1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your New Year's (Beer's) resolutions for 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Get my hands on a BA CCB brew. They've been eluding me even though Im in Fl

2. This

danoble1 likes this.
  3. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (350) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

To have a plan for almost every 6 pack or $15+ bomber I buy. If it's Zombie Dust to drink some now and the rest soon. Expedition to lug it to the cellar for a year, but no more hauling home $150 worth of DIPA and setting it on the kitchen floor while I figure out what goes in the fridge and what goes downstairs.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  4. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

What is your New Year's (Beer's) resolution for 2013?...

to only drink beer on days of the week that end with the letter "y"

CHADMC3 likes this.
  5. Optifron

Optifron Aficionado (205) Illinois Aug 17, 2012

To all those who said start homebrewing, do it! I'd say after reading many beginner homebrew books, I'd recommend John Palmer's How to Brew more than any other (although most have their individual merits and are entertaining and/or useful reads).

As for me...
    1) Do my first all grain homebrew batch, thanks to some soon-to-come presents from girlfriend and family
    2) Similar to OP. Spend less time/money pursuing special/anniversary/limited releases and allow part of myself to go back to enjoying the simple goodness of an inexpensive (relative to expensive limited releases), easily available greats. Which for me in central Illinois will probably be standard lineups from Founders, Great Lakes, Bell's, and a few other nationally distributed favorites (and of course, homebrews).

6. Save as much money as possible for one month in order to blow as much money as possible in three days during my voyage to Cali to pop my Pliny the Younger cherry.

Gash and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  7. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

Pretty typical of what's been said so far. I've already been in the mindset recently that I'm tired of trying to snag every new release and shelling out big bucks for rare beers that are often only marginally better than many year round beers that cost way less. I had a lot of good things happen for me this year and my goals are really shifting towards family oriented things, the biggest being home ownership. I will definitely be tightening the reigns on finances. So, in short...

a lot of Sierra Nevada for me

8. Pretty much cut back on what I spend and how much I consume. I tried a lot of different beers since I made it a hobby a few months ago, and I'm starting realize I don't need to try everything that comes my way or would be fine getting a single of something. I only need a couple of my standbys to be satisfied, because I'm finding it harder and harder to be impressed by new beers.

9. Now that I've spent the better part of this year just trying bunches of stuff, I'm planning on ensuring more quality than quantity by going after stuff that's highly reputable even it's a little costlier to get since it's not local. So I'm hoping to go more online and spending the extra $$$ to get Deschutes and Russian River and Firestone Walker product than just trying stuff that looks average but I can conveniently get.

10. Start reviewing beers (just did my first review like 10 minutes ago, west coast IPA)
    Start trading beers
    Taste more sours, lambics and geuzues. Ive just had St Louis Fond Tradition and a few Russian Rivers.

11. Drink at least one walezbro. Period.

brother_kenneth likes this.
  12. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (470) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Eat healthy and drink wealthy!

13. Drink
    More
    Lambic

Etan and Gosox8787 like this.
  14. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Advocate (500) Idaho Dec 7, 2010

Limit to 1 beer a night, try to space out evenings that I do drink, don't pop a top after 8pm or so, and I'm only going to trade if one my regulars asks me for something.

There is plenty available here without breaking the bank shipping all over the country.

15. Write better reviews, brew better beers, get back to the roots of beer, understand each style for what it's textbook standards are, understand glassware better so that tasting is maximized, welcome new breweries into my life as I feel I've been slightly tunnel-visioned with some of my favorites these last couple years (here's to you Great Divide, Lagunitas, Anderson Valley)...

FlakyBiscuit likes this.
  16. Brew more beer. I have my first batch in secondary and the ingredients for my second batch on standby. I'm bottling current batch a week from tomorrow and boiling the next batch the following day.

jmich24 likes this.
  17. Ooji

Ooji Zealot (75) Germany Dec 23, 2010

Reserve 6 trips to the Abbey to purchase Westy 12 and more. Westvleteren is a 5 hour drive from my house:)

SaintBenedict and gklover1 like this.
  18. If anyone in southern CT has this problem of "too many beers in the cellar" by all means, let me help you. :)

19. 1) I'd like to check in 200 unique beers to Untappd

2) Drink the beer after I buy it. I have to many beers that I've unintentionally cellared and just keep getting pushed back in my drinking que.

3) Start brewing again. Once I'm able to quit one of my three jobs, that will much easier.

20. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Sell more beer, collect more beer, cellar more Lambics, and meet more standup BAs!

Etan likes this.
  21. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

Maybe we can knock out all 3 on the same day

22. strohme2

strohme2 Savant (450) Michigan Nov 3, 2007

Same as last year's resolution, I don't need every new beer that comes out. Just because it's a new seasonal or entirely new I don't need to try it.

23. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Sounds great! I forgot to add to the resolution I will attend the Rare DOS release at Pegs and grab few growlers, that would make for a great bottle share. :D

24. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

Working 2-11 :( plus that is still in this year

25. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Buy less beer.

Steal more beer.

26. Make my first all grain batch of homebrew.

27. 1) Continue consuming my cellar
    2) Buy less American craft and purchase more imports
    3) Homebrew more

28. Pour a Storm King Imperial Stout over a Hop Devil, and a Prima Pils over a Hop Wallop.

29. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

This past year mine was to become a Certified Cicerone and I did it in October, so I am pleased with that. My goal next year is to make a real difference in the organizational knowledge and expertise of the company I am in. I would like to help train as many teammates as possible to pass the Certified Beer Server test and hopefully spark some passions and desires for others to earn the Certified Cicerone.

Oh, I also want to drink as much Hopslam as possible in February.

What about you? What are your hopes and dreams for 2013 on your continued journey through the world of beer?

30. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Drink beer. Not too much. Mostly IPAs.

davey101, alix, Torieos and 3 others like this.
  31. Cut down on drinking, but when I do, only 90+ rated beers. Hit the weights more.

cfh64, YogiBeer, gshak and 2 others like this.
  32. Hope to drink some great beers with great people.

33. seeswo

seeswo Savant (490) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

Gain 50+ pounds

34. BillieWest

BillieWest Aficionado (165) Oct 13, 2012

Find a beer my girlfriend likes.

35. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

The number of days/week that I drink beer < or = The number of days/week I work out.

36. Hoping to venture into all-grain brewing.

37. Make a trip to a new brewery/event: HF, DLD, founders, dark horse....something new...

gklover1, Naterobsnyk4, Pecan and 3 others like this.
  38. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Get my cellar under control, as I buy more than I drink and I'm sitting on way too much now. Have a bunch of stuff I just don't want anymore (so more LIFs from me too)

cfh64, gshak, jkane101 and 6 others like this.
  39. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

Find a girlfriend.

40. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Well....

1. Visit more events.
    2. Stop trading so much
    3. Reach 2500 reviews.
    4. Visit more So.Cal breweries on the weekends.

Cheers!