1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your rDev

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tobelerone, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Wondering how those tickers amongst us come out in their rDev numbers. I looked at mine and precisely half of my 616 reviews were either positive or neutral. I thought I was being overly critical or was on a bad run but I guess it's all evening out. How about you?

2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

239/407 either positive or neutral. I'm clearly responsible for my share of ratings inflation.

3. 1162/1934 are in the negative. I thought that I was a more positive reviewer.

4. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

around 560/860 are negative for me. most beers have pretty inflated ratings so i look at this like a good thing

aasher likes this.
  5. I don't have a whole lot of reviews, but most are negative. I think the ratings are a bit inflated as a whole.

6. tone77

tone77 Advocate (570) Pennsylvania May 20, 2009

My reviews came out pretty even. Out of 1,277 reviews:
    639 positive
    9 neutral
    629 negative

7. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Out of 745 reviews:
    341 positive
    8 with zero rdev
    396 negative

8. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

157 - positive (17.5%)
    20 - zeros (2.2%)
    715 - negative (80%)

I've been told I'm a dick.

chrisp450 and Brocklanders34 like this.
  9. Only 25 out of 86 reviews are positive for me. Ratings are certainly inflated.

10. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

How are you guys checking this btw, I can't seem to find it.

11. Never actually posted a review, just keep notes on my phone. I also like to think I'm a pretty "positive" reviewer

12. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,010) Michigan May 5, 2010

out of 798 reviews, I hit 0% rDev at 563. Damn I must enjoy beer too much or something ;)

Actually, when I first started reviewing I was much more positive about what I was drinking, and now I am much less lenient with the scoring. I usually think about the percentage now that it is a factor instead of letter grades (for example I might like the aromas/appearance etc, but will adjust a bit with the overall section)

In other cases, my scoring went way up. Like when I revisited Belgians I had when I had no fricking palate to appreciate them.

13. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Savant (460) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Out of 593 reviews:
    - 339 Negative
    - 248 Positive
    - 6 Neutral

14. 117 positive
    3 neutral
    344 negative

15. Go to the home page, click on your beers, click on rdev. It will arrange your reviews from highest positive to lowest negative rdev.

16. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

thx, I thought maybe there was some type of a counter or something didn't think everyone was going through them and doing it this way.

17. Roughly, 68% of my reviews came out below the median. I'm a grumpy beer drinker, what can I say?

Kyrojack likes this.
  18. No problem. I think most of us are just nerding out and counting them all!

19. Holland

Holland Savant (475) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

Out of 278 total reviews:

119 positive rdev
    9 zero
    160 negative

I expected to be either balanced or slightly positive. Even looking it up by date, I have fairly consistently been slightly negative.

20. You don't have to count them individually. Just arrange them by clicking rDev and look at the numbers that sort them at the bottom or top (1-50/51-100. etc.). That's how I did it; I saw that I hit negative numbers between 301-350, then just counted from there.

21. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Yikes

279 positive
    5 even
    110 negative

BUT I mainly now only choose good or better beers when buying to control my budget, so that may explain my positivity.

russpowell likes this.
  22. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Many more negatives than positives here. People on BA (apparently those not in this thread) love to review beer high, or we all hate beer.

23. I would think that the more beer one reviews, the less negative reviews you'll have, as you'll get smarter about what you buy and avoid lousy beer much of the time. That said I was offered Peroni, Yuengling, and Heineken Light this weekend at BBQ's and reviewed them all.

24. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

71/110 neutral or positive. I like beer too much :(

25. But we're talking about deviations from the average here. Better beers won't necessarily have higher rdevs. If anything, it should be more likely that your review will be negative for the highly rated ones since there is more room to underscore than overscore.

26. Yes good point. That occurred to me after I posted but I'm a bit slow on the uptake this morning. I attribute that to not drinking last night.

27. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Yeah, that makes total sense, hmmm.....I am guessing I overrate beers in general then.

crytion likes this.
  28. As mentioned it's hard to look at just the pluses and minuses, as its really the overall number that matters. I have not reviewed alot of beers but have negatives for both Duet and Parabola, both of which I loved. The negative is less than 1% on both. I would think BA should consider it neutral if you are within a plus or minus 5% range.

devilben02 likes this.
  29. Back when I was reviewing I figured that if I was within one Standard Deviation (I guess it's called pDev here) I was pretty much on the mark, and it happened quite a bit. There were bound to be outliers either way, of course, but those were where the community inexplicably got it wrong ;).

30. Out of 1541 reviews:

799 positive
    65 even (most of these I'm the only review, TICK TICK TICK)
    677 negative

Not TOO bad...

31. 45 positive
    4 neutral
    107 negative

Then again, I review pretty low (I think a 3.5 is quite good and a 4 is great, for example)

beertunes likes this.
  32. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Then again, I review pretty low (I think a 3.5 is quite good and a 4 is great, for example) I agree with this.

592/1482 Neutral or positive. I've got a lot of beers where I'm the only review. I also tend to grade lower in general than most reviewers it seems. I've had the same beers with other BA's, and we've had the same thoughts and liked the beer about the same, but in the reviews, they'll give it +/- 4 and I'll give it a +/- 3.5.

33. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

252 neg. rdev
    165 pos. rdev

Surprising, as I don't normally post reviews to beers I am certain I will never revisit. Thought it would be about the reverse of this.

34. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

483 positive (37%)
    19 no rDev (2%
    755 negative (61%)

Guess I'm grumpy & I'm OK with that. I'm amazed at what some very mediocre beer get for grades around here, but then again, I don't really care.

35. Tucquan

Tucquan Advocate (545) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2007

275 positive
    35 neutral
    386 negative

I would've guessed I was more positive than negative but I now see that I am not.

36. 723 positive
    58 nuetral
    867 negative

37. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

50 positive
    3 neutral
    170 negative

+27.7% for triple bock lol
    Two neutrals have one review, and the third is parabola.

38. 218 of 391 positive or neutral.

39. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

for beers I like I seem to be more favorable, for the ones I can tolerate I review to style guides and personal opinion and for the ones that I really don't like I'm not very nice. I try not to stray too much from rDev though unless I feel the beer deserves it. if it was blind it would be interesting to see how the rdev changes. especially for beers low on reviews where those first couple can really set other people's perceptions. I used to not grab beers without seeing the BA average if it wasn't about 85 or higher I would pass unless I was lacking alternatives.

40. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

15 positive
    1 neutral
    12 negative

I guess I'm par for the course.