1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Your Most Controversial Review

Discussion in 'Site' started by TastyAdventure, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

PALO SANTO MARRON

1.73/5 rDev -58.6%
    look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle served in Duvel tulip glass.

A: Very dark & opaque.Aggressive pour leads to a 3 finger head.

S: Smells of lumber...and something else unique. Palo Santo wood?...Nope "Vicks Formula 44" cough syrup.

T: Tastes like it smells. Wood and "Vicks Formula 44"...yuck! Also notes of burnt licorice. Alcohol is sharp and hot.

M: Coats the mouth with thick sticky sweetness.... too cloying. Then....a long lingering late bitterness....or feeling like I licked an ashtray. Brown ale? I think not.

D: Not very drinkable in my opinion. I shuddered on my first taste...something I never do with beer. As many others have said....I wanted to like this...gave it a lot of sips...but it just was not happening for me. This literally tasted like the vile cough syrup I used to take as a kid. Why would I pay $3.50 a bottle for that sensation? Well....I won't ever again! This dog was a drain pour.
  2. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Maybe your just nit grown up enough yet lol
    RobertColianni likes this.
  3. Raul does not agree with Green Flash IPA and Hercules.
    MusicaleMike likes this.
  4. I don't disagree with what you're saying here, but I don't think it applies appropriately to this matter at hand.

Another illustration:
    When most everybody receives ~700nm wavelength of light as it hits our retinas, we perceive and interpret the light as RED. There are a few, for whatever reason, that will interpret that wavelength as GREEN (what should be detected when receiving ~550nm of light). It's a form of color blindness.

Would you tell a this color-blinded person that when seeing a green light, that he is receiving 740nm of light? Of course not, nor would we let that person drive a car for safety reasons.

I understand there are individual differences in interpretation of taste and olfactory senses (like you mentioned), but these sensory phenomenon begin at the locus that cannot be ignored. FBS is brewed with bitter and sweetened imported chocolates. If the OP didn't taste chocolates, then something, somewhere in that whole experience, went wrong. Maybe it's old FBS. Maybe a bad batch. Maybe it's his tastebuds. Whatever it is, he should've tasted at least some level of chocolate.
  5. This is correct in one way, and wrong in another.

So yeah, someone's perception of the flavors of a beer might be "inaccurate" insofar as it more common to perceive certain flavors in that beer based on the most common ways in which human beings perceive the taste of certain chemical compounds, but there is nothing truly "inaccurate" about the way in which someone perceives the taste of a beer other than the way their perception of the taste doesn't adhere to common norms. Taste just isn't something that is "accurate," "inaccurate," or objective. It just so happens that many of us taste similar or identical flavors in beers (and edible substances writ-large) because our tastebuds operate in a largely homogenous manner. But when someone DOESN'T perceive a certain taste that you do in a beer, it is not because they're "inaccurate" or "wrong" - either their tastebuds aren't the set up the same as yours, or the way their minds process the taste isn't the same as the way you do. "accuracy" really has little relevance to things like sensory qualia.
  6. But what I'm saying is that it didn't go wrong - it went differently. "Wrong" is just a relative term, and the only reason we're applying the term is because it doesn't match up with the consensus experience. I don't like using terms like that, it devalues peoples' subjective experiences while tasting beer, and there is no reason to do that. If someone can't taste the chocolate in FBS, they're not "wrong," even if many (or even most) people taste the chocolate. It's just the way they experience the beer, end of story.
  7. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I don't fancy myself as Mr. Controversy, but the ones that I think I diverge most from the consensus are Two Hearted and Finestkind. To me the two are kissing cousin beers, very similar and as a huge IPA guy I don't "get" why either are so highly regarded.
  8. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

You are absolutely right, that beer is sublime. Anyone who has an opinion that it isn't sublime is wrong.

However anyone who perceives the caramel malt in it as a darker roast malt is right, because the flavors in a beer's taste are subjective but the experience of enjoyment derived from the overall taste of those flavors is objective. Right? I think I understand it now.
    paulys55 likes this.
  9. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Lol priceless. How old was the bottle? It definitely tastes better with age, the alcohol mellows out and becomes a lot more smoother. Cheers
    DrDemento456 likes this.
  10. KenC

KenC Aficionado (240) New Jersey Jan 21, 2011

11. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I foolishly made a thread asking why PBR was so highly rated. I had it and it sucked horribly. I asked basically out of curiosity, I wasn't really trying to insult anyone. I should have been more accepting of people's experiences, taste buds etc. I admit that much. I was new to craft.

