1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your most overpriced buys

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by stealth, Nov 19, 2012.

1. AlexFields

AlexFields Advocate (550) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

It's been a while, but a few times in the past I caved and bought beers on eBay that I was struggling to trade for. First time was Kate the Great for like $150, then Blabaer for about the same, then Flaming Fury and Little Linda's for $100 each.

Also bought a bottle of Rare on eBay for like $80 but I'm not sure that qualifies here because, I mean, I'd buy as many bottles as I could afford at that price right now if I could. :)

2. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

$40 a 6 pack? Uh

3. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) Pennsylvania Dec 27, 2009

$35 for two mixed sixes at my first and last trip to the Foodery.

4. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Still a better deal than whatever you paid to see the Red Sox.

Scotchboy, 1Sundown2C and semibaked like this.
  5. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (280) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Probably the $85 for a Westvleteren XII brick. Comes to $14-15 per ~12oz. bottle after tax.
    If not, either $20 for BCBCS last year or $26 for each BCBS 4-pack

6. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

1. I over-paid "attention" to the baseball/Budweiser banter.
    2. Spent $5 on a Corona bottle filled with sand as a souvenir from Cancun.
    3. $25 for Founders Boltcutter.

7. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

$40 King Henry, not my proudest moment but I wanted to try it.

ChanChan likes this.
  8. 85 for a PIAPT
    60 for 12 Dogs of Christmas magnum
    Probably over paid for Beserker at 50 but had to have it !!
    Drank the Beserker 12/21/12
    May do 12 Dogs for New Years
    Am saving PIAPT for my epic 12 days of Bruery Christmas ale fest

9. $85 for a case of Hopslam. Still worth it but the next year I paid $65 so..
    $40 for 2008 LP Gueuze? (this year) You tell me if that's bad
    $11 for Hop Stoopid. Paid bar price when getting into craft. It was the first time I saw it so I jumped on it. Twas fresh so I'm not mad
    $14 for a 6 of SNPA, power went out and wife and I went searching for booze. It was a rip but sometimes you just don't feel like caring

10. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (675) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Most I've ever spent was for a bottle of 2011 Surly Darkness. Aging and admire the artwork everyday.

11. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (645) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

ouch, I don't think aging does KBS that much good honestly.

12. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

The Bruery Autumn Maple at $12.00. For the lack of quality, it was massively overpriced.

ChanChan likes this.
  13. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

Bomber of DFH 75 Minute IPA sitting in my fridge (it was a generous gift) with a price tag of $25 and some change. Haven't tasted it yet so it might be worth the splurge but no bomber should be so expensive.

14. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (280) Nebraska May 25, 2005

i feel like this years coffee bcbs is far inferior to last years and also like $6 more per bomber, so that i guess

15. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

My 6 pack of Westvleteren 12 on eBay, about 5 years ago. $95 shipped
    Ooops
    My CASE of World Wide Stout in 2008, it was $190
    dollar per ounce, the Westy wins out..or loses out.

16. Relevant username?

RelentlessLefty likes this.
  17. $28 + tax for a 3F Golden Blend 375mL. Was damn good but no where near the price point.

semibaked likes this.
  18. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

Pliny at 8 dollars a bottle. They even told me six, but then I looked at my tab....

19. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

My Westy 6'er was $123 of the bay about 6 yrs ago.

20. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

You mean Utopius? Infinium is only like 10 bucks...

21. cyraschris

cyraschris Aficionado (180) Florida Dec 15, 2012

tactical nuclear penguin I believe has been the most expensive as far as cost per volume. I think after getting it shipped it came out to around $67 for the bottle. never buying it again, but very glad to have tried it. was for the 'experience' if you will

22. Higy

Higy Aficionado (235) Indiana Feb 9, 2012

anything from shorelIne brewery consistently around $22 for bombers. they make a good beer when I've had it in their brewpub but they are only a local brewery.

23. I dropped 65$ on a bottle of Stille Nacht Reserva 2010 yesterday. 'Wales, bro.'

WassailWilly likes this.
  24. Anything Bruery, any vertical epic, and bolt cutter.

25. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

that's still cheaper than the only time I've ever seen Rare on a shop

26. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

$17.99 for a 4 pack of Gubna. Twas at a store that thinks it cute to mark up prices without labeling the prices on like 75% of the merchandise. Not sure why I thought it was $10.99. The guy rung it up and it said $17.99. For some reason I just said fuck it and bought it anyway.

Later I found out that the cheapest you can find Gubna in lower New York is $14.99, which is still overpriced. But $17.99??? Ridiculous.

27. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (370) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Gubna here is $10 all day long, well worth it to me. Paid $20 for Black Ops and $20 for Tart of Darkness. The Black ops was highly disappointing and the Tart of Darkness was damn near undrinkable. Lucky for me I'm an alcoholic so I manned up and drank the damn thing.

28. Once got a White Birch beer for free. I wish I could have that time back.

psnydez86 and semibaked like this.
  29. I paid $40 for 4 oz of 100% 1983 Dirty Horse off a keg. That was a monstrosity of a tick and worth it for me. When do you ever see a keg of Dirty Horse?... The answer is NEVER!

30. ~$3 a beer is honestly a very reasonable price for craft beer, especially in Philly.

My experience was also at the Foodery: They are really bad about putting prices on any of their beers so you often dont know how much a bottle is until you get to the register. A bottle of Rochefort 10 shocked me at roughly $25. Despite being one of the better bottle shops in Philly, I dont go there much any more because they dont label their prices (this has grown into a big pet peeve).

RobertColianni likes this.
  31. I did sell a bottle of Rare for over a hundy once too tho so ... Maybe I shouldve hung onto that bad boy

32. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

$80 for a CBS.

Worth Every penny! Drank 1st one while in line at DLD.

Got one more on the shelf for 2013 DLD.

33. $35 for two sixers at the Foodery? I'd be pleased; I'm usually over $30 just for one. Agreed, I highly dislike the lack of labeling and go there only for specific purchases...hence the $30 mix sixes...

34. taxman

taxman Savant (265) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Murda’d Out Stout for $50. As long as we keep paying for it, they will continue to charge for it!

JulianC likes this.
  35. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (425) Florida Jun 17, 2005

$36 for Fruet at my local bottle shop, it was a holiday treat for myself. I'm saving it for New Years. I'm sure it will be good but at that price it's a try it once beer.

JulianC likes this.
  36. You say that now! I would by another bottle if you see it. It's drinking great and I suspect it will age well.

37. Almost pains me to say, but I paid $65 (that includes shipping) for a bottle of Westy 12 from the Belgian shop.

38. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I tend to think that Jolly Pumpkin tends to be overpriced. They don't make bad beers, but they aren't worth the $18 price tag.

39. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (425) Florida Jun 17, 2005

Anything from Hoppin' Frog. Decent beer but not worth $13-18 a bomber.

40. $32 for 22oz of Goose Island Juliet. It was at a local bar so there was some mark-up in there. The beer was fantastic though.