1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your most overpriced buys

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by stealth, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Paid $35 for a bottle of eclipse Evan Williams. Worth maybe half that.

SteveD082791, djaeon and tacosandbeer like this.
  2. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (485) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

Paid $20 for a bottle of KBS at a bar - it's the first and only time I've had it, so I felt like I needed to shell it out since don't know if I'll ever find it at a liquor store. Luckily I was using a Groupon for dinner as well so it didn't feel like I was paying the full amount.

Buschyfor3 and AdmiralOzone like this.
  3. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

Most recently, 50/50 Eclipse. Very good, but not $30 good.

4. DmanGTR

DmanGTR Advocate (520) Florida Feb 19, 2008

$250 for Utopias.

MWilcox20 and AdmiralOzone like this.
  5. Especially since bombers are around $7 or so.

6. RyanBeer13

RyanBeer13 Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 24, 2011

200 ---- ebay

Tick

lucasj82 and lightman1 like this.
  7. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

$50 for two bottles of Bolt Cutter. Second two bottles I bought were $32.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  8. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I just bought a bottle of 2011 Three Philosophers for $15.99. Obviously the markup was due to its vintage. However, in the lower New York area, you don't see any vintage Ommegang (although you'd probably find some in Cooperstown and surrounding towns, which I live nowhere near). I thought 15.99 was pricey but who the hell knows when I'd get another chance to buy it.

Anyone else think this was a huge ripoff?

AdmiralOzone and utopiajane like this.
  9. Beachrat

Beachrat Aficionado (105) Florida Aug 25, 2011

Dont feel bad. I paid $225 for a bottle.

charlzm, 302BeerGuy and AdmiralOzone like this.
  10. Not huge- not at all; maybe just a bit overpriced, but not worth any real regrets at this point. Essentially you paid an extra $6 for the aging, and it very well may be worth it. Nothing ventured, and all that...

11. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

I do not think it is a ripoff AND I bet it tastes amazing =) It's the most expensive big bottle in their line up yes? (excepting chocolate indulgence of course)

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  12. The Vertical set ('11/'12/'13) retailed for $39.99 around here so maybe they broke up a pack and sold them individually. I don't think you got ripped off IMO

13. lightman1

lightman1 Aficionado (145) Arkansas Oct 19, 2013

$195 for a bottle of Utopias. My youngest son got it from his trading partner and we will split it. That included shipping. Looks like the trading partner did him right! Think someone else already said "Tick".

$15 for a bottle of local stout in a bar near Times Square. Prolly the first and last time.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  14. Derranged

Yea I suppose huge ripoff is an overstatement. I guess part of it is that its been a while since I've spent more than 5 bucks on a single bottle due to my recent financial issues. I feel better now, thanks. ;)

AdmiralOzone and TongoRad like this.
    1. I paid around $80 for Stone Southern Charred, Crime,Punishment and Westbrook Apple Brandy barrel aged Belgian Strong Dark(forgot the exact name). It was by far the most I've paid at once for so little.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  15. FinchSCF

FinchSCF Savant (270) Michigan Aug 22, 2013

This might be sacrelige to some but I'm pretty thrifty in general...

$25 for Oude De Tart. Great beer but I didn't need a 750ml to myself, and with being able to get Rodenbach Grand Cru at times for around $10 which I personally prefer, felt like I payed a bit much.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  16. ElijahRivera

ElijahRivera Savant (345) New York Jun 30, 2009

I paid $32 for a 4 pack of KBS, but I was just glad to be able to get four. I also paid $15 for a 12 oz of 120 Minute, and $26 for a 4 pack of BCBS. There are very few places to buy craft beer where I live, so the few places around seem to hike up the prices.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  17. halo3one

halo3one Advocate (545) Georgia Jun 6, 2014

18. Two stand out. A Lou Pepe Gueuze for $44 last summer, which, considering that's the only time I've seen a bottle of Cantillon aside from the classic gueuze in person, was a must-buy. Ended up being probably my fav beer of all time too. The other was a Peche n Brett for 30$ two weeks ago. Haven't opened it yet. Longtime want.

Also I paid over 20 each for Lolita and Halia last time they were released and they are not world-class beers, so it seemed like ripoff in retrospect.

