1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your New Year's (Beer's) resolutions for 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Attending the Brussels Beer Fest, going to the Delirium Cafe and remembering how I got back to the hotel. I completed the first two but failed on the third in 2012. I have an understanding wife.
  2. I wanna get back out to CO for the GABF again.
    johnnyboy76 likes this.
  3. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

- Brew a Sour/Lambic and leave it for the whole year in secondary
    - Hit Germany, Italy, and Belgium as part of my Europe trip
    - Make it down to Corvallis for a Block 15 release
    luwak likes this.
  4. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

give away more beer
    Resuin likes this.
  5. Thedaver4220

Thedaver4220 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

Go to siebel and get a job in a brewery
    dsal89 likes this.
  6. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

To find a beer my brother likes. I have thrown everything I can think of at him with no luck. He will love beer if it's the last thing I do!
    fmccormi likes this.
  7. I want to try flights from the following breweries. Thats my goal, go to brewries when im out, and just order a flight.

Jackie O's (already done it once, and was blown away. so good, but I want more)
    Weasel Boy (Zanesville, OH)
    The Brew Kettle
    Fatheads
    Natty Greene's (Raleigh, NC)
    Buckeye Brewing Co.
    Olde Mecklenburg (Charlotte, NC)

I do want to try more of the Asheville breweries (Pisgah, Wedge, Green Man, and Asheville Brewing). Ive been in the state for a year, its time to branch out and try some of the harder to find stuff.
  8. My goal is to try as many new beers as I can. I started keeping track of all the beers I have tried on Untappd and want to try a lot more styles and different breweries to find out what really I like. Probably tried about 50 new beers so far in 2012 and want to double that in 2013.
  9. Finally go to GABF!!!!
    also... Trade more. I can't get enough of Pliny and Heady Topper.
  10. Tick another ~2000 beers like I did this year.
  11. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Savant (280) California Nov 21, 2011

buy less "new" beers and stick to more classic ones i know i already enjoy and maybe this will keep the cellar less stocked of random one offs.
  12. Resuin

Resuin Champion (770) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

Find a girlfriend my beer likes.
  13. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Take and pass the Cicerone exam in February...
    CellarGimp likes this.
  14. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Stop thinking about the money I spend on beer
    robmoak likes this.
  15. maybe make it up to revolution and half acre.
    dsal89 likes this.
  16. maximep

maximep Savant (265) New York Oct 23, 2009

brew kickass beer that dissuades me from buying shelf beers and six packs (<--- when pigs fly)
  17. Dan_Bowman

Learn to apprciate Stouts / Porters. Not easy for a hop head.
  18. Finally break into trading. Starters?
  19. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Well, do you like coffee and chocolate?
  20. Dan_Bowman

I like coffee.
  21. Review a lot of beers, start trading and start trying more sours.
  22. Squatchito

Squatchito Savant (250) Virginia Dec 6, 2007

Actually review more beers
    Start Cicerone path
    Brew more
    Work up the courage to start trading

Those are fairly attainable methinks.
  23. I seem to be on the opposite end here. I actually need to drink less and cellar more. I swear I get anything close to "rare" or hard to get, I want to taste it immediately.
  24. I didn't start slipping until just a few weeks ago, but get back to only drinking beer on days I worked out (or did something else to justify the calories like a long work shift or what have you) so I can stay in shape. Mostly it's to start going for quality over quantity though. I spent the better part of this year just trying as many beers and brewers as I could to expand my knowledge of the industry/hobby. Now it's time for me to spread the money around less and put it more toward going after the really reputable stuff. Not chasing rares mind you, that just seems silly to me, but going out of my way to get stuff product like Deschutes, Russian River, Schlafly, Cigar City and so on that I cannot get here shipped/sent to me and indulge in their highly regarded products. By January 1st I'll probably have spent the past year trying 320 or so new beers; I'll gladly cut that number in half to start getting hands on more highly touted/recommended product...
  25. Also, because I like to write, I may start blogging about craft beer or playing up a connection I have in one of the Pittsburgh papers' offices and see if they have an interest on the subject and industry. There's gotta be some culture section space to be filled up somewhere.
  26. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

To drink more beer but at the same time to drink less beer!!
  27. Drink 4x Fou Founes per month.
  28. Start trading, and try some of the beers I keep reading about here but cannot buy locally ( bcbs/ kbs/ Hf beers/ founders/ FFF/ heady topper/ and the list goes on and on and on).
  29. I want to be the first to tic the Canadian top 100, I'm at 91 and don't think its humanly possible. That being said I'm a beer drinking monster and how hard can it be to drink 9 beers in one year?
  30. -Continue reviewing (maybe reach 2500 reviews this next year) and learning about beers.
    -Knock some things off my wants list.
    -visit Hill Farmstead again
    -start brewing
    -continue hosting / attending great tastings with my friends
    Beerontwowheels likes this.
  31. Brew.
    mtalley999 likes this.
  32. GeoffreyM

GeoffreyM Savant (440) Pennsylvania Feb 23, 2012

-Visit Hill Farmstead again.
    -Drink everything on tap at Blackback Pub.
    -Monthly trips to Tired Hands.
    -Pick up some home brewing equipment and start brewing.

and goal number one: Go to Tree House Brewing Co.
  33. Finally successfully trade for anything from Hill Farmstead!!!
  34. I've observed that I have the habit of buying any and all new beers that cross my path. While my wallet seems to have faired pretty well thus far, I am sad to say that my midsection has not. Moving forward, I'd like to earnestly try to resist the urge to stock my fridge with each beer I come across, but rather focus on styles I like along with those beers that are highly recommended. With any luck I'll trim down my cellar, consumption, and hopefully my gut.
  35. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

- Trade less
    - Drink local (corollary to above)
    - Spend less (consequence of above two)
    - Either get a kegerator or stop talking about it
    - Try not to get banned from any more new bars / stores
    - Spend 3-4 quality beer days in San Diego
    - Go a full year without going on BA timeout
    SpeedwayJim likes this.
  36. - to start drinking at work
  37. sullenbee

sullenbee Savant (340) Michigan Jan 15, 2010

1. Get more equipment and venture into all-grain brewing
    2. Buy less beer and home brew more.
    3. Get a job related to the beer industry. (This is a maybe. Ideally, any job will do considering I'm currently unemployed.)
    4. Tour across the country next summer on my bicycle, camp each night/or couch surf and end each night with a beer. This will take care of a few problems: My waistline, my desire to travel cheaply, and my quest to visit as many different breweries as possible. I did a month long car road trip this past summer and finally got to visit the west coast. Next time around I don't want to spend $700 on gas that I could be spending on beer.
    5. Stop worrying about releases/festivals. If I can afford it, go for it. If not, enjoy the beers I love year round and stop fretting over missing out on things.
  38. tommykb127

tommykb127 Zealot (95) Georgia Jun 22, 2010

cicerone certification.
    CellarGimp likes this.
  39. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Learn how to limit my beer spending to $ 50.00/ week. (Tax and deposit included.)