1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your Favorite Pumpkin Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by drmcleod10, Aug 7, 2014.

1. drmcleod10

drmcleod10 Savant (485) Missouri Oct 14, 2013

St. Louis started getting their seasonal pumpkin beers in recently, and thought this would be a good time to get this conversation started.

Top 3 favorite pumpkin beers.

Surprisingly no. 1 for me goes to:

Crown Valley Imperial Pumpkin Smash
    ST Pumking
    Schlafly Pumpkin

Would love to expand my palate for pumpkin beers this season and try some new ones.

Thanks,
    Dylan
  2. I smoke a Turkey every year for Thanksgiving. Takes about 19 hours. I check the smoker about every 2 hours. At that point I try to crack a pumpkin beer. Basically a 24 hr marathon.

CCB Good Gourd - Hands down all time favorite.

If anyone gets their hands on something thats really worth trying BM me and we can set something up.
  3. pjvie

pjvie Aficionado (210) New Jersey May 30, 2014

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale. I've tried quite a few and this one was just delicious to me
    cope9559, NEO68710, Mongrel and 13 others like this.
  4. This one is fantastic

[​IMG]
  5. mkez

mkez Zealot (80) Wisconsin May 2, 2014

I'm a big fan of warlock.
  6. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Williamsburg Alewerks pumpkin
    Unita Oak Jacked
    Pumking
  7. I like punkn....however im giving pumking one last shot this year..if its still as terrible as i remember then bye bye birdie
    NonicPanic and thomda11 like this.
  8. Big fan of Punkn and Cottonwood Pumpkin.
  9. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale is my fave, besides ST Pumking.. I highly recommend it..
    mrdonno1970, RobDB, boehmer7 and 6 others like this.
  10. guinness77

guinness77 Savant (465) New York Jan 6, 2014

Schlafly FTW for me.
    The Weyerbacher imperial is pretty good too. I did a ST mix of creme brûlée and the pumpking last year and it was pretty awesome. Might have to do that again.

I have to add...nothing drives me crazier than them rimming the glass at a bar or a pub with the cinnamon and sugar. It's like putting a lemon in my hefeweizen without asking...are you shitting me?
  11. NJBeer265

NJBeer265 Advocate (590) New Jersey May 21, 2013

1 - Whole Hog Pumpkin from Stevens Point
    2 - Imperial Pumkin from Weyerbacher
    3 - Pumpkin Ale from Horseheads Brewing

I will say that pumpkin beers are coming out way to early this year. I cannot enjoya good pumkin beer when it is still 90 degrees out.
    mrdonno1970, RobDB, boehmer7 and 5 others like this.
  12. Mshull

Mshull Aficionado (205) Ohio Mar 26, 2013

Without a doubt St pumking is the best, got the chance to trade for good gourd last year and was very disappointed
    ElmiraBeerGuy and Kerrie like this.
  13. zachpaschal

zachpaschal Savant (365) Indiana Apr 5, 2014

Haven't tried a pumpkin beer yet but I picked up ST Pumking and Schlafly Pumpkin Ale the other day to dive into the style. How well do these keep? I bought some Brooklyn Post Road Pumpkin late last year for my wife to make some pumpkin beer bread out of (that was fantastic) and I never ended up drinking them. I still have a couple. Should they still be good or should I just throw them out?
    ElmiraBeerGuy likes this.
  14. I can easily go without pumpkin beers, and don't go out of my way to find them, but I do enjoy Pumking the most out of them so far, followed by DFH Punkin.
    cope9559 and ElmiraBeerGuy like this.
  15. drmcleod10

This is true... it's early August...
    SteveD082791 likes this.
  16. Hendry

Hendry Savant (405) Vermont Mar 8, 2013

Nothing has come close to Aleworks Pumpkin so far
    funcooker78, spitshaded and cmmcdonn like this.
  17. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I also think Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) gets slept on because Shipyard Pumpkinhead is so bad.. but Smashed Pumpkin is really good..
  18. NJBeer265

I started seeing them in stores at the end of July. It is getting a bit ridiculous now.
    thufflife likes this.
  19. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

Schlafly hands down for me.

Oh, and Hoppin Frog's BA pumpkin beer is pretty dang good too, underrated IMO.
    MsMae42 likes this.
  20. guinness77

guinness77 Savant (465) New York Jan 6, 2014

I've never "aged" a pumpkin beer before, but, why not give it a try? You already own it, you can always drain it if it sucks.
  21. thufflife

thufflife Advocate (540) Missouri Sep 30, 2005

For me Schlafly pumpkin ale is the best one ive ever had.
  22. I'm a huge fan of Uinta's Oak Jacked, it's very underrated.
  23. ChainGangGuy

ChainGangGuy Advocate (650) Georgia Sep 27, 2004

I'll cheerfully sample any new ones available hoping for an astounding, otherworldly pumpkin experience, and, usually, I make sure to enjoy a few bottles of ST Pumking. Sometimes, a couple Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkins work their way into the mix.
  24. MLDucky