19. primrose54

primrose54 Savant (310) Ohio Apr 7, 2009

$50-for a brandy DL

BearDownCats likes this.
  20. $5 for a bottle of Hopslam (way overrated). $10 for a bottle of Praire Ale (just a solid farmhouse ale, nothing special). $15 for a 4 pack of Gubna (average DIPA).

21. Sweffin

Sweffin Savant (350) Massachusetts Jun 25, 2013

$10 black note, though given how hard it was for me to find, I felt the price was appropriate even given markup (Mini rant about beer supply and demand don't match and it creates rarity)

Buschyfor3 and AdmiralOzone like this.
  22. $25 for Bo & Luke at Monk's Cafe in Philly, it was worth every penny.

23. HighonHops42

HighonHops42 Savant (270) Colorado Aug 17, 2014

16.99 DFH American Beauty

24. The most I have paid for a single bottle was $60 for Black Tuesday at The Bruery. I paid $45 for a 12oz bottle of brewdog - Tokyo Rising Sun in highland casks, then shipping was another $60 but you can get 1 bottle or 18 bottles and it's the same shipping price, so I got other beers with it. Just got Smokey and the Bois for $50 at a liquor store.....They had a deal where you buy 6 beers and you get the 7th for a nickle, so I got smokey and the bois ($50) Brewdog - Old World Russian Imperial Stout - ($25), Port Brewing - Older Viscosity ($18), FW - Double DBA x2 ($18 each), and Avery - 5 monks x2 ($15 each), but they gave me the second 5 monks for 5 cents (as it was the cheapest beer I bought). Still spent about $160 on 7 bottles of beer though......but totally worth it ;)

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  25. Ursushopsius

Ursushopsius Zealot (75) California Feb 11, 2014

$18 for Lost Abbey's Red Poppy Ale

vonnerbeer and AdmiralOzone like this.
  26. CaliSooner

CaliSooner Zealot (80) California Sep 18, 2013

Texas Liquor!! Spent way too much $ there.

27. Ciocanelu

Ciocanelu Advocate (510) Romania Aug 30, 2012

20 euros for a one year old Row 2/Hill 56.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  28. It's like I tell my wife, like Fight Club, we don't talk about craft beer related expenses!!

29. Derranged

I've spent 17 for Gubna once. To me its a really good IPA, but that's way too pricey. I've found it somewhere for under $10 which is perfect.

30. i think i paid $18 for a sixer of sculpin at total wine when i was in virginia. figured that i wouldn't be seeing sculpin any time soon after that, so i willingly bought it

dianimal likes this.
  31. 302BeerGuy

302BeerGuy Savant (320) Delaware Jun 11, 2014

Cisco / Sankaty Brewery: $13.99 a six pack. Good, but not worth the price.

32. yankeej13

yankeej13 Savant (485) Florida Sep 3, 2010

O'Haras Irish Whiskey Barrel Limited Edition...Found it in Ireland for 20 Euro. It was a good bottle to have since it doesn't get distributed outside Ireland but not worth the price.

33. 302BeerGuy

Another one was paying $37 + PA Sales Tax for Straub 1872. I just had to get it. Great beer, but not worth the price for a 24 Pack.

34. 302BeerGuy

Bolt Cutter! With a name like that it better have had an ABV of about 50%!!!

35. clarknova

clarknova Savant (345) Germany May 29, 2013

I spend 7€ for a 660ml bottle of Riegele Amaris 50 (an American Style Pale Lager from Augsburg, Germany). I know, that there are beers even more expensive, but this one is total sh*t. The brewery tries to make money out of the Craft Beer Hype in Germany by making "luxury beers", with no special taste compared with other (craft) beers. So avoid the creations of Riegele Braumanufaktur!

36. Sculpin is definitely expensive and probably overpriced (especially a bomber for $9) but damn tasty and that's what it runs everywhere ($16-$18 for a sixer)

kevinlater likes this.
  37. In general 50/50 Eclipse, Cascade, Lost Abby and Bruery. I love beers from all of these brands, but having tried a lot of beers at this point there are certainly equal or better options for less.

dianimal, breadwinner and vonnerbeer like this.
  38. Tanktizzo

Tanktizzo Aficionado (145) Illinois May 19, 2014

$15.99 for a sixer of Gumballhead. The place by me also sells there bombers at $13.99, when you can get them everywhere else for $11.99.

BKRMKR and Dayman766 like this.
  39. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

$35 for a bottle of Eclipse EC 20 yr Old. really an amazing BA Stout, worth the money.