1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your New Year's (Beer's) resolutions for 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Visit more local breweries.

Really focus on fine-tuning my own brewing abilities and perfect my single tier HERMS system.

Chip away at my cellar.

Introduce more of my friends and family to craft beer - help them identify styles that they like.

Convince my soon-to-be wife to try more styles.
    mkurylko likes this.
  2. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Why not Grey Monday?

Cheers!
    Knownfactor likes this.
  3. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Move out of WV
  4. Because Grey Monday in a bottle is much harder to obtain than a set of fake tits to drink it between. . .

But I will need a resolution for 2014 . . .
  5. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

West Virginia will always be home, but moving away was the best thing I ever did.
    jmw likes this.
  6. 7ate9

7ate9 Savant (265) Virginia Apr 26, 2007

Drink more home brew.
    Fight the urge to buy every single special release.
  7. Improve my home brewing skills/equipment and improve efficiency. (only done 3 All grain batches so far).
    Visit More Local Breweries.
    Make a trip beer trip through Vermont (shouldnt be too difficult coming from Boston).
    Purchase more beer I love and less beer I haven't tried.
    Gash likes this.
  8. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I thought as an RS member you get a free one?

Cheers!
  9. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

a free set of fake tits? I'm in!
    commis likes this.
  10. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

To start more Goose Island threads.:p
  11. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

Cut back on drinking a little (3-4 per night down to 2 per night), and trying to get out to more beer related events.
  12. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

i can lie and say i want to drink local and trim down my cellar but in reality im going to buy more beer and trade for more things i probably dont need.
    cavedave, mkurylko, cosmonick and 2 others like this.
  13. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (450) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Haha it just might be. But honestly I'm so impatient; just to make sure I didn't drink my Ommegang XV I made a $50 bet with my girl that I could make it past January 11th (she obviously doesn't have much faith in my cellaring abilities). I figure I'll age the XV for maybe 6 months. I don't foresee my cellar ever having more than a dozen or so bottles in it at one time.
  14. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Stop trying to get every single release. It is tiring sometimes...though really rewarding as well.
  15. Do we? They didn't give me a bottle when I went and picked up 2 weeks ago. . . maybe its at a later date.
  16. djaeon

Not "free" with membership, but I believe RS members get the option to buy it. (according to the benefits list on their site)
  17. Gatch

Gatch Savant (450) Massachusetts Nov 29, 2006

To actually start homebrewing! (and therefore spend less on beer in the long term, hopefully?)

Totally with you guys on these sentiments.
  18. Same as last year - tick more beers. I think I set a goal of 1,000 new ticks for 2012 and right now I am sitting at 1,896 for the year. I will definitely be well over 2,000 new ticks in 2012 before 2013 hits.
  19. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Jesus christ....
  20. djaeon

Wow, that's about 5.5 different beers per day for 2012
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  21. Gatch

Gatch Savant (450) Massachusetts Nov 29, 2006

Have you been continuously buzzed for the entire year?
  22. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

The same as last years..

drink more beer...
    bifrost17 likes this.
  23. No, but I have my moments for sure.
  24. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

Buy less Three Floyds. Zombie Dust is their only real value anyway; the rest of their lineup is over-priced, over-hyped, and I'm over it.
  25. Have more beer tastings with friends so I can stop hoarding all this beer. It just sits there...
  26. Set a beer budget that wouldn't have to hide from my wife. Oh, and sticking to it as well. Let some releases slip through my fingers. Stretch goal would be start home brewing.
  27. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Damn yes, some honesty in this thread! I was sitting here thinking...hmmm....what should I post...? Then I saw what you had to say and I was like "you know what?...Fuck it! That dude is totally right!!!"

At least you and I know that we'll have a damn good year next year.
    xnicknj and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  28. bld81

bld81 Aficionado (195) Missouri Mar 9, 2009

Tell my wife I'll drink less beer (and tell myself to drink just a little bit more)
    JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  29. I am in LA too...
    ehammond1 and luisc123 like this.
  30. Meet ya in the middle.
  31. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I don't wanna make fun of your home state but I've been through WV. Lets just say it left a memorable impression on me. Besides the constant threat of getting crushed by boulders, people driving way too fast on mountain roads, the amount of confederate flags I saw (don't they know WV was a union state?), never really getting to enjoy the scenery because ever 50 feet there's a giant Coal mine and how bad I hear the beer disto is. It was actually really a beautiful place.
    stayclean likes this.
  32. mweso2000

mweso2000 Savant (310) Georgia Apr 10, 2010

To try 50 new beers. This year I have had 130
  33. 1) Gain an appreciation or at least a better understanding/tolerance for Scottish/Scotch/Wee Heavys
    2) Try Westy 12
    3) Attend Schlafly Repeal of Prohibition fest
    4) Drink more English/UK and German beer
  34. Become BJCP certified at judging (even if it's just the lowest level) and start home brewing.
  35. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Spend a week in Portland eating and drinking, visit Sierra Nevada, take a homebrewing class.
  36. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (455) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Start homebrewing, start trading, and make it to at least one release party (thinking Darkness Day) with a few good bottles to share. I'd like to say buy less, but that's just not realistic. I'm just getting into this thing!
  37. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (660) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Make some local beer friends because I am getting tired of talking my non-beer friends' ears off all the time and not getting much response.
    Rathakem, RyanLigeia and Gatch like this.
  38. more homebrew. first partial mash batch. always have someone else driving home and/or calling a cab.

cheers !
  39. Drink less.
  40. Get my hands on a BCBVS!