1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your most expensive beer haul

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DogfishJoe, Sep 24, 2012.

1. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (295) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

Case of Cantillon + Overweight Fee getting the damn case home cost me somewhere in the realm of 150 bucks. Worth it!
  2. I spent about $120 on a haul from Austin between a couple stores but that brought home like 15 bottles of beer. My wife is bringing home a bottle of 2006 bon-chien, Goose Island BCBS and Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot from a business trip in DC and those three bottles are easily the most expensive haul on a volume of beer to cost ratio I've ever had.
  3. huolij79

huolij79 Zealot (85) Colorado Dec 1, 2012

lol 65...
    MCain04, Dtrain4 and jglowe77 like this.
  4. $180 for a case of COAST BA Blackbeerd.
  5. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

200. 50-100 several times
    jmgrub likes this.
  6. CJLuzzo

CJLuzzo Initiate (0) Indiana Feb 22, 2012

I'm thinking about $140 on DLD (4*15 + BA DL + Baller's)
  7. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (310) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

Friends and I spend $2,000 in one weekend just stocking up. Didnt help that Three Floyds had Baller Stouts when we showed up. Not to mention that Bells had there damn All Stouts Day and had bombers laying around for $30 a piece.
    DonDirkA likes this.
  8. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (755) California Jan 31, 2005

I've done over $350 a couple of times. Just recently about $300 for Mother of All Storms---totally worth it:D
  9. $150 over the course of a weekend. I try to keep it under $150 for the month. Hit my mark in 2 days. Worth it though
  10. BigB415

BigB415 Savant (275) California Aug 24, 2010

About 90 bucks when I drove to Portland(OR) over the summer and another 90 when this years Stone RIS came out and I bought a whole case. The bottle shop in Portland had DFH WWS and I haven't seen those in years.
  11. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

$120 at Central Market during their annual 25% off craft beer sale.

Worth it every year.
  12. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Aficionado (170) Oklahoma Jun 28, 2011

$250 dollars for my first haul from a neighboring state. Plus $50 in gas for the round trip.

This all happened in the same week I bought a case of Old Stock for my girlfriend locally, so Im up to almost $400 this week for beer! I won't be going to the local beer store for a while now. At least not for a big purchase, maybe a local or two to stave off my craving for the ones I hauled back.

Crap, I take that back, a local brewery is releasing a stout that I already claimed 4. Oh well, the cellaring project is off to a great start!
    kirbmeist likes this.
  13. Probably about $150 at the bottleworks in Wallingford circa 2002. We were hosting a "hotel" party gone wrong. It was summertime and i remember having to procure a bag of ice so the haul did not overheat in the muggy weather. Oh the days of discovering beer. I will always remember the thrill of realizing that beer was indeed the superior drink of choice!
    MtnBiker likes this.
  14. Just spent $430 this past Saturday at Hunger Mtn. Co-Op, Lawson's and Hill Farmstead. Off the top of my head:

- Oude Gueze Golden Blend
    - 6pk Anchor Christmas
    - Lawson's Kiwi (lots of it)
    - Lawson's BBA Fayston (x2 of the surprise 750ml bottling...twice as much beer as the little bottles at ONLY TWICE THE PRICE!!! Delightful.)
    - Other Lawson's goodies (lots and lots and lots of it)
    - 5x HF Growler fills
    - Anna...love me some Annas
    - Arthur...awesome, awesome Arthurs
    - 4x Birth of Tragedy
    - 4x Twilight of the Idols

Luckily the Alchemist had already sold out of Heady, or this would have been over $500. Sent a bunch out to trading buddies, and I'm going to have a great Christmas week. Cheers!
  15. gshak

gshak Savant (465) Texas Feb 20, 2011

$200+ on a case of Parabola...
  16. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (365) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

