1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your least favorite style of beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, Mar 15, 2013.

1. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (575) California Aug 13, 2011

Mine would have to be a Pumpkin Ale or a Saison.

It's not that I don't particularly like saisons, it's just that after a few sips, they always seem to be too bready or too boring. I'm sure I'll change my mind on this matter later.

Just wanted to know what style of beer you'll likely never purchase, besides Adjunct Lager, of course.

2. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

Honsetly, probably porter. With the exception of Victory at Sea and Smoking Wood pretty much all porters i've tried have been very bland and watery.

3. dar482

dar482 Advocate (700) New York Mar 9, 2007

Can't think of a single one. I try to think that I'm a well rounded beer lover and I think most styles have an amazing example that exemplifies how good the style can be.

I somewhat agree with above that porters can be a bit less exciting than stouts, although the actual distinction is questionable. Victory at Sea and Hill Farmstead Everett are huge standouts though. I also do love Smuttynose Robust.

4. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

I guess pilsners. Maybe I've never had a good one...

dianimal and mklisz like this.
  5. I would say smoky beers but ive seen so much and read so much about good german rauchbier that i really think that i just haven't had a good one yet? I think some styles are harder to pull off, but I find the more i read and the more I drink the more my palate is open to possibilities.

Pacioli1445 likes this.
  6. There is definitely a threshold to cross- as herrburgess is fond of pointing out, the people at Heller Trum say that you have to consume three in a row before they start to grow on you. Schlenkerla is certainly the best, and underlying all of that smoke are truly stunning base beers, so you can't go wrong with them. The Urbock is maltier, and perhaps a bit more user-friendly, but doing three of those may knock you on your ass- so probably stick with the Marzen if multiples are the way you want to go. ;)

Either that or just start with a mildly smoked beer like Stone Smoked Porter to acclimate your taste buds.

7. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (360) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

Saisons are also my least favorite style, though the couple I've drank that had spent some time in a wine barrel have been very tasty.

8. Oh sweet! Another thread where "Beer Advocates" can talk negatively about beer!

9. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Or, you know, have a beer-related discussion that doesn't necessarily involve knob-slobbing all over Hill Farmstead and Cantillon. On a "beer" website. Crazy, right?

10. IPA/DIPA

Yes, I'm THAT guy.

11. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (745) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

I haven't tried all styles yet, but I agree with a lot that is said the couple saisons I have had did not impress me and smoky beers i think are disgusting. Although, I noticed some of the people that have drank craft longer than me like them so maybe my palate will develop into both. I'm probably going to get stoned to death for saying this but I'm not huge fan of BBA beers I just do not enjoy the underlying bourbon flavor. That being said BCBS is astonishingly good.

12. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (745) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

I don't want to derail the topic but I do have a quick question. Shouldn't BBA stouts and Stouts be seperate categories? It seems to me BBA people are enjoying what the bourbon does to the stout instead of enjoying a stout for a stout. I'd like to see a top stout list not dominated by BBA stouts

For the Whiney bastards like me who don't care for BBA stouts

13. Any wheat beer I have ever tried. They taste yeasty and sweet to me. But I to be fair I am a hop-head, so sweet does not suit me well.

ryhayes and KhakCane like this.
  14. I'm going with IPA/DIPA. Oh, a new IPA on the market - yawn

Mitchell57 and Dweedlebug like this.
  15. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (280) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Sours/lambics/geuzes/saisons/fruit/herb/spice/vegetable are all drainpours for me

JWing likes this.
  16. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Hefeweizens. The banana/clove taste is nauseating.

brandon911 and CurtFromHershey like this.
  17. Sourz
    Berliner Weiss
    Imperial Stouts (particularly BBL aged)

18. DIPA. Just too much of a hop overload. Regular IPA is hoppy enough for me.

19. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Smoked beers, Wild Ale's.

20. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

There's alot more of you around than you think... ;)

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  21. American Pale Wheat Ale. The hopped up versions (Gumballhead & Lil Sumpin Sumpin) are good, but when I think of this style I think of 312 and the fake hefeweizens ( Widmer, Pyramid, & UFO). Oberon I like as well, so I guess I'm 50/50 on the style but when it's bad, it's bad.

beerme411 likes this.
  22. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Pumpkin Ales are really the only one that I openly discriminate against, although there's a couple of those I enjoyed, typically the less 'traditional' ones. See: La Parcela, Ghoulschip, Rumpkin

23. Scotch Ales.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  24. Smoked and Sour

StArnoldFan likes this.
  25. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Sours but I really haven't had that many.

26. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

Dopplebock. The ones I've tried have been too sweet for my tastes. (not that I won't keep trying them)

27. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

AAL

edit: hmmm, see I am not allowed to go with AAL. Probably "Ambers" then.

TheBushman likes this.
  28. Add hefeweizens to this list and you've got my general dislikes.

29. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (360) California Sep 28, 2010

BSDA, Dubbels, and Quads. Usually I don't like the yeast they use and other tastes in it are off putting. Oddly enough I really like St Bernardus Abt 12. So I'll still keep trying them on occasion.

30. Aaron58

Aaron58 Savant (280) Massachusetts Dec 16, 2007

I am not a huge fan of the Dubbels, Tripels and Quads. I wish I was, I just havent developed a really good palate for them yet.

dianimal likes this.
  31. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (355) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Hefe or any wheats really

brandon911 likes this.
  32. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (575) Florida Aug 11, 2012

I second the motion here...........

33. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

American Pale Lager. Give me anything else.

34. BrettHead

To each their own, but I don't see how you can say all saisons because there is quite a lot of variability in that style

TheBushman and LambicPentameter like this.
  35. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

sours!
    can't get into that. I have a friend who is actively trying to convert me, though. We'll see if his latest selection will change my mind.
    (To give you an idea of the extent of my palate's rejection of sours, madame rose is a drainpour for me.)

oh, and many wheat beers are not my thing... so they get honorable mention

36. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (325) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Sours, Lambics, Guezes..... Most heavy hitting Belguim style Ales work like Prune juice for me...

37. BrettHead

lol prune juice. Yeah that would be hard to like

TheBushman likes this.
  38. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (520) New York Mar 7, 2009

pumpkin ale

39. Smoked and Rauchbeirs, Can not get into campfire flavor in beer....

RKing44 likes this.