1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your Top 10 Saisons

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Immortale25, Dec 7, 2012.

1. I do and it was still tasty at least.

2. Saison Brett
    Saison Rue
    Tank 7
    Clara
    Saison du Pelican (especially when drinking it at the brew pub on the beach)
    Saison Dupont

Mcal likes this.
  3. Yeah but it didn't have as much of the HiC Ecto-cooler flavor as the bottle I had 2-3 weeks earlier.

4. It was my first bottle so I guess I did miss out.

5. Give me Hill Farmstead, or give me death. The barrel aged ones obviously speak for themselves. Vera Mae is just a phenomenal beer, I'd drink it once a week if I could. And thrice a week in the summer. Anna and Arthur are so good.

The newest addition, Juicy, is probably in my top 2 of all time.

That's top 2 of all things ever, not just beer. It's #2 behind the evening of October 27, 2004.

6. Pretty Things Jack D'or.

RobCorriveau likes this.
  7. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

The style can rub me the wrong way sometimes, but when it's right it's so impressive. Personal favs:

Fantome Extra Sour Special Original Creation (probably the best saison I have had to date)
    Love Buzz Anchorage
    Brooklyn Sorachi Ace
    Hill Farmstead Flora
    Hill Farmstead Vera Mae
    Victory Helios
    Saison Dupont
    Saison Darkly Stillwater

cfrances33 likes this.
  8. Can't beleive nobody mentioned Funkwerks yet, they have some good ones too. Fantome to me is tops. I need to get some Hill Farmstead stuff.

poopinmybutt, Jwale73 and denver10 like this.
  9. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

Based on what others have said, I completely failed to mention Sofie, which is great fresh and ages extremely well. Oxbow also makes some really great stuff, and I'm glad that their kegs frequently make it down to DC.

drabmuh, cfrances33 and smakawhat like this.
  10. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

You cant be a serious saison fan without at least a nod to Fantome. Acquiring the standard Fantome saison is getting increasingly more tricky and the latest batches have some questionable characteristics. But if you can acquire a bottle of the classic Fantome saison with the "sur lie" label, your entire outlook on saisons will inevitably be altered.

Upright is awesome, Tired Hands is growing on me, Hill Farmstead... meh
    McKenzie's saison is nice, the barrel aged version is even better.

For some easily acquirable and fair priced saisons, get a couple 750's of southampton. There are a couple different ones but the old standard saison duluxe is good and hardly spoken about. Granted the Peconic is one of the best but it will be a tough bottle to pull considering its limited availability.

Dock Street isnt spoken about much but they won a silver medal at the GABF this year in the session ale category for their saison-like french collaboration. They have/had some other saisons in the past but that collab was a standout.

Edit, I went back over my reviews and I have 5 different Fantomes in my top 8 for the style with scores of 4.3 or higher. Some ones I forgot to mention: Duchessic, New Glarus imperial saison and Iron Hill's Oak Aged

jdamaso84, mcc1654 and yourefragile like this.
  11. Docrock

Docrock Savant (490) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Not in any order:
    Boulevard Brett
    Boulevard tank 7
    Ommegang Hennepin
    Saison de Silly
    Anything Fantome
    D'erpe Mere
    Bruery Saison de Lente
    Three Floyd's Zes Zes Zes

Fell in love this summer with Saison de Silly and Zes Zes Zes!

Mcal likes this.
  12. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (760) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

What happened then? This?

13. Thorpe429

The Iron Hill Oak-Aged is fantastic. That isn't one that comes immediately to mind, but I love it.

Finally, Stillwater is most certainly worth a shout out as well. I really enjoyed all of the barrel aged editions, especially when fresh, and many of the dry hopped versions of Brian's saisons that appears at bars in DC, Baltimore, and I'm sure elsewhere are fantastic. Out of the current offerings, I really enjoy Table Beer and Premium, and can't wait to see the latter canned.

14. I have not had too much experience with saisons but from what I have had before, this is a solid must try list:
    1. Grassroots Wachu Saison
    2. Saison DuPont
    3. Goose Island Sophie
    4. Fantome Saison d'Hiver
    5. Upright Fantasia
    6. Three Floyds Rabbid Rabbit
    7. Victory Helios
    8. McKenzie Saison Vauteur
    9. Tired Hands FarmHands
    10. Saison d'Erpe

15. smakawhat

Stillwater is one of those that I try to keep hidden under wraps... shhh.. don't tell anyone!!! :p

fmccormi likes this.
  16. Sante Adairius Bernice (with brett) and Anais (made with spelt) are both amazing. Could have something to do with them filling the void of great beer in Santa Cruz. Unfortunately mostly on tap only at the brewery and very limited hours.

Did a side by side of Bernice with Seiozen Bretta and it was a wash. Both dry and delicious, with thin brett mouthfeel, but drastically different taste.

Saison de Lente got me hooked.

17. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Cellar Door, especially when it's fresh enough that it still has some noticeable Citra character, is fantastic. If you like the sage character of that beer, then you might like Epic's Utah Sage Saison—I was very, very pleasantly surprised by that. F'in loved drinking that beer, to be honest.

cfrances33 likes this.
  18. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (760) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Let's be real, I just love saisons. Amazing how a beer I hated 6 months ago has easily become my favorite style.

