Comment Your Most Controversial Review

Discussion in 'Site' started by TastyAdventure, Jan 26, 2013.

1. What is your one review of a beer that is way off the mark of others' opinions on this site? What beer, when going to its page to review, were you floored by when you saw the incredibly high or low overall score after tasting yourself?

Mine is Founders Breakfast Stout. Feel free to bash me for my opinion on it, but I'm more interested in hearing your own Controversial reviews on your beer.

Here's mine:

Founders Breakfast Stout. Bottle. 8.3%

3.19/5 rDev -29.3%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I was ready for this one. As famous as it is, I tried to manage my expectations and not hold the bar too high. I believe I did so, but was still very disappointed.

Although it's not my favorite style, I have had a number of stouts, including Old Rasputin, which is in my 10 favorite beers.

Poured this from a bottle into a pint glass.

Here we go, the controversial opinion begins:

A - brown one-and-half finger head, solid black. Looks like a stout.

S - stale coffee. maybe a coffee flavored pastry.

T - Day-old strong coffee, but not quite as bitter as coffee. A bit one-noted on the taste to be honest. I searched and searched for other flavors. Absolutely no chocolate flavor like the bottle says, a mild breadiness that might be reminiscent of a bland oatmeal and coffee breakfast. You wouldn't know there's any alcohol in here.

M - Low carbonation, too low. Feels like coffee. Leaves a stickyness on the lips and back of throat like oatmeal does.

Overall - Disappointment. This beer is very one-noted. Coffee, that's mainly all I taste.

Serving type: bottle

Kyrojack and dt_gbpackersfan like this.
  2. Your taste buds suck. Breakfast Stout is chocolate heavy. It's not even dry cocoa, it's creamy dutching chocolate with a vanilla and coffee bean finish.

Overlord and cavedave like this.
  3. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (690) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

Surly Sÿx

2.4/5 rDev -38%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

4. 10 fidy is the worst RIS I've had, its not bad per se, but ive liked every other big stout I've had more. many like it. Its a good thing its a free country and we can buy what we want.

5. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

No one pays, or should pay, any attention to any of my reviews for them to be "controversial". I am an anonymous person on the internet.

Pahn, Kyrojack, franklinn and 7 others like this.
  6. Your comment sucks. Taste is subjective.

7. That's an excuse for people with poor sense of taste/scent.

TheBeerDad and Alexmc2 like this.
  8. Wrong. It's a fact.

9. I haven't done alot of reviews here but I find Ten Fidy overrated and that tends to disagree with alot of people. I think its ok but not worth the price. I had a 12 and a 10 and didn't think its was any better with age on it. I think Rasputin is better for the money. But Ten is not a bad beer by any means just not a great as people tend to think it is.

Edit: I didn't read the thread or I would have just quote Big Cheese and said "This"

russpowell likes this.
  10. I had a couple of upset people contact me on here recently from a community that housed a brand spanking new brewery that they were rallying behind because I wrote: "This stout was as thin as Richard Simmons at a Bikram yoga retreat." Needless to say, I didn't make any friends on here from that small Midwestern town.

11. if that's your attitude then why even bother posting on here? or there? or reading this?

12. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Palate Wrecker. Simply the most unbalanced, unpleasant, and downright undrinkable beer I've had in a very long time. Do people realize that drinking a supremely bitter beer doesn't make them tough?

13. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

my biggest one would have to be with two hearted. The first time I tried it I thought it was the worst thing I ever tasted. At the time I was a Miller fan and hot had my eyes opened. I have tried two hearted on several occasions since, i am still not a big fan. It could be because I am more of a double.imperial fan or its because I hold a grudge against a beer that is probably really good

14. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

15. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Oh this thread will last long.

16. Mine is Hop Crisis by 2st amendment. Terrible beer.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  17. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

My biggest deviation is -21% for Maui's Coconut porter. Beer was just not good. Lovely nose, terrible palate. Would like to try it again, as I there's always a possibility it was a bad can/ batch/old/etc

18. I disagree completely. The only thing subjective about taste is preference. While one may not be a fan of a certain flavor or may prefer more or less extremes of that flavor, there is no denying recipe or potency of an ingredient as perfected by the creator. Dutching chocolate is the overwhelming frontrunner within this beer, and while coffee follows, it follows for a reason; it is not dominant. Vanilla is an ingredient within the Dutching process. He's wrong for saying dry, stale coffee is the only contained flavor and I guarantee he will not own up to not being able to taste milk chocolate when consuming it.

xanok likes this.
  19. In terms of ones that don't make sense to me (i.e. my highest rating per rDev is O'Douls which, in my opinion, doesn't taste any worse than most macro-lagers so, for what it is, is pretty decent) is the Lagavulin cask JW Lees Vintage. I thought that stuff. Was. VILE. Which is funny, as I love single-malt Scotch and English barleywines...just didn't quite work for me.