$175 last Friday at Mari's in Reading PA. Got 54 assorted beers via their 20% off mix-a-six pack deal. Should keep me going through the new year. Oh, wait,......... the furture son-in-law will be in town. Gotta school the lad properly in the art of craft beer if he's gonna marry my only daughter. Oh well, Mari's is only an hour away.....
  17. huysmans

huysmans Savant (320) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

$723 on my way out of Chicago. Had to load the car up with everything I could not get back here in NJ. Mostly Goose Island (before distribution), Pipeworks, Tyranena, Central Waters, Half Acre, Finch's, 3F, etc. This is in addition to what I spent on Dark Lord Day, which included Baller Stout, Rye'd the Lightning, ZD, Live A Rich Life, and of course my 5 bottles of DL.
  18. Ry1975

Ry1975 Aficionado (120) Germany Dec 14, 2012

Around 1000 Euro during a recent trip to Belgium. Almost had to buy a plane ticket for my wife to fly home because I wanted to fill up the passenger seat as well. :)
  19. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Did you travel to different breweries?
  20. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (310) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

Yes, 3f, greenbush, odeside, vivant, bells, founders, ect. 14 breweries before we drove home. Also had 16 cases of Gumballhead and Zombiedust.
  21. Squidly

Squidly Savant (425) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

I'll be hitting the same two next week. My most expensive haul was Westy day. 4 bricks. That'll leave a mark.
  22. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (235) California Jul 12, 2012

i concede
    Squidly likes this.
  23. My most expensive haul was Three Floyd's loading up on zombie dust and some bombers totaling up to around $350
    Squidly likes this.
  24. I work at a small liquor store with an awesome craft beer selection, so I've never had a "haul". I just buy whatever I'm in the mood for that night. Although I feel like once I justified the purchase of a $10 120 Minute I kind of hit the next plateau where I'm constantly eyeing up $10+ beers and thinking "oh that's not too bad"
  25. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Christmas 2011. $95. I was called out on it a few weeks later.

Drips and drabs since.
  26. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

Spent 110 a alchemist. Once in a lifetime, got a case of heady, a four of Celia, a shirt and a glass ( I'm such a tourist) . Also had to take a 3 hour solo round trip from Killington, welllll worth it.
    JxExM and Squidly like this.
  27. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Just spent $92 the other day on my Florida haul and I'm gonna get a case of Lagunitas Sucks tomorrow hopefully for $43 so I'd be spending $135 in a week. Definitely a new record for me.
  28. I think at least $300 on my 21st birthday at Provisions and Lone Hill Liquor.
    at then a bunch of money during the Beatification release...
    JxExM likes this.
  29. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

overweight on a case?!?!

shit, I usually bring 2 cases to trade when i head back to the states!
    JxExM likes this.
  30. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

whats golden blend going for in the states?
  31. This makes total sense. I spent €350-400 during 4 days in Belgium and brought back no bottles. Guess a grand is easily reached if you start filling a suitcase.
  32. $162 (including shipping) for ten bottles of Hill Farmstead.
  33. $20 at Hill Farmstead, when they have it. Or, I see it as high as $25. Sure is a good beer...even if that is a lot of money.
  34. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (610) Florida Jul 15, 2011

You guys are crazy. Most I've done is around $50. Then again, I'd imagine if i was out of school and had an actual job, I'd spend more on beer and stock up more often instead of buying small amounts at a time.
  35. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Where do you go to get this shipped?
  36. Biggest drop was probably DLD last year (brought ~$200, spent nearly all of it) or the $250 I dropped at Hill Farmstead a couple weeks ago, but I will routinely drop $150-$200 if I'm traveling to Chicago or Wisconsin to load up on things that I can't get in IN.
  37. DNICE555

DNICE555 Savant (465) Connecticut Aug 13, 2008

I think about $400 at Abe's Cold Beer in PA... That place is crazy. A bunch of Eclipse variants around 30 a peice... Russian River stuff, Big Black Voodoo Daddies, ect ect. The guy at the register looked at me like I was crazy. Not sure if it was because of all the beer I was buying or because I was pitching a tent from all the Eclipses I scored.
  38. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

About $400, most of it on Backwoods Bastard, BoltCutter, and Imperial Stout. Dh is stopping at Founder's for me today, hopefully he doesn't top that.
    bunique686 likes this.
  39. I have a friend in the area and he was able to drive there and buy some for me and then ship it to me. Sorry, I should've clarified that in my original post. Sorry if I got your hopes up... :(.