1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

your opinions on the state of Australian beer and a the scene over all

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by mulder1010, Apr 21, 2012.

1. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Yes but how much do you charge for a pint and how much does he charge?
  2. Someone can correct the math if wrong, but on the Ballast Point kegs all but the Sculptin was $130 per keg (58l), $6-7 a pint at cellar doors and mostbars, or 4.6 - 5.3 times margin. Our cost was $300 (50l keg), $12.5 a pint 3.2 times margin. Lot better margins over here!
  3. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I would pay 10 bucks for a pint of Sculpin in the US, and happily tip the bartender serving me that extra 3-4 bucks, every. single. time.

I would not, however, pay 12.50 for a pint of any Australian craft beer, except for maybe something from Feral. And that is a big maybe.
  4. ALEBOY

ALEBOY Savant (315) Australia May 31, 2003

Bit of a silly statement isn't it ?
    I am curious as to what you drink both at home and out (in both regular and beer focused venues) ?
  5. foles

foles Savant (375) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Interesting document. From having been many of the countries on both ends of the scale. I'll give some examples of my observations:
    Denmark (high excise): Handful of great creative breweries, but no general beer culture is noticable.
    Germany (low excise): Thousands of good breweries, classic beer culture, beer is part of everyday life.
    UK (high excise): Bit of a paradox - they seem to be at the top of the excise scale on this chart, but they have a great beer culture and growth in breweries. And real ale is very cheap at the pub. I think there is a excise relief for small breweries and some other concessions to encourage growth. Maybe the UK has a better targeted alcohol program unlike Australia which blankets everything except wine. We could be like the UK if there was a more intelligent approach to these issues here.
  6. dbol

dbol Aficionado (245) Missouri Aug 19, 2007

as an ex-pat that comes back home fairly regularly i really like what's happening in australia with breweries opening up and the availability of good quality craft beer expanding.

that said, the cost is something that was very hard to come to terms with and i wish there was more variety in styles. there seems to be a glut of pale ales and average lagers or wheat beers. thanks to mrkennedy i was able to try some other stuff, which was great so i know it's there, it's just harder to track down. especially up north.

i haven't spent time in sydney or melbourne in a while (or perth for that matter), so i haven't experienced the best there is to offer, but there's my 2 cents.
    MrKennedy likes this.
  7. Lukie

Are you saying my statement is silly?

I rarely go out, because I refuse to pay exhorberant prices for something when I can happily drink it at home for much cheaper.

The only Australian beer that lives up to Sculpin levels, that I have had, is Feral Rye IPA. I was paying, from memory, 10 bucks for a pint. The fact that I can't even get a pint of Squire for 10 bucks in Perth, shows you how horrible bar prices are.
  8. danieelol

it's the excise man...

best beer I've ever had was Illawarra Barleywine...pity you guys will never see it :( I swear it's better than M though
  9. foles

foles Savant (375) Australia Jan 28, 2007

This is what the government wants. But where it fails is the good sensible folks stay at home and the dangerous bogans still go out and cause havoc!
  10. danieelol

I have often wondered how the sorts of people who go out in the city (bogans) can afford to go to the sorts of places in the city (overpriced dens of shit)
  11. Lukie

They drink their 30-40 buck cartons of macro swill, then go out already pissed off their chops, and keep going. But this thread isn't about the hypocrisy of the government in regards to the big boys and alcohol.

This is about Feral's new sour brewery... WATERMELON WARHEAD! WOO HOO! I'm going to drink a keg of it.
  12. danieelol

SO AM I...oh wait
  13. Went to Feral on Saturday and was rather surprised to find out that my wife who 'doesn't like beer' absolutely loved the Swanambic
    Lukie likes this.
  14. Lukie

Buy her heaps of lambic.
  15. How could it be excise if the alcohol percentages between say VB and JS Golden ale are relatively the same? Yet in reality you can pay $6 for the VB pint and $10 for JS...the difference comes down to the extra premium they charge on a JS keg and significantly that they produce more VB than JS so the costs are dramatically lower...
  16. danieelol

I agree with you, my post was intended as sarcasm. Excise is used as an excuse by certain brewers for high prices and sometimes low quality.
  17. Lukie

JS Golden is likely made with all malt. VB is likely made with 90% cane sugar.

And $6 pints? Where do these mythical places exist?
  18. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Happy Hour at the Flying Scotsman. $6 everything.

Also, congrats to all of us for cracking the 1000 viewed barrier in this thread.

P.S Lukie, it looks like I'm only getting 2 of the Watermelon kegs... I will let you know when I'm putting them on, but don't blame me if you don't get down in time to drink your whole keg.
  19. Lukie

I WILL BE THERE!!!!!