Gosox8787, vurt and fmccormi like this.
  19. smakawhat

on the radar! All I have seen I think is the Straight Up. I will also throw in love for Sofie, The Jolly Pumpkin Bam type beers, and really like Cigar City's Dos Costas Oeste - Lemon Wood aged. I want to shove that beer up my nose rather than drink it (which works alright too by the way). ;)

fmccormi likes this.
  20. Thorpe429

I was thinking of this under Tired Hands given the collaboration, but this beer deserves a separate acknowledgement, as it is absolutely amazing.

21. lol, i kinda agree with tendermorsel about fantome's inconsistency, but think he's a bit harsh on american saisons overall. many do suck, and quite badly. but not enough to make such a generalization. maybe very early on in the craft days, back when ommegang hennepin was the only acceptable attempt available, but not anymore. anyway, dupont indeed remains the standard bearer, there's no escaping that. well... EXCEPT for the f_cking GODDAMNED GREEN BOTTLES!

22. jcdgoad

jcdgoad Aficionado (195) Arkansas Sep 11, 2008

Prairie Ale is one of the best Saisons I have had in a long time. It's being distributed by Shelton Brothers so it should be readily available soon.

23. fmccormi

Interesting, I had the orange wood aged version last night on cask. It was alright, but did not live up to the potential I thought it had (feel free to peruse my review of it for specifics).

24. Haha, nope...

10/27/04 was a much more spiritual, life-affirming event than that:

cfrances33 likes this.
  25. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Whenever there is a thread about the "best" beer/style, someone always posts the BA top list for that style, usually accompanied by a painfully bland snarky comment, and often ending with a carefully chosen emoticon. I just beat em to the punch. :cool:

Docrock likes this.
  26. equincel

equincel Aficionado (220) Ohio Jan 12, 2012

Bam biere, E.S. Bam, Weizen Bam from Jolly Pumpkin are all easy to find and are great.

27. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

So youre now the Asshole? Just needed to be clear on this. It is friday. ;)

Cheers!

28. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Sometimes you must become what you hate the most to defeat it.

MarkIntihar, Docrock and FosterJM like this.
  29. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

That was very deep. I think I might make a motivational poster of this for my office.

Cheers!

30. You gotta get a Saison from Pretty Things, they are the bomb. Jack D'hor, Fieldmouse Farewell, ect.

31. smakawhat

I dug Jack d'or also.. in fact I think I've found almost every Pretty Things beer I've ever tried really solid.

32. mocktm

mocktm Savant (375) Virginia Jan 3, 2011

Original Fantome... End of discussion

jdamaso84 and mcc1654 like this.
  33. Yeah maybe I was being a bit too harsh. You are right Hennepin was the only viable US option not so long ago. I just see Saisons as the new "trendy" beer around here. Throw some shit against the wall and hope it sticks. I guess I am just a traditionalist beer geek. I will say this... Some of the beers mentioned in this thread as the "best" are the gross ones I was talking about:) To each his own.

I know we have had many a debate about those green bottles hombre! lol SKUNKY DUPONT!

34. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Savant (275) Ohio Oct 18, 2010

Fantome Extra Sour Special Original Creation
    Fantome Ete
    Fantome Saison
    Hill Farmstead Art/Arthur
    Hill Farmstead Flora
    Hill Farmstead Vera Mae
    Hill Farmstead Anna
    Logsdon Seizoen Bretta
    Boulevard Saison Brett
    Anchorage Love Buzz

Fantome and HF are killing the #saisongame

Mcal and Thorpe429 like this.
  35. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (410) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I hear a lot discussion as to whether the sour HF saisons (or sour saisons in general) should really be considered saisons.

Some people like to look at them as hybrids since they don't really fit the typical saison profile even if you can taste the saison yeast a little bit in the back end. I notice a group of people that only like these new sour saisons and don't really care for the typical saison.

fmccormi likes this.
  36. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

They don't get the hype that HF and the like get, but Funkwerks' Saison won the gold at GABF and is mighty tasty.
    Tropic King is also legit.

poopinmybutt, denver10 and fmccormi like this.
  37. Most of HF's beers have questionable designations - regardless they are tasty.

My vote goes to the classic Saison Dupont (when you get a bottle that hasn't spoiled).

Docrock likes this.
  38. fmccormi

That's an interesting point; personally I think it's fine to consider them saisons, just not a classic example. But you're right, seems like there are folks who think saison = brett, and brett = sour—neither of which are true.

39. fmccormi

I've heard a lot of good things about Funkwerks, I just wish they could distribute a little more broadly!

40. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Some pretty great ones on your guys' lists. The saison I buy the most, and really enjoy is Tank 7 from boulevard. I also really enjoy Tropic King from Funkwerks, which I havent' seen mentioned yet. Whenever I can find Fantome stuff I try to try new ones... So far my favorite has been the Noel. I recently had Hiver, and it was pretty good, but not my favorite.