1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your worst beer experience

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 7, 2013.

1. I was in Bruges, Belgium in 2007. I was 23 and just really getting into craft, and simply good beers.

So there I was, in the bar of my hostel and throwing back beer after beer from different breweries and of different styles that I truly didn't understand yet, but I knew that I liked them over the swill that I had been drinking since I was a wee lad. While drinking, the bartender even informed me after ordering a certain beer that he didn't have the 'proper glassware' to put it in because they were all dirty. I've never heard of such wonders before! At one point in my life, a Pyramid tumbler would have been fine, but not anymore after I finally came up!

So after drinking copious amounts of great beer and tipping the bartender handsomely (and also rocking out to The Stooges), he then uttered those fateful words to me: "I have this beer that I can only sell two of a day. If you want, I'll save one for you tomorrow morning." Hell yeah, it's on! I thought.

And then I woke up with the worst hangover ever. I stumbled out of my room and to the bar, "Water, please..." "Hey man, here's that beer for you," the bartender proclaimed. I could barely mutter a "No... No thank you." And then I slouched over in the corner for a while before finally leaving and taking a train back to Paris.

To this day, I will never forget the way that the bartender looked at me after I turned down my one and only chance I have ever had at drinking a Westvleteren XII.
  2. Thinking Ruination IPA would be an excellent beginners IPA. Yeah.. That was my worst beer experience.
  3. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

OP: Ouch.

I'd have to say mine was that Night Stalker I had on Saturday night...just absolutely putrid to me...then there was that gruit someone poured me at a tasting that same afternoon...it reminded me of that one time I accidentally took a big mouthful off of a 40 bottle that I had apparently pissed in...the good ole' days...so yeah...the NS sucked...and the gruit sucked...but the piss 40 is clearly the worst...though not by much.
    Bond111, ramptonia and Leaf_hound like this.
  4. Probably that first night of junior year in college when I passed out on the bathroom floor of my apartment. Or that time I pissed myself in my sleep on my girlfriends couch in college. Played it off like a boss though. Or at least I thought I did... Oh, college...
    Packlifenc, JxExM, TKEbeerman and 3 others like this.
  5. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

This is a no-brainer for me. I drank a LaFollie and was almost immediately incapacitated by chest pain followed by my throat nearly swelling shut on the way to the ER. Needless to say, sour beers do not interest me at all.
    jcos, utopiajane, Alembician and 2 others like this.
  6. Drinking ice cold Big Foot at a frat party in 2006. What happened next wasn't fun.

But my buddy who I split the case with gave me the rest of his half after having the same episode, and I have 4 left to this day which drink great btw
    thecheapies likes this.
  7. Edward 40 hands with Miller Lite and Olde English. Bad move.

But on the craft level.....when I was just getting into beer that wasn't Rolling Rock, I grabbed a six pack of Bigfoot because I thought "the label was cool." I proceeded to drink three of them straight from the bottle. I went to stand up and was like, "What the fuck? How strong are these beers?" I saw the abv on the label. Live and learn.
  8. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

It was in a pink bottle.
  9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

One time I tried moose drool. I almost swore off beer.
  10. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

OP: Dude, it's just Westvleteren. It's not that great. I'm fresh out at the moment but I'll probably get some more soon. When I do, I'll send it to a trading partner and he'll probably get it to you. And no, I'm not kidding.

The worst beer experience I ever had, was either a Floris Chocolat or Southern Tier Creme Brulee. Especially from the latter I can't possibly understand how it gets even decent ratings. How badly destroyed is your palate by additives and chemicals if you think that's what a vanilla dessert even remotely smells like? BCVS now, THAT's vanilla.

Related, the worst beer disappointment I ever had was a Westvleteren 12. In Belgium you're pretty much born and bred with the idea that Westy 12 is the best beer in the world, the hype is enormous. When I finally saw it on a menu for €10 ($12) a glass, I didn't give it a second thought and ordered it. When I finally did drink it, I was like "this can't possibly be the best beer in the world".

