1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your most expensive beer haul

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DogfishJoe, Sep 24, 2012.

1. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Eclipsed the 11 hondo mark about a month ago in VT. Wallet is still going through detox even though 40% was muling fodder.
    Hanzo and ObiWanKushnobi like this.
  2. $285 for 4 beers and 2 glasses from Belgium. WTF was I thinking?? Worst part is, I'm finding it hard to justify drinking such expensive beers now :rolleyes:
    brewbetter likes this.
  3. Money spent on beer trip vacations/hauls is never remembered in my mind so I can still enjoy the trip. However, there is a reason I still drive a '98 Explorer.
    ChanChan likes this.
  4. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

My single biggest, maybe $200 or so. The monthly or annual total is what's getting out of hand. I just tell the wife, "it could be worse.... I could still be building hot rods".
    JustinQ likes this.
  5. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Ummmmm, oh, never-mind!!
  6. $75 up at Arena Liquor (Columbia, MO). Most I've ever spent on a single brand is 20 (4-pack of Founders Kentucky Breakfast).
  7. This weekend. $250 not counting the VIP ticket for the Hill farmstead event. One hell of a weekend at least and have enough beer for a little while.
    Retail1LO likes this.
  8. $14.55 that is what my 12 packs of Sam Adams come to after tax. Snoochie boochies
    ehammond1 likes this.
  9. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

My biggest ever was around $180 when I was in Riverside, CA. Its hard for me not to spend a lot there because there is so much beer in Cali that we just don't get in AZ, especially Mikkeller and Russian River. I feel like I got a lot for my $180 though

Unibroue Grand Reserve 17
    Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast Weasel
    Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast Weasel Cognac Edition
    Mikkeller I Beat yoU
    Mikkeller Black Hole
    Russian River Supplication
    Beer Here Dark Hops
    Dogfish Head Urkontinent
    Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus (this is the only time I have ever seen Cantillon anywhere ever)
    Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic
    BrewDog Tokio
    Lost Abbey Deliverance

Typically I come in somwhere between like $15 and $50
  10. SupaCelt

SupaCelt Savant (345) Michigan May 9, 2004

i drove down to south bend, IN from muskegon michigan to get stone, before it was available here, and three floyds stuff among other gems one time during the height of my craft beer fever and spent $250 bucks on what amounted to about three cases of assorted awesomeness. thinking about a past dark lord day and things like kbs release party and the hundred and something bucks that is easily dropped at bare minimum on such occasions makes me think of all of the material things i could have had if i was thinking properly and not essentially pissing money down the toilet. but it is fun.
  11. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Technically, these weren't all mine, but it was still a nerve-wracking ride hauling all these back from FiftyFifty in December...

[​IMG]

And the December before that (these, I did pay for):

[​IMG]
    brewbetter and JulianB like this.
  12. Geez...guess i'm the 99% in this crowd. Most I spent was $17 for DFH Black and Blue. It sucked and I poured it down the drain. Total waste of money. I should have saved gas money and just tossed my cash in the can.

Now I'll only spend under $10 per bottle, mostly around $4 for a bomber. Usually around $10 for a mixed 6 pack.

Stayong on topic, my biggest total purchase was around $20 (DFH plus another beer).
  13. Most I can distinctly remember was a bit over $100 for 5 FW bottles (2 Parabola, 1 Sucuba, 1 FW14, 1 FW15) and a few random local Eugene OR things.
    DonDirkA likes this.
  14. ~$120ish during the Belgian Beer sale for Belgian Independence Day. Got a handful of Belgian bombers to age.
  15. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Why not able to drink it? Just because you buy more than you normally consume? Or just cellaring, or something else?
  16. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

