1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your most expensive beer haul

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DogfishJoe, Sep 24, 2012.

1. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Not counting Bruery Reserve Society...Damn that gets expensive. I can say, $200. When I travel, I try to bring back the memories, and share with loved ones.

Reserve Society, over $300.

2. Yeah but how much can ya bench?

3. Soonami

Soonami Savant (455) Pennsylvania Jul 16, 2008

$800 or so.

1 case Founders Backwoods Bastard
    4 cases RR sours (tempt, supp, conse, sanct)
    1 case Cantillon Kriek

4. I had 2 cases. It definitely wasn't as good, but it didn't go down too much. Thought it was going to be worse considering how much slower the car felt.

5. StoutFest

StoutFest Savant (315) Illinois Dec 15, 2009

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I have mixed feeling on how I would like it is my wife were into beer. On one hand it would be nice to share with her, on the other hand it would take an already expensive hobby and double the cost.

Extravadanza likes this.
  7. It's absolutely amazing you can even fit that much in that lil clown car of yours.

silentjay likes this.
  8. Guess that won't happen again.

9. Biggest haul was about $100 when stocking up the beer fridge and a few for the cellar. Since I buy more IPAs than anything else, I seldom spend more than $30 a normal trip.

10. 8 inches

...wait, what are we talking about?

11. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

My wife is fairly into beer, and we either just buy our own or split the cost of various bottles/6-12pks/etc. A fine system if I say so myself.

As for most expensive beer haul, probably not much as I have yet to attend any release events or anything. I want to say "only" $80-90, but I usually buy some here and there during the week as opposed to a big haul once a week, or whenever. I also don't drink everyday so that helps.

12. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Definitely an Alpine haul. $140. But that buys you a ton of beer at Alpine.

13. I'm very fortunate that I work in wholesale beer/wine so I get my stuff at a discount. For limited/allocated items though, I have to buy off the shelf like everyone else.

14. alamode

alamode Savant (330) Massachusetts Mar 25, 2007

15. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Well over 100. A combo of Pliny/Alpine/ and various other SC great IPA's. A case of bombers.

16. nh2032

nh2032 Advocate (565) New York Oct 15, 2009

Dropped $280 on my last trip to Hill Farmstead. Pretty sure that is my biggest, but the fact that it was all in cash probably made it seem worse.

17. Every time I go to Vermont I spend close to $400. Ugh! Love the beer though.

18. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

At a single store, I'd say it was around $250. In a day, easily more than $400 if I'm beer shopping out of town and I'm buying brews that aren't available in my area.

19. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I'm afraid to go to VT, which I will in a round about way to Fort Drum. Before Xmas. Without my wife. Should be interesting if i get into Lawsons and HF. HT is a given.

20. $1,200 for the second pic?

21. Probably about $80. This is all single brews, no same two. Usually spend about $50 on my usual hauls. Once again, I don't buy cases or doubles. I try to only buy singles so I can always have a variety handy.

Of course, i'm only a few hundred yards to a Total Wine in So Cal so I can easily walk down and grab anything I may have missed.

22. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

$200 at store

23. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Yep, about that much.... :)

24. About $100. I always feel like a lush though when I have to use a cart at the beer store.

brewbetter and rmcnealy like this.
  25. crosamich

crosamich Savant (260) Florida Nov 28, 2007

living in Europe last year and catching a flight back from Belgium; a combination of me not reading between the lines on the fine print and the airline raping me meant I had to pay something stupid like €150-200 for an extra filled bag. The girl at the counter hooked me up slightly by shaving 5 kg off what I had to pay though so that was something. I was not about to let go of all those beauties so it was waaay too much as the cost of the beer was more than the charge to get it back home.

26. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

i would guess around 2-250 during a CL or Southampton release.

27. $250 at Russian River, yet I don't recall spending over $150.... Damn tasting tray!

28. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

I been in the 120s a few times.

29. kpacedo

kpacedo Savant (265) California Nov 24, 2009

Traded A LOT of cigars for several 4 packs of BCBS and FBS

30. bozo_pat

bozo_pat Initiate (15) Dec 2, 2012

I was passing by columbia, missouri and stayed overnight in columbia.
    I though to have a nice beer after driving whole day and went to buy 6 pak of beer at Arena Liquor.
    I was looking to different beer, but there was no one to help me. People working behind the counter had no clue about beer, i ask some questions about beer and the clerk is like ahhhhhh, i don't know, you can find yourself.
    I was surprise by the response i got, person working in the store don't know and has no courtesy to help there customer. whooo so i was very much dissappoint and left without buying any beer.
    I am in sales, as a business one should understand what is customer services. i will never go back to that store again.

31. Demer

Demer Aficionado (245) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

probably close to $200 not counting the reserve society. If you count RS then way more but its to painful to go log in and look right now.

32. do kegs count? I've bought Green Flash WCIPA a couple of times @ $220. I think the Racer 5 I bought was right up there too.

Real world hauls though....probably $125 @ the ALchemist then over to Hill Farmstead and dropped another $100 or so. That's probably my biggest single day

Squidly likes this.
  33. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Last year at Four Elf I dropped $363.00...this year, I'm expecting at least $500. So that will be my biggest haul. Half of that is going to friendly Florida BA's tho, so it's not all MINE, technically.

34. Mine is coming up in a couple of weeks at Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice. Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia, Bourbon Barrel Solar Eclipse, and the return of Raspberry Eisbock. It'll be an expensive day!

35. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

$130 was biggest coin drop so far....i will exceed this on Hunaphu release day in a few months.

36. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

my haul depends on the season...i am very into the winter season and spring IIPAs that get released. i went to hop city in atlanta over thanksgiving and dropped 200...then came back to florida and the next day Cigar City released their BA Big sound, so i went down there and dropped 160. yesterday, i went to knightly spirits and picked up a case of sixers for 67. so it all depends with me. I am good now on beer through the holidays, but in February and March, i could drop the most ever at Huna Day down in Tampa. Hopslam comes out and going to buy 2 cases of that. Luckily, my birthday is beginning of February, so I should get some $$$ toward my extra beer budget.

37. dubinsky

dubinsky Savant (340) California Sep 16, 2009

A case and a half of beatification was about $360.

38. 750 euro worth of bricks at the abbey of Westvleteren....For one single bottle i will never pay more than 25 euro!

PaulQuinn likes this.
  39. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Yesterday....$103. Probably wont buy beer again for at least a couple of weeks. At least thats what I told my fiance.

Bluecane likes this.
  40. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (410) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

My biggest is now $265 thanks to a trip to The Bruery Provisions...