MLDucky Savant (270) Texas Oct 12, 2013

Pumking hit this week in Austin. Today is scheduled for 101. 108 with the heat index. Granted there is air conditioning, but pumpkin is the furthest thing on my mind in terms of drinking, lol. Then again, when it does get cooler here, they will all be out of distribution, hah.
    NJBeer265 likes this.
  25. zachpaschal

zachpaschal Savant (365) Indiana Apr 5, 2014

That was what I was thinking. I didn't intentionally age it! LOL Just wasn't something I wanted to try and now as I have broadened by beer horizons figured I would give it a shot
  26. Broanoke

Broanoke Savant (410) Virginia Feb 23, 2013

Maple Mistress and Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin were 2 stand outs for me last year.
    thomda11 likes this.
  27. NJBeer265

I had one last weekend at my friend engagement party and I just couldn't enjoy it siting out in his backyard when it was 88 out. I'll wait until the start of October to start enjoying them. Stay cool out there.
  28. This thread is right up my alley. Last year I tried at least 20 different pumpkin beers. I have the list on my phone. Unfortunately I'm at my office and my phone is on my nightstand. One of those days. Anyway here are the ones I remember liking off the top of my head last year. I'll get my phone at some point and update this list.

ST Pumking (2013 seemed like an off year for it compared to 2012 but still enjoyable)
    ST Warlock
    Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin
    Fegleys Devious Pumpkin
    Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin
    Dogfishhead Punkin
    Uinta Oak Jacked
    Schlafly Pumpkin
    Rogue Chateau Pumpkin Patch
    Elysian Night Owl
    Ithaca Country Pumpkin
    Philadelphia Brewing Co Kenz-O-Lantern (very different but after a few sips I enjoyed - tasted like those Sweetzels Spiced Wafer cookies. This one is very spicy.)

There were others I enjoyed and some I did not. I will update accordingly later.

This year I plan to try more than last year and take notes on each. At the top of my list of must find is Alewerks.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  29. ConradKenney

ConradKenney Savant (255) Maryland Nov 14, 2013

Greater Pumpkin is outstanding. The rest of the Heavy Seas Unchartered Waters series to me is meh, but that one is so good.
    mitch3114 likes this.
  30. Lionhawk

Lionhawk Savant (340) Iowa Nov 14, 2012

Pumpkin beers aren't my thing at all. Think are all taste mediocre but if i had to pick one that i could actually drink it would be Schlafly.
    cck5 likes this.
  31. Ohiovania

Ohiovania Savant (340) Ohio Aug 13, 2008

#1 Shlafly
    #2 Pumking blended with Dragons Milk (can't do straight Pumking anymore)
    cjgiant, Homebrew and BeerMeInStl like this.
  32. Rob315

Rob315 Savant (335) Kentucky Mar 20, 2010

Of the ones I have regular access to:
    ST Pumking
    Wyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin
    Schlafly Pumpkin

Favorite of all time:

CCB Good Gourd
  33. JDice20

JDice20 Savant (300) Louisiana Aug 14, 2013

Saint Arnold Pumpkinator - God mode

CCB Good Gourd

ST Pumking

in that order
    darthvohn, shnsajax and fredmugs like this.
  34. drmcleod10

35. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Savant (280) Ohio Nov 19, 2009

Hard to limit this to only 3 - there are so many damn good pumpkin brews out now....here are a "few" I dig (have had over 60 pumpkin beers the past few years)

Elysian Night Owl / Great Pumpkin / Dark O the moon
    Schlafly Pumpkin
    Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin
    SA Fat Jack Imp Pumpkin
    Rogue Chatoe Rogue Pumpkin
    Hoppin Frog Pumpkin and BA version
    Fegley's Devious
    Williamsburg Alewerks Pumpkin
    Steven's Point Whole Hog Pumpkin
    Lakefront Brandy BA Pumpkin Lager
    DFH Punk'in
    Fat Heads Spooky Tooth Imp Pumpkin
    Flying Dog The Fear Imp Pumpkin
    Uinta Oak Jacked Imp Pumpkin
    ST Warlock
    Cape Ann Imperial Pumpkin Stout

Looking forward to these new ones in 2014;

Terrapin Pumpkin Pie Porter
    Elysian Punkuccino Coffee Pumpkin
    Brewery Vivant Pumpkin Tart
    Coronado Punk' N Drublic Imp Pumpkin
  36. ScottJWing

ScottJWing Savant (310) Ohio Aug 21, 2013

Any answer other than CCB Good Gourd or Good Gourd Almighty is wrong ;)
    mgr78704 likes this.
  37. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Savant (280) Ohio Nov 19, 2009

These should keep ok for a year or 2 - the Brooklyn Post Road - not as much as the stronger - higher ABV ones, but should be alright....I have pumpkin beers 2-3 years old and they are still drinking fine from my cellar
    st9647v3 and zachpaschal like this.
  38. Broanoke

Broanoke Savant (410) Virginia Feb 23, 2013

Do you know the release date of it this year?
  39. On the subject of aging pumpkin beers - I replied in another thread how my GF bought me a case of 2012 Pumking and obviously it took me awhile to drink. I had a 4-5 bottles heading into the summer and following fall. The bottles I drank in the summer and the one or two I saved for the 2013 season didn't taste as good. They lost something and many of the flavors seemed muted. That was Pumking.

Now with some of the oak aged pumpkins I can certainly see those aging well.
  40. jblain

jblain Savant (255) Florida Feb 27, 2014

CCB Good Gourd. Nothing else even comes close.