What I didn't expect, however, was the ensuing emotional outburst by a bunch of posters who resorted to insults and name-calling. I guess those guys must have been hipsters or something. This was on the old forum so the thread is irretrievable, thankfully.
  12. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

And as for the thread starter, I share your disappointment about FBS. To me it tasted like carbonated coffee with hops. I got no chocolate or vanilla whatsoever. However, I've seen other posters on this site complaining about the same thing. Could the last batch have been inconsistent or is it a matter or individual taste buds? I can't seem to get an answer on that but I don't want to make a new thread about it.
  13. No one's right.

Plus my "sublime" post was just a tongue and cheek way of expressing my opinion about Indian Brown. Well aware that he's not the only person he doesn't like IB, and I have no prob with dat.
    ExaltedNecrosis and cavedave like this.
  14. I wouldn't say it goes downhill that fast, but Hopslam is one of the fastest dropping-off beers I've ever tasted. This is supremely unfortunate, as fresh Hopslam is superb.
  15. I don't think people like it, I think people prefer it to the other macro lagers. Not a great feat.
  16. I'm in your boat on this one. I loved it when I first started drinking beer, but the only time I ever go back now is during Spring and Summer, simply for nostalgia's sake. It isn't a bad beer, but it certainly doesn't stack up against many other micros.
  17. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

Bingo! It's the least worst choice in some establishments. For me, anyway. YMMV.
  18. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

These are the beers that I hated but lots of others seem to like.

J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale: rDev -61.5%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout: rDev -55.7%

Troegs Mad Elf: rDev -54.1%
  19. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

While the deviation isn't that big, I would guess Lagunitas Sucks might be mine. It is a good beer, but I don't believe it lives up to the hoopla. So my review wasn't all gooey, sweet love for the Sucks.

Carry on...
  20. My most controversial review that I did on here was the one I did for Corona Extra, which was removed due to extreme language and graphic depictions of such acts like drinking liquified extrament
  21. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

Fantome Hiver
    1/5 rDev -75.3%
  22. Impfan

Impfan Aficionado (235) Washington Dec 31, 2009

Stone Imperial Russian is mine.

I used to find that it had a nice balance of coffee, chocolate, roast and anise, but lately all I taste is drastic over-roasted malt to the point of burnt ash. Bleccch.
  23. Well, my last visit to BA. Thanks for the epiphany all. After learning of the Dunning-Kruger effect and that there is no "wrong" just "different" I've successfully trained my mind to understand that Coors Light is just as good as say, KBS or Sucaba. Farewell you ignorant slaves!
    Just kidding. Actually, the Dunning-Kruger thing was a pretty cool read.
    But applied to this thread? Really?
    Enjoying a Sucaba right now. It's freakin awesome. Guess I better deal with it, I'm a controversial good beer appreciator.
  24. Dude - really....

If you were a King, would you go by "Your Ass Holiness" or "Your Protuberance"?
  25. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

You're making it more complicated than it has to be. I'm not saying someone can be wrong if they don't detect specific flavors in beer - I'm saying they can be wrong if they perceive flavors that cannot possibly be detected physiologically. If someone falsely perceives the presence of certain chemical compounds in their food, either through tastebuds or olfactory perception, they can make "wrong" claims. Processing of flavor is subjective, but the chemical reactions between compounds and your taste receptors are not subjective. If a teaspoon of sugar tastes the same as a teaspoon of salt, you have something wrong. And simply calling the sugar "salty" because you think it's salty is wrong, because it is not activating your salt taste receptors. You either have a physiological abnormality or your processing of the taste is flawed. There is no need to get into semantic-based debate; the fundamental idea here is pretty straightforward.

I studied this about 8 years ago in my graduate course in cellular neurobiology taught by Dr. Charles Zuker.

