Your Signature

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by nathanjohnson, Jun 22, 2012.

1. I use a bit of munich in nearly all of my beers.

What's your "signature" that shows up in most of your beers?

2. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Savant (460) Nevada Dec 4, 2008 Verified

US-05, table sugar and aromatic malt...depending on style...and lots of dank hops : )

3. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (585) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Pils as a base malt, even for English styles. It's easy enough to get in the ballpark with the right crystal or character malts and convenient to have a few sacks of just pils instead of pils, NA 2 row, pale ale, etc.

I put a little Munich in just about everything too.

4. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (450) New York Sep 1, 2004

Love.

goodonezach likes this.
  5. skivtjerry

I was a judge at the SA Longshot 'Cat 23' competition a couple of years ago... one brewer entered an ordinary pale ale with 'love' listed as a special ingredient. I couldn't help wondering if the brewer had done something disgusting with the kettle or carboy:eek:

6. jokelahoma

jokelahoma Savant (460) Missouri May 9, 2004

Looking cool fermentations with no secondary (except on huge beers with extended aging or lagers). Maybe no one else can taste it, but I can.

7. Oats...pale ales (american and english), belgians (especially saisons), dark beers, almost any style.

FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  8. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

A lack of carbonation and a flavor/aroma medley of nail polish like phenolics, dirty feet, and blue cheese.

9. koopa

koopa Champion (835) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

None. I try to maximize each style for what it's worth.

hiphopj5 likes this.
  10. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

you beat me to 3 parts cussing and 1 part praying.

11. BigAB

BigAB Aficionado (150) Iowa Aug 4, 2008

Weyermann specialty malts. The only beer I've done that didn't have a little Melanoidin or CaraHell malts (or both, for that matter) was my first Helles, in which I elected to pull a single decoction instead. I got a fever...and the only prescription is more full-rounded maltiness.

12. Pale ales with a smooth bitterness from FWH and big end-of-boil additions. Those have been my best received brews.

13. I got on a Pilsner Malt kick a couple years ago and haven't been able to shake it. I just brewed an Imperial Stout last weekend with Pilsner as the dominant base malt.

14. Interesting. I don't recall the base style, but I judged one of those, too.

15. DocT

DocT Aficionado (120) Idaho May 14, 2009

My signature beer itself "Platypus" it has a strong malty backbone of an amber ale, and a nose and refreshing citrus hop taste of a pale ale. The body of a beaver and the head of a duck.
    Other than that i sacrifice a neighbors pet to the beer gods every brew day.

16. MrOH

MrOH Advocate (500) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Long boil. I can taste the maillards underneath it all.

17. gtermi

gtermi Champion (795) Texas Apr 21, 2010 Subscriber

I always seem to use Citra hops in my hoppy beers. Those are my all time favorite hops

18. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

Can you send me a bottle of your straight lambic, it sounds really good.

barfdiggs likes this.
  19. jmw

jmw Savant (440) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Usually some measure of rye malt.
    Always a few drops of gorse extract (amount varies by style)

20. Almost all my beers, regardless of style, use Warminster Malting's Floor-Malted Maris Otter as the base and a handful of Torrified Wheat for body and head retention, with the exception of lighter beers, which use Weyerman Floor Malted Pils.

21. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (845) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009 Verified

Probably Maris Otter, which I generally use instead of plain old 2-row in just about any american/english style calling for 2-row/pale.

BigAB likes this.
  22. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (435) New York Dec 20, 2006

Unquestionable awesomeness.

23. If you ask my wife...money.

Just kidding, she's okay.:rolleyes:

hiphopj5 likes this.
  24. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Savant (430) Massachusetts Jan 6, 2010 Verified Subscriber

My brew buddy and I relieve ourselves in every batch. You should try our "You're In"® IPA.

25. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (450) New York Sep 1, 2004

methamphetamine.

go ahead and try it. you'll like it. this one is free.

26. skivtjerry

I thought BMC invented that years ago...

27. mrjimcat

mrjimcat Savant (250) New York Nov 22, 2002

I like to work in some flaked barley in many of my brews. Second would be some kind of sugar if only a pinch just cause.