This year at Dark Lord Day. It hurts too much to actually count, but probably close to $500 was spent.
  17. Just spent $140 on one store visit in northern VT this weekend. I don't normally spend that much, but when you're in the Montpelier-Waterbury-Stowe area, you gotta stock up on the goodies you can't get at home, you know?
    franklinn likes this.
  18. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Most in a single purchase was $500 at Hair of the Dog this past november for a case each of AftW and BFftW. That whole month was expensive. Mother of all Storms at Pelican and Figgy Pudding/Imagine at Block15 dropped the next day. A case of Abyss is practically a necessity and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. If I recall I racked up about $1500 in a two week stretch. The same time period in 2010 was also over a grand. This year probably won't hit any softer.
  19. It's a deal I made with the tamed house dragon. I told her that I wouldnt drink while she couldnt, and she can't for 9 months. Well, 7.5 now.
    I'm stocking up beers that can survive some aging and having a tasting/party after the birth.
    JustinQ, DonDirkA and Bluecane like this.
  20. brewseum

brewseum Savant (275) Minnesota Nov 11, 2004

A basement cellar buy in South Carolina cracked 4 figures.
  21. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Not much.

I don't think I've paid more than $20 at once yet. My highest is probably $16, the last time I went.

Short's Nicie Spicie
    Short's Soft Parade
    Short's Ale la Reverend
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine
    Great Lakes Brewing Burning River
    Founders Dirty Bastard
    Founders Red's Rye PA
  22. Just over 300 USD :/
  23. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Mine is over $300 and it makes me feel shameful and dirty, but it was the armand'4 in the box plus a Schaerbeekse, a Lou Pepe, and a few others.
    Rutager likes this.
  24. C'mon man! You need to step up and do your part. Drinking for two may not be easy, but it's the right thing to do.
    DonDirkA, franklinn and gueuzehead like this.
  25. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Hey kid, first lesson in life: look how wasted Daddy and Mommy can get!
    DonDirkA likes this.
  26. As great as that suggestion may seem, I'd rather not be in contention for douchebag husband of the year.
    Bluecane, robinsmv and Rutager like this.
  27. hotpipes29

hotpipes29 Aficionado (120) Ohio Dec 22, 2008

$600. My first visit to Shorts back when they had the 750 series. My father-in-law wanted to pick up the tab until he saw the total. Threw me $50 instead.
    Bluecane, DonDirkA and franklinn like this.
  28. I heard them say something that I thought sounded like 54 fills was the most when I was there Friday. I felt like I needed to step it up I only got 10.
  29. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

$102 for 6 bottles of (512) Bourbon Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter.

Other than that, unless there's a special release, usually under $30. I buy beer like my grandmother goes to the grocery store: daily. Every once and a while, I'll pick up a case if its' a beer I really like and there's no bottle limit.
    franklinn likes this.
  30. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

A typical trip is somewhere around $20-$30, unless i'm just running out for ONE thing (okay, so a lot of them START that way.....)

Biggest including trades is probably around $200, biggest for myself only is probably around $125.
  31. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

$115+65+74 (around 250) at 3 stores within a couple hours YESTERDAY. Nothing overly rare, just stocking up on RIS, some pumpkins and a couple barleywines. Its getting cooooooooold out.
  32. yah, i dont remember the exact numbers, but I've done 30+ on a few occasions. its all i can fit in my Scion. rumor has it the record holders blew a tire on their way home
  33. adamdarcy

adamdarcy Savant (425) Michigan Feb 26, 2008

Including travel and what-not, easily north of $1000. I fear (hope!) that I spend more than that at Kuhnhenn's Winter Solstice this year....:D:eek::D
  34. 486.00 this past weekend in VT. 8 HF growlers, 6 HF 750ml, 5 bottles of Lawson's Finest, 2 bottles of Maine Beer, and 15 4-packs of Heady Topper.

This doesn't include the many pints I threw down at Parker Pie.
  35. Lol that's outrageous. I had like 24 750s between my buddy and I from the festival. The car was noticeably weighed down.
  36. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

I can't figure out how to leave a bottle shop for less than $50.
  37. I'm the wife, my biggest haul was around $150 on an out of state trip (to VA!) , husband was stoked :)
    stayclean likes this.
  38. Yah, add about 6 cases of Heady to that and see how your gas mileage fares on the way back compared to on the way up.
  39. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I'm going to Hair of the Dogs dock sale in November.....I've been saving for the past month, and I'm gonna save up until the day I go......I'm kind of nervous to think of the amount of money I'm gonna spend that day.....
  40. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (910) Colorado May 19, 2005

$400+ for me. I stocked up while in Portland, OR. The car almost scraped the highway all the way back to Denver