1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your most overpriced buys

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by stealth, Nov 19, 2012.

1. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

That's pretty much the answer I was going to type. I bought 3, drank one fresh, drank the second one after 2 years, gave the third away.

johnyb likes this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I can't say I have ever paid a "crazy" price for a beer anywhere. But if I had to think of something I'd say $36 for two bottles of Westy 12 shipped from Belgium.

3. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Thanks to everyone for making Oerbier Reserva seem like a reasonable purchase.

4. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (585) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I bought 7 bottles of Utopias this year. I am newer to the beer side of collecting and cellaring (long time in wine) but I bought most of them to trade with others that have things I wanted. It has worked out very well for all parties. I got some nice things like verticals of Dark Lord, Marshal Zhukov's, Behemoths, Baller Stouts, BCS Rare, 50/50 Eclipse, KBS and others. I kept 2 bottles but traded the others. One of the best brews to trade overall. Just a bit spendy at $200/bottle.

5. $13 for a bomber of Sculpin.

6. RDMII

RDMII Savant (340) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

$73 for TNP, and $114 for Bismarck. They're novelty beers I had to try, but damn it hurt to pay it.

At a bar several years ago before I knew better, I was tricked into thinking Ola Dubh 30yr was nearly impossible to find and super limited, so I paid $45 for it. Bartender even went 'to get it', it wasn't on the beer list. I wanted to at least keep the box/bottle, but the bartender said he couldn't allow it. Found it in a good package store the next week for $11.99, plenty of them actually. At least I got the box and bottle this time, I bought four of them.

7. 26 dollars for KBS? That belongs in the "under priced buys" form since it usually around here runs 11-13 dollars a bottle. I didn't buy it at that price but do remember getting it the year before for $6.50 a bottle.

Ow and last year we got like 1/4 of the stock we had. Debating on just driving to MI and grabbing a case for 100 bucks...

8. per oz, the highest i've ever paid for something off the shelf, by far, is $31 for a 375mL of Golden Blend.

only thing that beats that is the ~10 bucks i paid for a 1 oz pour of Utopias. that, however, was entirely worth it, and IMO, the ideal way to try it - i doubt i will ever buy a bottle of Utopias but it was nice to try!

9. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

golden blend is fire though worth every penny.

most expensive beer purchase was mikkeller black buffalo at 20 bucks for a 12 ounce bottle. one sip and instant drain pour, so i'd say per ounce thats pretty expensive, considering it is of the doodie variety

10. Any DFH bomber post-2010.

11. Cant tell if you're being serious or not.

I was at a baseball game, and it had alcohol in it, not sure if I need to explain further.

YogiBeer and RobertColianni like this.
  12. This is a prime example of a wannabe, folks. Take note. Member since Sunday, ripping Bud just to fit in, and failing to realize that any free beer is good beer as long as it's not skunked or poisoned.

Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  13. Barrel Aged Old Rasputin. Didn't "overpay" per say. Bought it for what it was retailing at in Whole Foods. Around $21 or $22. It already had a year of age on it to boot. One of the most dissapointing Barrel Aged Stouts I've had. Funky Jewbelation as well. Still, bought it at a retailing pricepoint, but it ended up a drainpour after finishing 1/4 the bomber.

Bombers of Sculpin or any IPA/DIPA in a 22oz priced over $8

14. BA police. Are you giving us the playbook on how to be BEER Cool Meeeaaaaaaaannn ;-P

15. Brews and tattoos, bruh. Brews and tattoos...

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  16. sounds like an Eagle Provisions price point...

17. tevanoff

tevanoff Zealot (90) New York Aug 29, 2010

bingo!

18. Rogue Voodoo Bacon Maple Ale. 14.99 for a disappointing bomber.

2beerdogs and Dirty25 like this.
  19. that must have been disappointing. it's barely worth the $2.50 i pay for it, imo.

20. didn't FFF recently start distributing in europe? i think i read that somewhere.

21. BA Raspy is a good example of a very nice beer that is extremely overpriced. It would be pushing it at $15 for the 500ml, but $20+ is insane.

It's one I've never understood either, given how cheap regular Old Rasputin is.

stayclean and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  22. Pando

Pando Savant (415) Connecticut Dec 5, 2011

Bobby V should have paid for 12 more for you to apologize for having to watch that team play this year!

BigCheese likes this.
  23. vurt

vurt Advocate (530) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

$26 for Nebraska Black Betty (Reserve Series). Not a bad beer, to be fair. But it's overpriced by a good $10-12.

24. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

Oude Tart was a much better buy at $16, although still expensive.

25. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Should have got the Guinness there man!

26. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I paid $27+ tip for a bottle of King Henry at a bar in Chicago. So worth it. I wish that I would have bought another bottle, but I didn't :-(

27. $32 for Fruet, $22 Parabola, $12 Collage, and DDBA (I can't remember the exact price..either 14 or 24).

All of them hurt to buy, but the only one I regret is DDBA. Just not worth the price for me.

28. ipahead

ipahead Zealot (80) Virginia Mar 20, 2012

Hopslam at $40.00/6 pack but I had to try it. Although overpriced, it was worth every penny.

29. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Wow! It's almost that time of year

fredmugs likes this.
  30. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Each time I buy Sculpin, I feel it's overpriced. Hell, Hopslam is only a couple bucks more. And most DFH offerings break the price/value point.

31. mtalley999

mtalley999 Savant (405) Maryland Oct 6, 2011

Flying Dog The Fear, $16 for a 6. I really like pumpkin ales and was looking forward to this one, but I have to say I was definitely underwhelmed. Not worth the price tag at all. I'd pay $10 or $11, tops.

I still have one left, and I'm debating whether to save it for next year and open it then, or use it for chili.

32. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

at a restaurant last year, my brother paid 50.00 for a bottle of black ops for us to try at the dinner...glad i did not pay for it as i can now trade for it at a fairly easy cost. guess at a restaurant it wasnt that bad, but it was still a hefty penny for a beer at dinner.

33. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Geez, and I thought $16 was a bit hard on the wallet. ;)

34. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (370) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I got mine in a $4$ trade valued at $15. Really good beer but a bit pricey compared to what I can get locally. Glad I was able to try it though.

35. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

$70 for Rare when it came out.

I knew I wouldn't find it again, and I had to have that bottle. I ended up splitting the cost and the beer with some good friends in a massive BCBS variant tasting a year ago. The whole thing was totally worth it.

36. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (370) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Sam Adams Infinium. I haven't ever bought one but figured it should be mentioned for overpriced buys.

Horbar likes this.
  37. jdhende

jdhende Savant (355) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

$30 for a baller stout plus $15 for a ticket to buy said baller stout + a 2 plus hour wait.

JulianC and TravisMBinns like this.
  38. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (350) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

39. I'm kind of surprised how high PA prices are in the 7 months I've been here.

With that stated, I spent $60 for a 4-pack of 2009 KBS last week. I felt like I was getting dick-punched but pricing can be subjective with aging, I guess.

brother_kenneth likes this.
  40. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (350) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

Meant to add

Spent $600 to see Yankees/KC then Red Sox/KC the next day last summer. All the beer and food you could stomach. Figured about 10 beers per game so about $30 a beer, but at least it was Boulevard. Way better than spending $8 on swill and yankee stadium or fenway.

Oh and I gave no value to game as both teams were playing KC, and who worries about food when beer is free.