1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your Feel Good Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Heatwave33, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (540) Florida Sep 13, 2011

Was having another rough day about a week ago. Got home from work and opened my fridge and was wishing for a Heady Topper. That beer just melts away my stress better. So it had me thinking what is everyones ONE Feel Good beer?
  2. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Whatever I drink first.
  3. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (815) California Jan 15, 2009

Sanctification (followed closely by Cantillon Kriek).

And, when those are not in my stash, believe it or not, I find that Cuvee Rene really does the job for a "feel good" after a bad day, stress, etc. (All in small format bottles so I can just open them for myself!)
  4. anything with hops!
    Lantern likes this.
  5. Brooklyn BCS, Flower Power, HeBrew Lenny's R.I.P.A., or any of the ST Imperial Stouts.
  6. Bourbon-Barrel Aged Bourbon. It'll gitcha drunk!
  7. I've got a 100% success rate with Schlenkerla Urbock and Rodenbach Grand Cru, and I never stray too far from either one.
    thecheapies and herrburgess like this.
  8. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Mad River Steelhead Extra Stout or Smuttynose Robust Porter
  9. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

New Belgium Ranger in the NB Globe, if another glass. Doesnt work.

Cheers!
    nickmantia likes this.
  10. In order of accessibility: Hennepin, Flower Power, FBS, Backwoods Bastard
  11. Deviant Dales, Sixpoint Bengali Tiger, Ommegang BPA or Green Flash Rayon Vert are my go-to's for a feel good beverage.
  12. Whatever the fourth one is

Enjoy
    Lantern likes this.
  13. Either something hoppy from Lagunitas or a quality German lager. They both work every time.
    TongoRad likes this.
  14. triplep

triplep Disciple (50) Alabama Jan 2, 2011

Sweetwater IPA. Always makes me feel better
    CBlack85 likes this.
  15. I really try not to associate beer with relieving stress. To me beer is always a joy to drink and not something I use or consume to take away the stress, but maybe that's just me. Who knows. So to answer your question I'll answer: none.
    LeRose and Andygirl like this.
  16. Ten Fidy makes me feel pretty damn good.
    Lantern and fullmetal1381 like this.
  17. New Glarus Moon Man takes me to my happy place:)
    Ri0 and Bitter_Echo like this.
  18. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Great Divide Yeti. I love the quick head warmth that notes the start of a healthy buzz after the first yeti. From there it's downhill.....
  19. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Hoponius Union and Smoke and Dagger from Jack's Abby will put a smile on my face. I can see Backwoods Bastard fitting that bill too - something I can sip on and just relax and enjoy. But I agree with musicman7070 - I don't look at it as stress relief - just something to enjoy.

Kind of a parallel (maybe opposite) example, I keep an "angry music" playlist, and it ain't ABBA and the Partridge Family. Find if I play "happy music" I just get more pissed off. So I sure wouldn't want to "use" beer that way - it brings me too much happiness to think of it as a tool. I find if I am really totally bummed I won't drink a beer at all.
    msween21 likes this.
  20. Usually hoponius! Tonight I think I will mix it up with a saxonator. Go celtics
    LeRose likes this.
  21. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Easy street wheat. Don't ask why, it just makes me happy when I sip on it. When I have a homebrew come out really well I'll usually get super giddy when I drink it. But who wouldn't get stupid happy when their beer turns out well?
  22. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

23. OMB Copper followed closely by SN Torpedo
  24. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

When I really want to be cheered up I find an ISO that has no chance of succeeding, but which has some sort of likely made up personal story of woe inserted needlessly therein, then I drink the beer that person wants.
  25. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

BCBS seems to work rather well.
  26. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Buffalo Sweat - Tallgrass
  27. Union Jack IPA, but if I lived in Vermont, I would have a never-ending supply of Heady Topper. Greatest Beer Ever
  28. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

depends upon the season. Winter= bcbs Summer= something lighter like koko brown.
    (although I'll confess my real preferred summer drink is our "house sangria" made from a good spanish red, blood orange juice, oranges, peaches, strawberries, limes, and a very heavy dose of cognac. PERFECT for floating in the pool drunk!)
  29. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

After a shitty day a nice Hopsickle works wonders.
  30. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hopped IPA from North Peak. Once a year. A reason to like late fall. (Fresh, of course!)
  31. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I usually feel good after drinking most beers.
  32. You know, I actually did think of one to relieve stress...

Left Hand... ;)
    CurtFromHershey likes this.
  33. Rodenbach Grand Cru, Duchesse De Bourgogne, Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, and Stone IPA.
    TongoRad likes this.
  34. If I could go with anything, BCBS. For something readily available Furious.
  35. Breakfast Stout No Doubt. So delicious and easy to drink. Makes me smile every time.
  36. Vivs85

Vivs85 Aficionado (205) New York Nov 29, 2012

I think of feel good beers as anything that can be considered an old reliable, meaning its always on the shelf (easy to find), and is a solid choice at any time... Obviously it would be nice to have BCBS anytime I need a beer... but that's not possible, for me at least

90 minute IPA, Ruination, or Founders Porter... always available, and always hit the spot
  37. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Wake N Bake, Heady
  38. Two hearted.

Honorable mentions to celebrator and SN summerfest (perfect golf beer)
  39. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

Stone IPA. :D
    njhopspop likes this.