll try to find doom once it's released...as long as the price isn't jacked around here or new york i'll grab it
  4. id vote for harvest as well tho i havent tried double trouble yet. their ryePA is also dank not a true ipa but thats prolly my 2nd fav
  5. I can tell you which one's the worst... Devil Dancer!

But yeah I'd have to go with Harvest Ale, although Doom will probably win when I try it. I love BBA IPAs.
    Rimbimhoot likes this.
  6. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Harvest and Centennial. 2 of my favorite IPAs in general.

Haven't had Double Trouble yet.
  7. All Day IPA is the ultimate session brew. Harvest is awesome, although I found last year's to be a bit light. These are my two personal favorites.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  8. I've only had All Day and Double Trouble. Would have to go with Double Trouble, was very good.
  9. Agreed. Harvest blew me away in 2011, but last year's was just good. Although it could be my palate changing...
  10. Harvest. Possibly my favorite IPA from any brewery.
    khall62, HopDiggityDawg and MC6 like this.
  11. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (420) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

I've only had all day and centennial and I really enjoyed both of them. I really look forward to double trouble in may and harvest in the fall. If I had to pick out of the two I've had, centennial.
  12. Harvest then double trouble out of the ones I've tried, not a huge centennial fan.. All day is decent but I'd rather have Lag's daytime IPA.

Harvest ale is special though, one of the best if not the best fresh hop/wet hop IPA's out there.
  13. Double Trouble hands down, Devil Dancer was just plain bad! Looking forward to Doom though.
  14. I'm clearly in the minority. I'll say Devil Dancer, Double Trouble, Harvest, Centennial, and Day Time, in that order.

I get that Devil Dancer is really syrupy and all, but I don't really find that to be a bad thing in this beer. I love that it's this huge hop and malt abomination.

Of course, I also really liked Southern Tier's Blackwater Series and Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA, which many others seem to find to be too much as well.
    Lantern likes this.
  15. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Only had Centennial and All Day. Neither was very good and both belong on the bottom rung of IPAs IMO. I'll drink FBS and especially FIS all day but those IPAs can't hold a candle to other products I can buy on a daily basis
  16. ufmj

ufmj Savant (395) Florida Feb 15, 2013

All Day...all day.
    copslovebeer likes this.
  17. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Let's not forget Red's Rye PA! It's honestly probably my favorite.. but they're all great..

Red's Rye PA
    Harvest Ale
    All Day IPA
    Double Trouble
    Centennial
    Devil Dancer
    looseteeth likes this.
  18. ISO: Your "daily basis" IPAs!!
  19. Swik

Swik Savant (290) Indiana Oct 2, 2012

Double trouble for sheezy
  20. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Devil Dancer. Yes, really.
  21. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Centennial tastes like 2H Ale to me, which isn't a bad thing.
  22. Harvest Ale without a doubt...oh so fucking good!!!
    khall62 and HopDiggityDawg like this.
  23. Fresh Red's Rye.
    jimctin likes this.
  24. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (160) Finland Oct 18, 2012

Yeah, I have had only Centennial and Red Rye. I haven't impressed. I think they were old bottles though.
  25. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Double Trouble and then Centennial. Closely followed by Red's Rye
  26. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Double Trouble by a long shot. Then Harvest. Then Centennial.
  27. MBoydL

MBoydL Aficionado (120) Ohio Dec 22, 2010

Double Trouble is great....better than Hopslam in my opinion. Also I will echo what has been said already...Devil Dancer is my least favorite. It's just way over done on the hops. What is the point of creating an IPA that has to be aged to get it down to a drinkable level, when you could have just hopped it appropriately to begin with and then drink it fresh.
  28. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

Harvest is my favorite, followed closely by Double Trouble.
    HopDiggityDawg likes this.
  29. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

I've never had the Black IPA or Doom but out of the others my choice would be Centennial. One of the best IPA's out there IMO.
  30. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (575) California Aug 26, 2009

Red's Rye... the beer that started my love for rye pales. For regular IPAs, it's a toss up between Harvest and All Day.
  31. Harvest is fantastic. All Day had a great hop profile, but being lower alcohol, too light bodied for me.
  32. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Harvest ale all the way. Every day it gets closer.
  33. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Centennial
    miwestcoaster likes this.
  34. Reds Rye then Harvest Ale
  35. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Agree with this.
  36. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) South Carolina Jun 27, 2012

Harvest Ale--goes quick and can't let it sit long
    DT
    Centennial

I cannot WAIT for DOOM--probably harder to get than KBS as much more limited output.
  37. a74gent

a74gent Savant (395) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

None...and that is said as a Founders fanboy. Use some different hops please!!

But if I had to take one...Harvest.
  38. Rob315

Rob315 Savant (335) Kentucky Mar 20, 2010

Of the ones I''ve tried so far, double trouble, centenial, all day, devil dancer. I haven't tried black, harvest, or reds rye yet.
  39. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (570) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

+1 to this.

I would put Double Trouble third
  40. Jamison85

Jamison85 Savant (320) Indiana Mar 23, 2013

I completely agree. Devil Dancer is ridiculously good. Also a big fan of 120 min. I think we have both had a lupulin threshold shift. No such thing as too much hops.
    Lantern likes this.