1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your most overpriced buys

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by stealth, Nov 19, 2012.

1. I bought a budweiser at a redsox game for like 8$. Not the best 8 I ever spent.

How dare you say that name on here!! Shame on you for spending any money on that SH-T!
    I wouldn't drink it if it was free. Not worth even throwing a ping pong ball in.

2. $150 for two 2012 Black Tuesdays. Yeah, fucking stupid....but delicious all the same.

3. jlz619

jlz619 Disciple (70) California Mar 28, 2010

$50 bottle of 2012 lost abbey cable car that i had to drink on premises! Wtf!?! If u pay 50$ for a 750 ml u should be able to do what u want eith it!

mcrago likes this.
  4. Monnie

Monnie Aficionado (120) New Jersey Nov 17, 2012

Don't know if its overpriced but I paid $20 for Lost Abbey Red Poppy last year.

5. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

$17 for 2010 DFH WWS...and I didn't even get to drink it

6. Gritch

Gritch Aficionado (165) Indiana Dec 26, 2010

This is how I feel about it. It's not like I am drinking $20+ bottles of beer every night. I don't mind spending that on a bottle I plan on enjoying with a few buddies. Money well spent.

RyanSchwam and Squidly like this.
  7. They make more 20 dollar bills. Some beers are just once.

mconn13, AnotherImperial and Squidly like this.
  8. You can't! Unless it was bought there and re-sold illegally.

9. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

so far, a couple $25 4-packs for BCBS this year.

that may change, if I see a Westvleteren XII pack. Decision time...

10. spoony

spoony Advocate (525) Colorado Aug 1, 2012

DeuS...$35 per bottle. Although, compared to actual champagne, it was probably a bargain.

11. JustinQ

JustinQ Savant (305) California Nov 24, 2011

Anything from Bruery in my opinion. Except bottles ten and under

12. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Alright so I admit that I bought a bottle of Abyss 2010 (in 2012 properly cellared - and as pictured in my avatar) for $45 (or something like that) shipped off of Ebay. I absolutely loved it but I did overpay for sure.

13. czfreeman

czfreeman Savant (455) California May 22, 2007

thanks..lived there for a year..now back stateside..looking for an excuse to crack it open

14. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I would pay $18.59 in a heartbeat (where in Seattle did you find this - if you don't mind sharing). I paid $20 for a bottle of AftW at the HotD tasting room earlier this year (for onsite consumption) and it was delicious.

15. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

A 750 of Gonzo Imperial Porter, signed by Ralph Steadman (the label designer, for those who don't know). Got it at auction and, well, sorry kids. Community College is good too....

16. Troegs Splinter Black. $35/bottle + a lot of hassle to get only 2 bottles of this average beer on the day.

17. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Savant (305) New Hampshire Feb 19, 2012

$17.99 for a 4 pack of Ten Fidy.

Incredible beer, but I found it at another place not long after for 5 bucks cheaper.

18. This stuff:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3521/59673

I think I paid $23 for it. Right after that was when I started making sure to look up BA ratings for every potential beer buy. I also paid over $30 for a bottle of Cuir by The Bruery but hopefully that will be money well spent once I pop it.

19. $75ea. for Fish 2000 BA Leviathan and BA Poseidon. Great beers but not money well spent.

20. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

'03 De Cam Oude Lambiek 750 ml- $38
    '10 3F Schaerbeeske Kriek 750 ml - $35
    '06 3F Doesjel 750 ml- $35
    '11 3F Golden Blend 375 ml- $30

All worth every penny!

21. supercolter

supercolter Savant (455) Wisconsin Apr 19, 2006

Any Founders Backstage series... oh wait CBS was glorious. Sans CBS.

Horbar likes this.
  22. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

This was my first beer release event and probably my last. I arrived an hour early or so and the line was already fairly large. Was about #90 in line and did not partake in any of the delicious beers brought by the wonderfully friendly crowd. The samples of Idiot's Drool I had that night were pretty good, at no point did I sample Idiot's Drool and say it's awful so I ended up getting about 7 or 8 bottles in my case. Ended up having to double check my case and good thing I did because they shorted me on one bottle, which was quickly rectified without issue (again thank you Weyerbacher staff!) I ended up trading a bunch of it and no one seemed to enjoy it. I had three bottles left so I figured I might as well crack one open and holy shit was I not pleased with this beer. I love Weyerbacher, and in particular their barrel aged offerings but this was undrinkable. I ended up sharing some of it and drinking it all but bleh! I think there was some intense variation in the bottles because the sample I tried at the release were pretty good, I even commented to some people on line near me that it was pretty decent and we all agreed. Clearly Idiot's Drool was not a homerun but I give Weyerbacher credit for attempting to try and create an interesting brew and even more credit for releasing it!

23. At the risk of sounding stupid, I recently saw a bottle of Parabola for around $17 but I was hesitant to buy it. Was this a reasonable price? I had it for the first time, on draft, about a couple weeks ago.

24. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I paid 20.99 and got 4 haha

RobertColianni likes this.
  25. Ten Fidy for $15 a four-pack. It's a good beer, but there are much better examples of the style for $9-10 a four-pack.

26. Thedaver4220

Thedaver4220 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

$22 for Oude tart, it was delicious

27. Wow, why so expensive?

28. Gritch

Gritch Aficionado (165) Indiana Dec 26, 2010

It is usually $20-$25 when I can find it.

29. RyanBeer13

RyanBeer13 Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 24, 2011

Way to much

30. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

The bruery. I feel like they are the most over priced and expensive beers on the market...

31. 36 bottles of Eclipse for approximately $1200 once they are sent to my trustee and finally to me.

ObeMaltKinobee likes this.
  32. RyanBeer13

RyanBeer13 Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 24, 2011

A lost abbey cork & coaster for 100 bucks.

33. You got off easy, compared to anyone who bought their Darkness from Surdyk's last year. As for the Odell Woodcut series, I have purchased at least 3 each of #3-#5, and will only say that #3 was worth it.

34. BoRaeCho

BoRaeCho Savant (250) California Nov 25, 2010

29$for a bottle of Chimay 150th Anniversary. In the cellar. Haven't tried it yet.

35. The first Cantillon Kriek I bought cost me about 60 USD :eek:

I wasn't too unhappy though, I was more amazed to see it in Africa!!!

36. skimoore

skimoore Aficionado (200) France Nov 2, 2007

We shared the bottle among 5 of us, but 90€ for a Cantillon Crianza Helena...

37. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (535) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

$12 for a 16 oz bottle of Budweiser @ Yankee Stadium.

TurkeyFeathers and mcrago like this.
  38. It was the cheapest I could find it....through a personal transaction with someone in CA. It would have been nice if they had not jacked the price up but oh well, my fault for paying it. At least it wasn't as expensive as some assholes were selling them for on eBay - I saw a a few bottles over $200 each...crazy!

39. $15 for a 12oz Immort Ale (which I hated). Never saw it before and didn't see the price tag so I threw it on the counter and walked away to get more stuff as the clerk rang it up. Didn't realize until I got home 2 hours away that my wife didn't buy the extra bottle of wine I had thought she did to give the final high charge. I wish the clerk would have told me that someone took the other three bottles from the four-pack and I got stuck with the fourth that had the price tag affixed to the bottom.

40. Noticing DFH and Rogue keep popping up, and I totally agree. Their beers are great (for the most part), but I hate feeling like I took it in the financial caboose whenever I have them.