1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Your Most Controversial Review

Discussion in 'Site' started by TastyAdventure, Jan 26, 2013.

1. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (445) New York Jan 30, 2011

Your review was helpful -

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/11757/?ba=RobertColianni

2. You're making it less complicated than it has to be. We're not talking about salt v. sugar and who can tell them apart. We're talking (now) about a subject who tasted almost exclusively coffee in a beer which was brewed with coffee, chocolate, and oats, in addition to the usual suspects. We would not present this subject with the binary of: "you either have a physiological abnormality or your processing of the taste is flawed." If you demand that the subject taste chocolate, why? Because it contains chocolate? Because it says it contains chocolate? Because it contains chocolate malt? Because x% of tasters taste chocolate? Because there is a physiological process which, across all subjects, relates the presence of chocolate in beer to the memory of chocolate previously tasted?

We can also talk about someone who tasted cigar ashes in a beer that presumably contained no cigar ashes. (I tasted/smelled washed rind cheese notes in my Fantome Dalmatienne. I hypothesize the presence of B. linens. The existence of B. linens is testable. The result would be something objective to work with. I don't have that yet. Even if I were to confirm its objective existence, my experience of tasting the beer is subjective.)

Oh and I don't think anyone gives two shits about Pierre Bourdieu or Dr. Charles Zuker...I'll stop if you will.

3. I am a big fan of Sierra Nevada - I always have a six of SN Pale Ale or Torpedo in my fridge at any given time. But this Ovila really disappointed. I may have been too harsh but I felt that it should have been much better for Sierra Nevada to market a Belgian collaboration beer.
    Sierra Nevada - Ovila Abbey Dubbel
    2.2/5 rDev -42.3%
    look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

A= carbonation was so active that the bubbles made the glass murky.
    S= a little subdued for a belgian
    T= even though only 7.5% alcohol that is all I tasted. bubbly carbonated alcohol not much else. A little dry on the back side but not the depth of a dubbel.
    M= can't get past the feeling this has seltzer water in it.
    O= Overpriced, overcarbonated, nothing special to the palate.

It is nice that some of the proceeds from sales go to the restoration of the Abbey. Consider this when you pay $10 for a 22 oz. bottle. It's a donation.

Serving type: bottle

4. I don't dare mention it. Far too controversial.

CharlatanSin likes this.
  5. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

Word.

6. A beer with 2,745 reviews doesn't need another generic review stating what is already set in stone, and since I'm not an ego maniac, I don't care about my reviews:hads ratio. You know my views. 2700+ users spoke them for me.

7. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

I was addressing the comments made by IamMe90, not RobertColianni's issue with the OP. I took the OT rant even further OT.

And I said the Hiver tasted like cigar. Which is a direct result of something in the beer, presumably a smoked malt. It was a colloquial description of flavors that existed within the beer. I didn't simply create an imaginary flavor that couldn't exist physiologically. You are making a counter-point out of nothing, and you have done nothing to refute my claims. Congratulations.

And my reference to Zuker was strictly to state that my claims weren't simply pulled from a Google search, like most arguments that populate these forums. I have absolutely no idea why you brought up Pierre Bordieu - his "work" has very little bearing in this conversation. Zuker's work, on the other hand, is relevant (and quite interesting.)

But you are missing the point here. The ability to taste is not always subjective unless you're talking about physiological abnormalities. The chemical reactions are not subjective unless you're talking about physiological abnormalities. The interpretation of those chemical reactions is subjective. The OP's inability to taste chocolate in the beer is not an issue with me. Not being able to discern specific flavors in beer is not the same as discerning flavors that couldn't possibly exist. Make the distinction and you will understand my posts, and why broad claims like "taste is subjective" are not always true.

That's about all I am willing to discuss at this point in this thread. I'm more than happy to continue this discussion in PMs.

RobertColianni likes this.
  8. crytion

crytion Savant (255) Ohio Jun 24, 2010

Bells hopslam. I keep drinking it thinking that i'm missing something.. It rates so high and I find it so mediocre.

9. crytion

crytion Savant (255) Ohio Jun 24, 2010

also thought nugget nectar was another overly appreciated beer. not that its terrible....

SenorHops likes this.
  10. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

according to rDev it'd be Wild Blue (-52.2%) and Short's The Gambler (-51.6%)

11. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

Ithaca Ten

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/651/41384/?ba=ncaudle
    1.75/5 rDev -56.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1

one of the most vile, disgusting vinegary messes I've ever had the displeasure of putting to my lips.
    don't know if it was storage conditions at bottle shop I grabbed it from or what but what I drank was so far removed from what others describe in their reviews.

12. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I wouldn't say it was controversial but I had to add notes from my tasting that shocked me. It was King Henry which I loved, it was a magical experience drinking that beer AFTER said notes.

