1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your worst beer experience

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Hosted a Quadrupel tasting where we had a three year vertical of Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw, some vintage Old Horizontal, and a couple years of St. Bernardus in the 750ml size. The tasting consisted of three people... Sometime around 10pm I realized that no food (solid anyway) was going to be ordered/ingested as no one seemed to care by this point. So, I had the brilliant idea that I would just sip on some more quads to fill that void and I should be fine right? Wrong...(Insert puking session while sleeping here) Thankfully I instinctively sleep on my side.

I woke up the next morning and decided to do a six mile run with my friend who slept over. We finished in little under an hour and then my body just collapsed. I puked up what appeared to be pure alcohol, and then proceeded to dry heave for the next hour. I went to drive to get breakfast shortly after and I couldn't even touch the food. Getting back to the car was miserable, and it took a good five minutes to convince myself that if I got out of my car (after I arrived home) that I would be able to get back in. Oh, and I had work that day... And the person I drank with was my manager so I couldn't really call in sick.

In a word, horrible.
    luwak, jcos, Mitchster and 1 other person like this.
  2. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

I believe I've told this story on the board but when Surly Syx was released, I got a few bottles and I sat down to relax with a bottle and needless to say, I was blind drunk passed out between my couch and the wall. I had no idea how I ended up there but when my wife got home, she said I was face down on the carpet. She tried to wake me up and couldn't. She dragged me halfway down the hall and left me there. I woke up in my bed and wondering how I got there and who hit me with their vehicle. She said I tried to get frisky and play with my son and she wouldn't let me. To this day, I do not remember what Syx tastes like....
  3. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Pass out drunk from a 15% bomber? The tasting we had last weekend would have probably spelled acute liver failure for you then :p
    RaulMondesi likes this.
  4. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Yeah, I hit er' pretty hard that day. I had zero sleep from the night before and drained it on an empty stomach....
  5. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Many, many, many years ago I bought an Iron City Light (yes light) for my friend as a joke. We tried it for the heck of it and nearly threw up. As bad as it gets.
    Ozzylizard likes this.
  6. Joining "The Bicentennial Club" in college. 1 shot of beer per minute for 200 minutes (sounds easy, right?). Rules allow you to piss twice and puke once. Used up my allowance of both in the first 100 minutes but I think I made it.
  7. It's a toss up between Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale and Southern Tier Creme Brûlée. Both were unpalatable and foist their way down the drain along with my money.
    Ozzylizard and Andrew61923 like this.
  8. This was roughly 20 years ago, before i knew better...My night started out drinking Heinekens and then somehow moved on to drinking a vile combination of Southern Comfort and Ouzo. Needless to say the vomiting was unbelievably horrid and painful, no flu or stomach virus I have had since has come close to it. The foul combination of anise/licorice and skunky beer with the whiskey and whatever else is in SoCo and the pizza with everything on it coming back up still haunts me to this day.
    I haven't had any of those to drink since.
    kerry4porters likes this.
  9. I was at FFF brewpub and a guy who worked there assured me that their "beer" called bullyguppy was the real deal. It was the day it was released so I took his word for it and walked out with a $25 bomber of this "beer." The poison in that bottle tasted like piss mixed with acetone. Its a shame that a respected brewery like that would put their name on this liquid. Nail polish remover would have been more appetizing.
    Spinaltapped and MPLSbrewer like this.
  10. I would still rather drink liquid maple bacon bar than a bud light.
    luwak and jcos like this.
  11. Just read through the reviews. I almost want to be ISO just to see how bad it actually is... amazing
  12. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

Wow, that's a tough one. Bud Lite or Voodoo Donut. Should that be it's own thread?
    RaulMondesi likes this.
  13. I have had quite a few bad beers but I went to the Pikes Place Brewery in Seattle, WA. I decided to get there sampler. Out of 7 beer samples only one of them didnt taste like popcorn butter or fruit loops... I think someone realy needs to look into there fermentation process, or I was just there on a realy bad day. Ether way I couldnt take much more then a sip from those sample cups.
  14. SGToliver

SGToliver Savant (325) Washington Nov 22, 2012

The Belgian Rye Angle at The Hideout in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It was so awful that I took three sips to give it a try and then handed it back to the bartender. I was then given another not so great beer that was hazelnut flavored. I then got the stomach flu and had to experience both beers for a second time.....
  15. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

actually had a very bad one this week. blue point oatmeal stout. Don't know if it skunked before I purchased it, but it was bitter, watery, and had an off-putting flavor reminiscent of coconut/suntan lotion.
  16. Omensetter

Omensetter Savant (270) Minnesota Nov 24, 2012

When I was 19 I found out that Cave Creek Chili Beer is as spicy on the way back up as it was going down.
  17. Manoftyr

Manoftyr Savant (270) New York May 6, 2009

I was down on the south shore of Long Island at my usual hangout spot, they had Mad Elf on tap and were serving it to me in a Chimay goblet. I recall having 8 of them but I'm told I had 12, woke up the next morning with a hangover so bad I suspect I may have been suffering from minor alcohol poisoning, I was completely immobile and every single fiber of my body hurt, the headache was indescribable.