20. dfhhead25

dfhhead25 Savant (420) Pennsylvania Jul 18, 2011

Hopslam for me. This one literally has to be less than 6 weeks old for me to enjoy at all. After that I feel that it's supremely unbalanced and the honey starts to meld with the malt making it overly sweet.

21. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Why is this a thread... too bad you didn't like FBS. I love the stuff- bought a case actually. I understand your point, but seriously man- LNBA trolls are out.

Justin_Neff and RobertColianni like this.
  22. Rude.

23. 120 Minute IPA by DFH: 5/5 rDev +25.3%
    People can hate. People can say it's not an IPA but I disagree. It's extreme but balanced. There's a huge malt body countered by a total hop assault. Love it.

Resuin, waddellc2, Mgm54 and 4 others like this.
  24. I feel your pain. Please send all your FBS to me for proper disposal.

thank you

25. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

I used to like 10 better, but Old Raspy is still best bang for the buck imp stout IMO for the $ by far. Maybe Narwhal will evolve & give them a run for their money???

TastyAdventure likes this.
  26. Probably Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon. I gave it an outstanding review. With as much flak as that beer gets in the forums, it's gotta be. I knew it was gonna be smokey coming into it. I drank it at slightly less than room temperature. I salivated over the aroma. The mouthfeel was thinner than anticipated, but the flavor made up for that. I loved every drop.

The Memphis Mafia inspired Rogue Voodoo is a completely different story.

madtrixter787 and Rutager like this.
  27. Let's see, I gave Sapporro a 1.1, which makes a rDev of -61.1%...and I guess I liked the Polish Zingi Ginger Beer, which I gave a 3.9, with a rDev of +77.3%.
    But I can assure you there was no controversy. In fact, just about no one seems to care.

28. You may very well be confusing the difference between "taste" and "preference."
    Taste = objective
    Preference = subjective
    The word "taste" gets tossed around so much that there's some "preference" denoted within the term. So the two definitions get muddled. When BA's mention that phrase, "taste is subjective," it can only mean that they're implying personal preference.

RobertColianni was pointing to objective tasting aspects of FBS, and he was suggesting the OP had missed or confused those taste characteristics. He probably shouldn't have started off by saying his tastebuds sucked. Perhaps the OP's FBS was older where the chocolate had faded. In any case the word taste, without the personal preference aspect of it, is absolutely objective.

29. Pleased to meet you!

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  30. You are arguing against the genetic makeup of a singular human being. Are you trying to say that your taste buds and/or sensory receptors are the same as everyone else's on Earth and some are just better than others? I'm a firm believer in "training" your taste buds and sensory awareness but it isn't something that can be forced. Your impression of a beer could be ENTIRELY different from mine and every other human on this planet. He tastes what he tastes, he is not wrong about what he thinks about the beer, you, however, are wrong about what you think HE should think about the beer. So he didn't like it, nor did he get the certain nuances that you do from it, big fucking deal! More for your sophisticated tastebuds to enjoy!

31. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

If you believe that your review could be controversial, you're giving yourself too much credit. Reviewing/rating has its place, yes; but it gets significant only when it's cumulative.

32. I wouldn't say I've had any controversial reviews since I don't do real reviews on here, just "Hads", but Erdinger heff weisen is one. I was surprised to see that it got an average rating on the beer advocate reviews, since it is my personal favorite beer. D'oh well.

kojevergas likes this.
  33. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

I don't review, but if I did, my most controversial reviews would be about Old Rasputin and regular Bigfoot, because I would write mean things about them and fanboyz would hate.

kojevergas likes this.
  34. I must admit, FBS also disappointed me - I felt it was a little thin and needed more bulk in the flavour. It seemed to be a 'light' imperial stout.

My most controversial reviews would likely include Triple Bock (+24.1%), Tactical Nuclear Penguin (+22.8%), Mikkeller Black (+18.9%), Consecration (-15.2%) and Schlafly Pumpkin (-9.5%)

35. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (520) New York Mar 7, 2009

Victory Prima Pils - 46.9%. I actually had someone BM me to threaten me because he did not like my review.

buffs9 likes this.
  36. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

PBR.... Why the hell do people like this???

devlishdamsel likes this.
  37. I care, Al.

38. Widmer Marrionberry Hibiscus Gose -45%. the most rancid foul vinegar i've ever tasted.