1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your rDev

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tobelerone, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Let's be honest here people. The majority of craft beer is good. That means rating of 3 or higher.... I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe some of you are such beer snobs or overly critical about beer that you found more than 100 negative beers let alone 1,000. Wtf do you review? Adjunct and Euro Pale lagers? Seriously though, god damn, I bet you are the same guys that rate world cass beers with 1's and 2's...
    dar482 likes this.
  2. BlackNote

BlackNote Savant (345) Michigan Apr 5, 2013

70/93 are negative and try to be nice for styles I don't particularly like. Guess I'm too critical.
  3. Again, negative rDev does not mean that your review is bad, nor does it mean you didn't like it. It merely means your score was below the average score. This could mean you are overly critical, or it could mean you have a different grading scale/curve than others. Or, it could even mean that your tastes fall outside the status quo. Me personally, I rate based off of a 3 = average/okay scale, and I strive to be fair, but also represent my opinion accurately. A lot of people seem to be far more lenient in their scoring.

Edit: For instance, I gave Supplication a 4.11. A really good score, based off of my scoring system. However, that is still 10% under the average score, and thus has a negative rDev. On the flip side, I gave Fruit Crate's Pumkin beer a 3.13; an average score. And since my score is almost 24% above the average, it has a positive rDev.