1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your New Year's (Beer's) resolutions for 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by keithmurray, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Spend less on beer, I expect 2013 to be less blessed financially. Drink less imports, drink less, less expenses at bars, less fancy tastings, drink cheaper stuff, put a limit on expenses, either max. 2 trades or no trades at all, less days that I will be drinking, put a budget limit on things. I am already evolving towards that point… Would maybe like to do Optalse festival again, not sure about Borefts due to the cost, with the possible exception of Borefts no beer trips abroad.

JulianC likes this.
  2. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (320) California Feb 4, 2012

Chocolate Rain.

3. 1) Acquire AND enjoy some Hill Farmstead
    2) Acquire AND enjoy some New Glarus
    3) Brewvival in Charleston
    4) Stockpile all of my favorites, for fear of disappearance. 4) Try not to gain 30 lbs while enjoying 1-4

4. Schwerzpunkt

Schwerzpunkt Aficionado (135) Oct 9, 2012

My main one is to try at least one highly rated beer in each style (just turned 21 at the end of August). I also want to just gain more experience with and knowledge of each style so that I have a better context for my reviews.

5. tony32408

tony32408 Aficionado (215) New York Sep 21, 2009

I hope to hoard as much beer as possible. Drink none of it, share it with no one and post lots of pictures of my beer on beeradvocate.com. Oh, and support only large macro breweries.

6. To enjoy beer in pubs more often than I do now (too much solo at-home drinking lately).

7. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

- Continue brewing regularly for the whole year
    - European beercation! London, Brussels, Bamberg, Munich, etc.? Still in the preliminary stages of planning :)
    - Vermont road trip -- Hill Farmstead, the Alchemist, etc.

I'm excited.

8. Stay with the basics, stop thinking that all these new great beers are going to be better then my staples and then being dissapointed.

Like everyone else, drink the beer in my cellar, not just look at it in and imagine how good all that beer is.

Just buy beer I happen upon at the store, no more searching out and caring if I miss something like KBS because well I have realized all beers are just beer and none are really special enough to spend time in my life searching for.

9. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Good luck! Make sure you know the tasting part cold, especially your off flavors. Its the most difficult portion and the one that people fail most frequently. Cheers

10. divineaudio

divineaudio Savant (400) Michigan Dec 7, 2009

1. Finish out the Beers of Fame list.
    2. Attend as many beer releases as my wallet can handle.
    3. Go to the Eccentric Cafe already, damnit. (Had plans 2 or 3 times now that always fall through).

11. 1) To keep on expanding my beer palate until I find my go to craft beer. (So many have been so good!)
    2) To find more regional brews when ever I am on vacation and check out the breweries whenever possible.
    3) To become a trusted trader.

12. Start Homebrewing, Hit at least 5 new breweries, get Cicerone certified.

13. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

After more thought, I will also add that I will attend more beer FESTIVALS and avoid chasing whales at bottle release events at breweries. Too much hype and effort to be worth it. Great beer is everywhere.

Gash likes this.
  14. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

To drink a 72oz bottle of Piraat and punch a stripper in the face at least once a month.

15. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

Spend less money.

Gash likes this.
  16. NarrowG8

NarrowG8 Disciple (65) Oct 1, 2012

Mine is slightly opposite of most... actually start a cellar! I always seem to drink them before I can age them. Other than that, try some more rarities and make a trip to Vermont for a haul from Heady Topper & Hill Farmstead !

Gash likes this.
  17. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

mine is to continue trying B-rated beers that are awesome, and to not make more than 2 store visits a week.

18. atone315

atone315 Advocate (680) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

Staying off the FT: ISO: and only trading with established partners....feels like a creepy, dark alley there and I want no part of it!

Also, paying CaveDave back for getting me into trading...I think Central Waters is releasing some pretty choice brews sooooooon...

19. I'll be looking to finally try the last 8 beer styles that had eluded me so far, so I can round up the whole beer style list posted here on BA.
    American Dark Wheat Ale
    Biere De Champagne-Biere Brut
    Braggot
    English Pale Mild Ale
    Gose
    Kvass
    Lambic-Unblended
    Happoshu

Gash likes this.
  20. Cut out beer altogether for 60 days...sorry to ruin the party! New Job recently and awesome opportunity.

