1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your New Year's (Beer's) resolutions for 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Mine is that after spending the last couple of years trying to chase down rare and limited releases and more often than not being underwhelmed, I am going to spend most of 2013 re-visiting and enjoying some of the classics that I haven't drank in quite some time. I will still venture out and try some new beers, but it won't be as much of a priority tracking them down as in years past. What's your new beer's resolution?

2. HANGOVER

HANGOVER Aficionado (185) Nov 23, 2012

Reduce the amount of beer I collect for the cellar and put a serious dent in my collection.

3. Drink more awesome beer than I did this year!

4. Exact same thing I was going to post when I read the title. :)

FEUO likes this.
  5. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

Buy Way less beer. drink down my cellar. not to collect beer like pokemon cards

6. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I like some of these answers (drinking down cellars). Leaves more on the shelves for me to pick up. I hope. :p

Mine is to keep expanding my horizons and try more beer. However, I also have a plan to buy more cases of the session beers I really like and quit wasting my $ on watery/BMC stuff.

7. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

#1 Be present at Hunaphu,s release.
    #2 Start doing some bottle trades.
    #3 Add a few more quality bottles to my cellar and attend some bottle shares/tastings.

badb_rad and robinsmv like this.
  8. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

F That - I want some KBS and a Parabola.

9. I will finally be making my move to San Diego within 2 months soooo...I am driving an RV across the country and plotting all my beer destinations till I get to my craft beer mecca.

10. Drink more burp less.

dcloeren likes this.
  11. Every year I do "Dry January." This is the only drinking (beer) resolution that I do. Helps me get back into shape after the holidays.

Daktah and BillyCannon like this.
  12. 1) Drink more.
    2) Meet some local beer aficionados whether they are on BA or not
    3) Further expand my beer horizons

robinsmv likes this.
  13. To parlay the knowledge I acquire during my Christmas trip to Duesseldorf and Koeln into a perfect homebrewed Alt and Koelsch.

strictly4DK and steorn like this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Buy less beer, I don't need to jump on every new release that comes along.

15. Collect less in the cellar and drink more sour and wild ales. The sours are expensive but if I stop putting so many big stouts in the cellar it should even out.

16. hctap00

hctap00 Aficionado (185) Maryland Nov 2, 2012

Continue my efforts to learn/appreciate sours. Not going well so far.

BillyCannon likes this.
  17. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Stop going out with my buddies when I have like 200 beers sitting my cellars. I do need to drink my cellar, but the problem is that I stop buying beers around late Feb, and I have about 1 month to drink my brews before it starts warming up, and I can't drink barley wines and stouts when it is warm outside. Ah, the troubles of a first world citizen.

18. Cascade77

Cascade77 Aficionado (220) Vermont May 14, 2009

OP pretty much nailed my resolution. A lot of the (often high priced) one-offs are just too hit or miss. I'd like to see breweries move towards lineups with several consistently brewed tasty beers rather than mixing up a new variation every other batch, calling it something different and charging crazy prices that they know the beer geeks will pay (myself included sometimes). I intend to do my small part to encourage this change by sticking to mostly well established beers that I KNOW are good.

19. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Drink less burp more!!

20. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (425) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

Start beer trading. I keep hearing I need to try Zombie Dust...

21. My Resolution is to buy less beer and brew more beer. Along with get my cellar under control and drink it down

22. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Drink more from the cellar, attend more beer events and take down every beer on the Beers of Fame list.

23. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

- Try more Pennsylvania brews. (Visit Troegs)
    - Get over my fear of trading and land a few brews I've wanted to try for a while.
    - Stop buying entire cases (kinda hard not to in PA though).

pschul4, kirbmeist and kingmaker like this.
  24. Spend less $ on accumulating (cellaring) bottles, and more $ on special beer events, parties, tap takeovers, official beer weeks, traveling to a few US cities to explore the local beer scene, etc etc.

I find that's where I get most of the enjoyment out of the hobby anyway.

25. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Start cellaring beers, something I've never had the patience to do before. I already got it stated when I came across the Ommegang XV 15th Anniversary Ale about a month ago. I'll be keeping my eye out for more beers to cellar.

26. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Pliny. KBS. Heady.

And maybe Westy 12.

kirbmeist likes this.
  27. Once you go Zombie, you'll never go back.

28. Not to let my cellar get over 50 bottles again. It got out of hand this year and thankfully over past 2 months, I've gotten it back to manageable.

29. T-RO

T-RO Savant (300) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

Figure out how to fund this hobby without a certain wine drinker in the family catching on.

LilBilly666 likes this.
  30. rundocrun

rundocrun Savant (280) Iowa Oct 1, 2010

I'm with a lot of people on this thread: Actually start drinking what's in my cellar! Also, brew at least 4 more batches of homebrew (maybe a seasonal for each season?). As well as finding a "summer beer" and sticking to it. I'm tired of constantly having "beer ADD" and I think I'd benefit from knowing I have a cold 6-pack (or 12-pack/case) of a solid, refreshing craft brew on hand to cool off during the Iowa summer.

31. This was something that I meant to do this year, but never got around to. I'd like to take February off from drinking (shortest month) to help get in better shape. Hoping to hold myself to this in 2013.

libbey likes this.
  32. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

That is exactly what I was going to say...plus do more home brewing.

whiskeytown, Rocket80 and rundocrun like this.
  33. I'm seeing several people have the same resolution as I do: "Buy less beer." I just don't have time to drink all the beer that I acquire.
    That bein said, I have had that same resolution for mnths now and I haven't come close to keeping it.
    When I leave the ofice this afternoon my first stop is to check and see what came in this week.

rundocrun likes this.
  34. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Contingent on the Mayan calendar...

35. Overall I want to spend less. Instead of buying anything I remotely want to try, I'm going to focus on lambics and new beers from breweries I trust.

36. You see just about every other post is "stop cellaring/drink more from my cellar"?

I foresee your 2014 beer resolution to be, "stop cellaring/drink more from the cellar."

37. Drink beers.

denver10 and PatriotsRule like this.
  38. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

Not spend any money on Port/Lost Abbey

HopsintheSack likes this.
  39. Drink Black Tuesday from between a stripper's fake tits.

Oh wait, 2013? Drink White Chocolate from between a stripper's fake tits.

40. stop buying beers I can't afford just because of their stellar BA rating.

pschul4, denver10, bsp77 and 8 others like this.