1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your most overpriced buys

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by stealth, Nov 19, 2012.

1. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

So we have the thread where we can boast about the great deals we've had the fortune of coming by, now how about telling us all what you've willingly (maybe not necessarily knowingly) overpaid for.

I'm guilty of acquiring a bunch of Surly Five last winter after receiving a bottle in the fall for my birthday. I had never had a sour/wild ale before and absolutely loved it, so believing at the time it would never be brewed again, sought out what I could on eBay, etc, paying $30-40 per bottle. I do not have any regrets, as Five has aged extraordinarily well so far :)

2. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Ruination 10th Anniversary... $11.99

I would pay $30-40 for a bottle of Five all day. If you want to unload a bottle, ;)

3. Man you guys got some serious dough to blow on a single beer. I paid 10.50 for Ruination 10th Anniversary which I assume most people got it for around 8 or 9.

And my latest overpriced beer was 6 bucks each for Surly Furious and Coffee Bender. Both from a grey market place that gets stuff undistributed to the state. Lets just say they were OK at best.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

DogfishHead
    Rogue

5. If we count buying beer at a bar, I paid $28 for a 12oz bottle of Fred from the Wood

If you mean take home bottle then it was $26 for a bottle of Parabola or $10 for a 12oz Expedition Stout

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  6. Parabola. Churchkey. $40. Overhyped.

7. Tart of Darkness for $27. Sooooo noooot worth it.

8. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I still would, too. At least there's Pentagram coming! (hopefully)

johnyb likes this.
  9. Founders Devil Dancer. $19 a four-pack and I only drank one because it was so unappealing. I will never consider buying that beer again.

10. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Utopias - $180. Not that there's anything wrong with the beer (it's still damn good!) that is a LOT to pay for a beer.

newjack, Horbar, mcrago and 1 other person like this.
  11. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

6 bottles of Kuhnhenn Imperial Stout Braggot at $17.50 each (12oz each). It was very good, but definitely expensive.

Knifestyles likes this.
  12. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Anything released by The Bruery or Brewdog (except Black Tuesday, but there's an argument to be made there).

Most of Mikkeller's light beers.

13. Kaydogg

Kaydogg Savant (385) Pennsylvania Jan 5, 2011

the winner!
    Idiot's Drool
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/73862

I think it was 23$ a bottle at the release,. I had been drinking for a while trying some fabulous A+ beers at the tasting in the parking lot...I remember being in line with at least 150 people when they handed out samples of the beer..I looked at my buddy and said "are my tastebuds trashed from all the different styles of beer I just drank, cause this is not good"

thank god they gave samples..my planned case purchase immediately changed and I bought 3 bottles hoping for the best..

mjw52 likes this.
  14. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

Wookey jack 11.99 at a stupid store called American Liquor, I think its worth the price but another store had it for $6.99, I felt raped!! This store also sells DogFish Head Red & White for $30.00 :confused:

15. tevanoff

tevanoff Zealot (90) New York Aug 29, 2010

if anybody wants to win this thread, i know of a certain store in brooklyn that has bottles of lou pepe kriek for the low, low price of $90!

amazing beer, but man, you could probably have one bottle shipped from belgium for cheaper.

benjaminahudson likes this.
  16. Demer

Demer Aficionado (225) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

You are a crazy person! It is delicious.

17. I haven't been bent over a barrel too bad yet, excluding a bar, I paid $26 for 4 pack of KBS.

18. czfreeman

czfreeman Savant (455) California May 22, 2007

paid 80 for a bottle of Dark Lord...mind you it was in Amsterdam...and it was the last bottle they had...was kinda wasted...and still saving it 1.5 years later cause im afraid of being disappointed lol

cwreay90 likes this.
  19. I didn't realize you could get Dark Lord anywhere but the brewery.

20. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Most recently, $18.59 for a 12oz bottle of Cherry Adam from the Wood. Well worth it, considering I bought it 11 blocks from my house in Seattle and the next-nearest place to find it was probably at the brewery in Portland.

I almost paid $85 for a bottle of Deviation a few months ago, but ultimately managed to walk away.

semibaked likes this.
  21. 22$ for bitches brew.

Horbar and Casedogg43 like this.
  22. smokinoak

smokinoak Aficionado (165) Florida Oct 21, 2011

$80 for the positive contact box set.

Horbar, Casedogg43 and mwrecording like this.
  23. gshak

gshak Savant (465) Texas Feb 20, 2011

Factoring in shipping, packaging and stuff...Firestone 14...$120 for 3.

24. gshak

gshak Savant (465) Texas Feb 20, 2011

Sometimes, the chase is all the more sweeter than the reward. Regardless of whether it meets the hype or not, I hope you will enjoy it.

25. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Just saw a bottle of Utopias today at my local liquor store for $220. The beautiful bottle and possibly outstanding liquor inside will probably never be worth the money, unfortunately.

26. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Bought a couple of FiftyFifty Eclispse last year. It was a big story that it came to CO and they charged $30/bomber. Glad I got to try the 18 and Four Roses...

27. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (435) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

Paid $30+ tax today for a Bolt Cutter. (but i had to get 2 ;))

28. 1emptyglass

1emptyglass Disciple (70) Missouri Jan 25, 2012

Old Rasputin XIV. It's a great beer but I think it's only a 16.9 oz bottle and I paid $20 for it. My buddy and I also split a bottle of Parabola in a Vegas bar a couple of years ago for the tidy sum of $75.

29. Utopias 12th anniversary . Paid 230$ bucks last week. I found it just days later 40 dollars cheaper. Sink the Bismark cost me 90$ and tactical nuclear penguin 80$ the week before. Hell the world is suppose to end! Why not? I ordered Armageddon today 60$ bucks 61%. Ill be numb when it all hits lolo_O

30. $25 (with tax) for Surly Darkness and I didn't even bat an eye. I am still having problems mustering the courage to spend $24.99 w/o tax on an O'dells Woodcutter.

I got a free snifter of Utopias from a neighbor so I am good there.

31. $33 for a 4 pack of BCBS. Only way I could try it so whatever. Most beer purchases in PA are overpriced. Beats having no selection though.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  32. $33 for a 4 pack of BCBS. Only way I could try it so whatever. Most beer purchases in PA are overpriced. Beats having no selection though.

RobertColianni likes this.
  33. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Rare $65. Don't get me wrong, good beer but not worth the price IMO. Even if it was $45, wouldn't be worth it IMO. Definitely glad I had the chance to try it though.

34. Paid $30 (bar price) for DFH Raison D'extra

psnydez86 likes this.
  35. Squidly

Squidly Savant (435) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

$30 for a Bruery Fruet, $22 for a Tart of Darkness. Don't really feel bad about either.

It's funny how most wine aficionados wouldn't bat an eye paying that price for a bottle of wine they really like. We paid $75 for a cabernet a few years ago that was memorable.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  36. at it's normal price it isn't

37. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (565) Florida Aug 11, 2012

$12 for a DFH 120, not that I felt I was overcharged as that seems the going rate but $1 an ounce retail is about $1 an ounce too much for that dogsqueeze. I do enjoy DFH 90 and 75 however.

38. jbland21

jbland21 Aficionado (110) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

$75 for my ticket to GI's Black Friday tasting event. Going to be worth every single penny.

Squidly likes this.
  39. divineaudio

divineaudio Savant (400) Michigan Dec 7, 2009

Paid $13 for a DFH 120, won't be doing that again. The most I have spent on a single bottle is Baller Stout at $30. I haven't opened it yet, but I have my doubts.

40. I bought a budweiser at a redsox game for like 8$. Not the best 8 I ever spent.