I'll be popping a 18 year EC Eclipse tomorrow night if that helps make this response sound any better.

I'll get back on the horse...

21. Good luck to you man.

22. alanc

alanc Aficionado (105) California Aug 13, 2009

Enjoying these styles myself, my guess is your math at the end of 2013 will prove your theory to be all wet. I will look for your reply in resolutions 2014 thread.

Alan

23. alanc

alanc Aficionado (105) California Aug 13, 2009

24. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

To use some of my money for actual food.

YogiBeer and LilBilly666 like this.
  25. Try to balance my 2 alcohol related hobbies...or obsessions in some cases, beer and bourbon. Also I hope to do more locals trades. By locals I mean trading a mixed 6 of my best local brewery for a mixed 6 of your best local. I will continue to drink MUCH more beer than all of my friends and be in better shape than them. Ah, the joys of being a short person.

26. broseidon

broseidon Zealot (85) Ohio Oct 17, 2012

1. Get into trading. I've been meaning to, but I usually end up drinking stuff meant for trades/ bringing it out for special occasions.

2. Work on trying to appreciate sours. I haven't written off the style completely, I just have yet to find one that I really enjoy. I have some great pairing tips from regulars and coworkers at my workplace, I just have to get myself to take the risk of spending money and not liking it.

3. Drink a beer in every country I travel through this summer on the Mongol Rally, and try to bring back some of it to the states with me.

27. I'm going to try for something close to that, though not totally dry. But I could definitely stand to drop some fat and my current level of consumption isn't helping any, especially here in Stout Season. But I've dedicated a pack of BCBS for the effort (intending to ration myself to one every Saturday night in January), and I'm gonna make a real effort to cut it out altogether during the week, and supplement my Saturnalia with just one bomber or two 12 ozs.

28. Give IPA's a rest and start home brewing.

YogiBeer likes this.
  29. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (585) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Yeah what he said. However he way I am going to put a dent in my cellar is to have some BA friends over from time to time to share my brews more!!

30. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (400) California Feb 15, 2011

Only drink beer once a week, because I'm starting to get too fat

YogiBeer likes this.
  31. Rckmo10

Rckmo10 Aficionado (230) California Sep 13, 2009

To make more beer than I buy, not quite as easy as it sounds.

YogiBeer likes this.
  32. i concur. I am not sure why it has taken me so long to realize that beer is my true calling. At least its calling my name right now ;). Also I would like to put subscribe to beer advocate magazine on this list ( i know, i appear to be a regular girl scout, scouting for beer ).

33. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

-Be able to quit work and do my show full time (biggest one)
    -Take and pass the beer servers exam
    -Broadcast from San Diego Craft Beer Conference & GABF

34. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

-Upgrade brewing equipment
    -Visit more breweries in Texas & try to visit breweries in other states (got a trip to Colorado planned for May)
    -Go to more BA events in town (tough, because I work overnights)
    -Go to La Muerta Day next year at Freetail
    -Get bigger fridge so I can store more beer at 55F than I do now
    -Get my girlfriend into sours
    -Convince/trick a brewery I love into hiring me (alright, that one might not happen)

35. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Try to buy less beer.
    Drink down my cellar.
    Get beer for others more often.
    Get a couple bottles of every ccb one off.

36. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Finally starting the beer project (commercially brewing my own beers) I have been thinking about for some time. Really hope something comes of it this year, that's the plan...

37. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Find a girlfriend my beer likes

Keithstone44 likes this.
  38. kpanter

kpanter Aficionado (220) Florida Nov 25, 2012

-Start homebrewing
    -Try more beers (Hill Farmstead, FFF, and other breweries known for amazing IPAs/DIPAs/IIPAs)
    -Go to Hunahpu's Day & try every CCB special release of 2013

39. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

I just started studying for mine.(Certified Cicerone) But my beer goal now, is just to get my hands on my long wish list of world-class beers. I have already obtained a few, but want several more for a 5 star tasting. But buying a house comes before beer....:/

40. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (700) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

1. Get more of my friends into good beer.
    2. Attend a few events.
    3. Try to get at least to 50 out of the top 100 beers marked off my to do list.