1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your worst beer experience

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Israeli beer. If Judah Maccabee found out his legacy lives on in Maccabee Lager, maybe he would have just used that oil to fry some chicken instead. Yeesh.

2. I was at the alchemist once last spring...I had a fresh Heady Topper...came right off the canning line.

Bad...bad...bad...

Never again!

3. BergBeer

BergBeer Savant (265) Rhode Island Aug 21, 2013

Pulled into South Korea on deployment. Decided to try the local beer Hite. Never. Again.

Low and Slow by Monkey Paw. Bacon bits left in a pint glass full of water are my tasting notes.

4. Cave Creek Chili beer. It was cold, yet smelled like warm garbage. A true paradox.

5. Haha, I lived literally right down the street from Morison's (if it's the place I remember that had sort of a British expatriate vibe and a big red English phone booth out front) although I never went in there. If there's one thing I learned to appreciate from beer starved countries in the world it would be an appreciation for an actual good lager. I remember getting a fresh bottle of Pilsner Urquell after months of drinking nothing but the domestic swill and I'll never forget how nuanced I found the flavor to be. Then when I landed back in NYC I had a Boston Lager that tasted almost as hoppy as a pale ale.

6. HookerBrews

HookerBrews Savant (305) Oregon Sep 24, 2013

The day after I got back the first things I bought were a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee and a bomber of Boston Lager. Needed the most American things I could think of.

7. Firestone walker double DBA (idk why because I though I was going to love it). Some German granitbock beer (probably the reason I hated the DBA and brewey bois). And ghost face killah!!!! Used most of that bottle in the steak marinade I was making that day

8. I was drinking a Double Dose out of one of my favorite glasses. The top half shattered, leaving me unscathed, but sending broken glass into the beer. Thought about getting a strainer from the kitchen...

9. Opening up a growler fill of Breakfast Stout to find some thin, brown, sour, flat liquid in place of beer. Turns out the filling station didn't train their employees on how to properly use their fancy counter-pressure filling station. AND it would appear that they also a) left beer in the lines from a fill the night before (I was the first one in that morning) or b) left cleaning solution in the lines. Less than pleasant reaction from the owner when I let him know. I was just ticked off because I really wanted some Breakfast Stout.

10. Worst was also the first. A warm budweiser on a rough truck ride in the middle of nowhere. It tasted so bad. I would still have that same opinion of warm budweiser even though ten years later I have learned to love beer. It was really only up from there.

11. Rewind to November 2013 -- new house, new fridge, "I'm going to celebrate" I said, and I packed the fridge out with beer and decided to put the bombers/22s in the shelf in the door because of their height. Drank one and went about business. Open the fridge the next time, the shelf holding the bombers collapses, breaking 4 of the 12 or so bombers I had on it. Broken glass and beer everywhere. It was awful.

Lesson learned, raise the shelves in your fridge to accommodate bombers/tall bottles and don't put 12 bombers at the same time in the plastic trays of one shelf in the door! sighhhhhhhhhh

12. Not to bad but I had Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier out of the bottle because I had no idea how good it was suppose to be. I was young and stupid and have obviously had it since

utopiajane likes this.
  13. radagascar

radagascar Disciple (50) Illinois Jul 14, 2011

I bought Avery's Maharaja with a label of December 2012 on it. I took 3 swigs and poured it. Never had such a boozy beer in my life. Undrinkable and disgusting.