I started Googling that night, and here I am three years later. Cellar full, wallet empty.
  11. I was in Hungary. Specifically a small town outside of Budapest. I was making the rounds down along the Danube when I happened into a small dive bar that had the strange blue lighting of a weird night club. This place was really small, and pitiful would hardly describe the selection. Basically it was just a small cooler stocked with a few random beverages. I noticed a plain silver can with the word BEER written on it, and I ordered that. If I remember correctly, it only cost about fifteen cents in American dollars. I examined the can. There was very little writing on it, in an unrecognizable language, except for the big bold word BEER.

This 'beer' was without a single doubt the worst beer or even beverage I have ever had. It tasted like someone had made Natural Light by substituting hairspray instead of alcohol.

I still genuinely regret not saving that can, as it is impossible to locate any information on a beer that is simply called 'beer'. Honestly, try it, if you can manage an image or link I can guarantee you good fortune for the rest of your days.
  12. Drank my Founders CBH while I was highly intoxicated at my birthday party. I remember it tasting good but when I woke up I freaked out that my buddy talked me into busting it out. ISO:CBH
    loweball727 and beerophilia like this.
  13. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

I once had to stop drinking '83 dirty horse because it tapped, and I only could drink '96 iris and framboos. Totally sucked.
    luwak, njhopspop and Dennoman like this.
  14. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

freaktober

the first time i spit beer out of my mouth
  15. Please. :)
  16. Happened to e just a few months ago at The Publican in Chicago. I was in town on business and really wanted to experience this place. It's a unique atmosphere and if you're not fortunate to be sitting at one of the tables you're standing at bar height tables (with no chairs), and being by myself, I was put at a table with three other people who were there together and I didn't know them which is no big deal. Perusing the menu I saw they had Zombie Dust on tap so that was going to be a no brainer, fist pump! The other three people weren't interested in starting a conversation, no big deal, that's all good. After I was there for 10 minutes the waitress stopped by to take an order for another round from the three, she ignored me and walked away. O-kayyyyy. Another 5 minutes passed and she brought the other folks their next round of beer and walked away ignoring me again. At that point I was getting pissed, I purposely didn't try to get her attention to see how long this would go and was trying to make eye contact, nothing. I stood there for another 10 minutes, nothing. After 20+ minutes of standing there being ignored I walked out and let the hostess know what happened. I should have talked to the manager instead because it was really annoying. I shouldn't have to and won't beg someone to serve me a beer and damn straight I wouldn't leave a tip if they did. So I get dumped back at the hotel with no beer and $30 in the hole. Bad service isn't so out of the ordinary but this was by the worst I've ever experienced. I'll never return to The Publican ifI'm in town, I'll go to the Hop Leaf or Map Room instead. Screw it.
    Bond111 and Pecan like this.
  17. Oh god... I've drank rust that tasted better.
    Picodegallo87 likes this.
  18. My internet searching skills have grown up since I last tried. It is made by Browar Van Pur out of Poland. If you see this thing, run...

[​IMG]
  19. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

I was kidnapped by Serbians, molested and forced to drink Bud lite. Top that bichez ;)
    RaphaelSC likes this.
  20. I take mine back. It was drinking this warm snake juice on a train: [​IMG]
  21. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Easy. I was kidnapped by Megan Fox, molested and forced to drink SA Triple Bock.
  22. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Does my ex-wife count? 90% of all children are alcohol related incidents...Gotta be the Steel Reserve I drank - I think throwing it up made it taste better....
    fredmugs, jglowe77 and icefisherman like this.
  23. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Hair Of The Dog Adam, enclosed is my review. Although some have argued I may have a bad batch. Whatever the case was, this was such a horrible experience I had to keep it memory.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/173/945/?ba=Derranged

Batch # 80, 12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Dark brownish black with a HUGE light brown head. This was a very live beer, the head stuck around for a while.

S- A bit harsh at first but then weakens. Very complex aroma of heavy booze, raisins, leather, and chocolate.

T- Harsh. Very boozy with a leather-like smoky chemical-solvent kerosene flavor, backed up by faint chocolaty raisins. Strange bitter after taste. Its 10% abv but this thing drank more like a 20. I was literally sweating after a few sips.

M- Very thick and syrupy with low carbonation. Lips numb.