So the story goes, my buddy was in Chicago and I asked if he happened by a liquor store and they had King Henry or BCBS grab me a bottle or two. On his way back from Chicago to Minnesota he decided to try one last liquor store and found a single bottle of KH, called me "Its $30!!!"...I told him to pass but wasn't very confident in this decision. Well he got it anyway and said it was a Chirstmas Gift but I had to share with him so he could see WTF made a beer cost $30 (I didn't want to go into detail with him the store was marking up the beer heavily but whatever it was gladly received and I'd gladly share). So another buddy came over and I pointed out what we'd be drinking while board gaming it up, we were all excited (ok my buddy who got it was confused but whatever).

I open, and pour 4ish ounces into my nicest beer glasses (Darkness glasses) oh boy my one buddy and I sniffed it forever and finally took a small taste and were in love. Then we look at the guy who picked it up who was trying to sniff it then he unhinged his jaw, tipped his head back and the beer was gone... ... my jaw hit the floor "It was good I suppose" ... ... Basically I just sat there stunned and asked if he'd enjoy something else maybe some of the metric ton of homebrew I had specifically my Rhubarb Wheat that I knew was nearing the end of its lifecycle, he gladly accepted and went through a few bottles.

13. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

Not my reviews, but I opened just now a bottle of Petrus Aged Pale, I had it in the cellar and then in the fridge for quite some time. Anyway, I read in a thread here where someone was asking about sours, that Petrus is a good and affordable one, and decided to try it, I guess is my second sour after the Petrus Oud Bruin. So I go to check the reviews, since sometimes I taste something and can't put exactly my finger on what it is, so reading other people reviews is helping. Two out the three of the first reviews are bashing it with a -70%. Okay I understand that taste is subjective as is mentioned so many times, but don't people take the style in consideration?
    I am drinking it now with slow little sips as my first sip was a big gulp and almost chock from the acidity. Maybe it's not my favourite but it's a sour, it's supposed to taste sour, I won't bash it because it taste as it's supposed to taste.

14. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Awesome on draft at the brewery, kinda meh out of the can. Big Swell is the same. Very good chance of old cans, I recently pointed out to a grocery store that their cans were labeled July 2011.

15. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

I get so bummed out by those stories. Lots of breweries are possibly catching bad wraps simply because of poor QC at retailers. I look forward to trying it again for sure

16. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I had a guy send me a BM telling me to go fuck myself because I gave the Brandy Barrel Dark Lord like a 3.75.

17. Did you?

endovelico and BrettHead like this.
  18. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

Could you guys quit cluttering up this thread with pointless shit? I want to hear more about the Breakfast/Rasputin stout kerfuffle.

19. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Sorry it was 3.85 and Brandy Barrel with Vanilla Beans. He was mad I brought the overall rating down. It's still the lowest review and not even that low.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/68691

20. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Couldn't be as bad as the "aledged" person from "said brewery" who emailed me and was dissapointed and displeased in a "matter of fact tone" with mine, in a sort of "I am really dissapointed break your thumbs kind of way".

Never mind that said persons email came from a hotmail account...

Chaney likes this.
  21. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

I was the first guy to give Dark Lord an F. A minor shitshow of a thread ensued when a fanboy noticed. My only regret is I was on vacation/offline and the thread was locked before I had a chance to join the fun.

22. 90 Minute IPA - In hindsight, probably shouldn't have reviewed as it was at least a couple of years old. -29.9

23. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

If you're inclined to give the beer another shot, you can always go back and edit your review to reflect your updated thoughts on it.

24. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (635) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

Mostly of my gaps are due to style preference but I would take a Bud Light Lime that has been sitting on a stove for a year rather than Avery Hog Heaven. -49.5%

Alternatively I gave Avery Samael a rating of +28.9% to the good! Love that stuff!

25. Impfan

Impfan Aficionado (235) Washington Dec 31, 2009

Yeah, I had a 2008, and it was delicious.

The 2011, however, blows gangrenous donkey appendage.

Will it improve significantly by 2016?

Perhaps, but I'm not holding my breath.

26. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

I rarely review. One would think the most "controversial" of mine would be would be fore Fantome Chocolat, my least favorite beer of all times. But, in fact, the distinction goes to Coffee BCS, which earned me a few angry PMs from Chicago BAs at the time.

27. This thread is full of awesome.

Controversial review?

How egocentric.

No idea how this thread hasn't been nuked.

endovelico likes this.
  28. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I here tons of people on here that say Dark Lord sucks. Can't say I've tried it though.

29. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

30. Short's Uber Goober
    1.6/5 rDev -55.3%
    look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Olde Hickory Death My Hops
    2.08/5 rDev -46.8%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Lips of Faith Prickly Pear Saison
    1.75/5 rDev -49%
    look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Smuttynose Big A IPA
    2.68/5 rDev -33%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Stone Smoked Porter w/Vanilla Beans
    2.63/5 rDev -33.6%
    look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

31. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Assuming internet sarcasm, let me issue a mea culpa: thought it was off to a bad start and would end up with people just saying "your palate sucks" "no, its your palate that sucks" etc etc. I was wrong, it happens.

fujindemon74 likes this.