And on a last note - many of your previous posts confused "taste" and "flavor." They are not the same thing. The former is restricted to reactions with the tongue; the latter is multiple senses including gustatory, olfactory and trigeminal nerve stimulation.
    BobZ, Rollzroyce21 and cavedave like this.
  26. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Hanssens Experimental Raspberry: +40.9%
    I absolutely loved the face melting sourness and intensity.

Voodoo Donut Maple Bacon Ale: -66.7%
    If there is a hell then this foul shit is the beverage served there. I'd give it 0/5 if I could.
  27. I had to stop reading at post #48... come on people. It's beer. Some of you need to change your tampon.
  28. I would go by King.
    In the sense that your tongue does not pick up on the flavor of "dutched chocolate," it does pick up on the sweetness and the aroma of chocolate triggers the receptors in your brain to understand chocolate is present. The bitterness of coffee, and stale coffee at that, means that the OP completely ignored the forefront entity/flavor/aroma of chocolate or taste to the tongue of overwhelming sweetness that is coupled with chocolate, so if your case and explanation is correct I say this; OP did not just ignore the chocolate aroma/flavor, but the taste of sweetness, also. That being said, there is still (and always will be) the fact that all attributes contained therein the addition of chocolate to this beer produce the undeniably evident flavor, and taste, of chocolate. Only getting worse from here...
    lonewolfcry likes this.
  29. Hey I picked up a double barrel yesterday. Hope it's as good as you say!
    chanokokoro likes this.
  30. Maybe it doesn't get better with age? OW WAIT it does because I had a 2008 and it was incredible. DID you have a 2008? Then your taste is subjective! BLAH BLAH nobody is wrong and I am right
  31. Took the time to bash BS when it comes to Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout just give it a 5 with no explanation. Why on earth would anyone care about your opinion?
  32. [​IMG]
    gtermi and RobertColianni like this.
  33. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Haha that's awesome!
  34. I agree with you, Devil Dancer is a mess.
  35. "Wrong" is a relative term.. it's relative to "truth." If the consensus says it's nighttime when the sun's shining at noon, then the consensus is wrong.

This is what I was afraid of.. I had a feeling you were heading towards this.
    It's good that you're conscious of others' thoughts and feelings, but don't compromise facts and truths just because you're afraid of offending others. Just because the OP couldn't detect chocolate in FBS (again, for whatever the reason) doesn't devalue the OP as a person. We, as a community should encourage the OP to revisit the beer again at some point because he should've tasted chocolate.
  36. The next time you taste chocolate ("dutched" or otherwise) or coffee in a stout that does not actually contain these ingredients, please remember that you are wrong and your tastebuds are deceiving you. :confused:
  37. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I know from the limited sensory training I have had that people have different thresholds. Our training includes solutions of different strengths for the basic tastes (sweet, sour, bitter, salty), common attributes (astringency), and common defects in our products. We learn what our low (and to some extent high) limits are and also find people who are more sensitive to particular flavors. That looks at "pure" solutions, so like a taste training kit. One off flavor we have is a type of styrene flavor caused by bacteria, so we'd taste/smell different solutions to learn to detect it, for example. Not everybody can detect every defect in aroma or flavor, and there is a pretty big range in the basics. One I suck at is astringency - it has to have some pretty big pucker power before I can find astringency. Other people can pick it up at extremely low levels. That's why we have a dozen or more people taste stuff so we can get a range.

I don't know if that can somehow add up to an inability to taste chocolate, so the OP maybe should revisit the beer again. While there is some physiology involved, there is a lot of subjectivity as well. I don't consider myself highly trained (just enough to be dangerous) so a lot of times when I can't pick things apart I'll revisit it later. I know there have been a bunch of beers where it has taken me a few times to "find" some of the flavors. One thing I consider maybe more than I should is "did I like it". Totally subjective, but important to me when I think about what I buy.
  38. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I didn't review it, but I said it. I agree. A big, syrupy, boozy mess!
    EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  39. repivk

repivk Zealot (85) Minnesota Dec 8, 2012

Can't we all just get along?
    RobertColianni and lonewolfcry like this.
  40. endovelico

endovelico Savant (345) Portugal Jul 25, 2008

That one beer review where i said the holocaust didn't happen.