O- Couldn't finish. This beer just didn't work for me at all. The tasted faded a bit as I drank more but still, not good. Every sip was a chore. I had to pour it out which I really do not like doing. Undrinkable.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 08-16-2011 03:00:06 | More by Derranged

--
    Dope likes this.
  24. I spent 4 months in Philly not really understanding the greatness of US craft beers. I was all about Trappist ales at the time (beginner from Europe..). I ended up drinking cases of Flying Dog.

Also, I found DHVL exceptionally closed on my only trip to Belgium, oh well.
  25. I brought one back as a novelty and regretted it so hard!
    RaulMondesi likes this.
  26. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (260) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

Spring 2011, I was in Indianapolis and found a bar selling Dreadnaught bombers for like $11. First time I'd tried it. It was so good and seemed so cheap. I was just getting into DIPA's at the time.
    I normally can do math in my head , but somehow the 9.5% times 22oz, I might have moved a decimal point or something.
    In effect I mistook it for a session beer. Ouch!!!!
  27. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (530) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

I'm sure he was a happy bartender as I believe tipping is included in the bill (service) in Belgium. :)

I could be completely wrong, perhaps jesskidden or one of our Belgian BA's will check-in!

If only there was someone on this forum with a strong opinion regarding tipping?? :D Especially tipping in Europe!:eek:

I sense a disturbance in the force, as if an Englishman living in the American south was violently screaming out, but then was suddenly silenced! :p
  28. Prolly gotta be old shunky as hell peroni half a bottle of tobasco it was drinkable just a little
  29. Yeah, I remember that night that tipping was at a minimum (from other patrons). It wasn't like you wrote it in when you got your check, or even left a euro or two on the bar after he gave you a beer. The was large golden metal vase that I'd throw a Euro dollar coin in or two after every beer. Needless to say, my brother and I got the best service.
  30. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

3 notable experiences come to mind, all examples of me making terrible decisions:

1) double fisting Fosters oil cans at a bar freshman year of college...all night
    2) drinking Steel Reserve high gravity 40's at 8am tailgating a football game after being out drinking until 3am the night before...also in college
    3) last year we held a Terrible Tallboy contest. I won with a Bud Light Clamato. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy
  31. Easy. Nothing else comes close to the pain, blues and agony of Budweiser Clamato.
  32. beergoot

beergoot Advocate (570) Colorado Oct 11, 2010

Only be able to drink "near-beer" while stationed at Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudia Arabia for three months...
    luwak likes this.
  33. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Back in 1995, when I was 14, I drank two forties and a 22oz of Colt 45 in the morning then had a yoohoo afterwards. I puked out everything. The taste of artificial chocolate comin back up is awfully bitter :eek:
    luwak and offthelevel_bytheplumb like this.
  34. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Smelling a bottle of beer from 1902 and not getting the chance to taste it.:(
  35. larryi86

larryi86 Champion (760) Delaware Apr 4, 2010

I tried to drink Wild Blue once, I think I got through 3 oz., it was really bad.
  36. SA Triple Bock, nothing else even comes close.
  37. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Nope, you're right. Service charge is included so technically there's no obligation to tip. Everyone seems to have their own truth when it comes to tipping here. I usually tip at a bar when service was satisfactory, except at places where I'm a regular and the staff knows me. I feel no need to reinforce the fact they do a good job through constant tipping, the fact I keep returning should be plenty confirmation of that.
    BobZ likes this.
  38. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

There was also the piss warm Budweiser 30-pack I drank with my brother and my friend one morning at Woodstock '99...followed by a bottle of even warmer peach schnapps.....that was a very strange morning...weed...nitrous... ecstasy...peyote...some dude gettin' head like 10 feet away.....met me a girl named Angel...and she weren't no angel, I tell you what.
    luwak, Bond111, Modernrickk and 7 others like this.
  39. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (635) Florida Feb 16, 2012

A Schlitz recently cooked in the oven at 350 degrees for our college baseball team's "rookie night" my freshman year.

New Holland's El Mole Ocho is a close second.
  40. [​IMG]
    they should have sold this with a bar of soap to wash out your mouth after