Took eighteen hours and lots of water, but I came around.
    kerry4porters and Dizbro21 like this.
  18. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Thats hardcore. Never quite did that, but I remember even as late as 2008 I'd go on quasi binges. Such as one Friday staying out drinking till 6am (of course winding up with neighborhood "pass around" girl). Getting about 3 hours of sleep because I had to help my dad out with something, then starting to drink again from 4:00 in the afternoon till 3:00 in the morning.
  19. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Probably when backfat pissed all over my sleeping bag at Darkness Day...in the middle of the afternoon....
    luwak, kerry4porters and crushedvol like this.
  20. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Yeah that was some harsh acid fire.
  21. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Man that does sound shitty. I like the one about how the nail polish remover smell fades...awesome
  22. raffels

raffels Savant (255) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

I've been wondering how long it would take before someone broached that particular subject...
  23. Beer? Sam Adams Triple Bock. 1997 vintage. Experience? "Drinking" that "beer".
    luwak and devlishdamsel like this.
  24. Widmere's pickly pear braggot. Its a long story but i ended up losing a 150 dollar pair of shoes, and the horrid after taste lingered for well over a day.
    luwak likes this.
  25. patpbr

patpbr Savant (385) Ohio May 25, 2005

I once drank warm old Milwaukee while playing beer pong in Flint, Michigan. I started looking into craft beer in the years that followed.
  26. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (395) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

Ever here of St Ides? Apparently it doesn't age well. Approximately 3 years old in my parents garage we found this 40 oz w chunks floating in it. Definitely a funkdified 40 if I ever seen one and the grossest thing I've seen a human ingest before I was conne into watching two girls one cup but anyhow my friend was dared to drink just a sip of it. When he opened it, it smelled vile but still ha some beer like scent in there but smelling it alone almost made me vomit. mind you he was already drunk. He drank a solid 10 oz out of it an said " it's not bad" turned around and puked all over my parents garage. I tried to clean it up and there I was puking in puke that smelled sooooo baaaddddd. Luckily I grew out of that stage a long time ago ... No Not doing dumb stuff but not drinking shyte beer.
    luwak likes this.
  27. Lets just say needing stitches in my eye brow after trying to fight a drunk punk rocker or grtting jumped by a group of bros made me stop getting wasted. Craft beer made me sip and prob saved my life
    kabritz and mychalg9 like this.
  28. [​IMG]

i could lie and say i lost a bet.
  29. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I had a grain belt years ago, 2008ish, and it had a bad interaction with my medication I'm on and I was tripping out like crazy - all off of one bottle that I had nursed for 3 hours (because it tasted like shit). Super paranoid, everything was moving fast and scared the shit out of me. Hallucinating. Just a bad deal.
  30. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (475) Florida May 29, 2011

Beer festival in early 2012 in the Tampa area, think that narrows it down enough. I was going to meet up with a beer guy I was acquaintance to & his friends whom had a hotel room. I'd never met his friends and hardly knew him. Got pretty drunk at the fest through out the day thinking I'm ok to drink checked in to split a hotel room with these 3+ people. Immediately following the acquisition of said "acquaintance's" allotted rare beer, he tells me his wife needs him home (which is 2+ hr drive) and he's leaving. I'm left with random strangers whom I only knew through him in a shared hotel room which I already paid for. I did not spend the night & was not offered my money back when I notified them I wasn't staying. 2:15 min drunk drive home by myself and short $30 for a hotel room I never slept in. Shitty experience. Guess I shouldn't complain though, the beer was good.. the people, not so much.
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  31. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

August 30, 1980. Not 100% beer... I was a co op student working for the fisheries department. Drinking age was 18 at the time, so me drinking wasn't unusual. My 21st birthday was the day before, I had gotten my first 4.0 semester in college, and was living on my own. Between coworkers and fishermen, I don't think I spent five bucks all night, and if I had it should have been on food. Shots of scotch followed by bottles of beer were endless...no clue how much alcohol I drank. I was doing pretty well with a young lady named Rhonda (a coworkers sister) until I asked her if she was wearing stockings (she wasn't) and my head slammed into the table, out cold and not because of a right hook from Rhonda... Next thing I remember is sitting on the sidewalk heaving, my drunk but not unconscious boss holding me up out of the gutter. No idea how, but he got me home on foot, poured me in to my bed. I spent the next three days worshipping the porcelain god, praying for the room to stop spinning, and the shakes to cease. Right to the point of alcohol poisoning, I reckon, and very lucky to be here to tell the tale. Wasn't the first episode of overindulgence, but certainly the worst and the last.
    ummswimmin likes this.
  32. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Honestly, that's a little weird because although that is alot of strong ass beer, it's really about the same amount of alcohol as a bottle of strongish California wine, like a Zin.
  33. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Last year at a tasting event I had my first sour. Somebody should have prepared me.
    jcos likes this.
  34. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

You gotta get the mango version. Or American Light as i posted in another thread which is the cheaper option.

PS Dont tell that to anyone in Pittsburgh at a Pens game.
  35. Lionshead. Just, Lionshead. I think you could make a mixture of rusty tap water and my wife's period and it would taste less metallic.
    kerry4porters likes this.
  36. Yeah, this stuff too. Take everything I just said about Lionshead and apply it thusly.
  37. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Worst experience ever, all because of customer service...

Went to Papago brewery/bottle shop in Phoenix a few years back. I had heard a lot of great things about the selection there and was taking a co-worker and his wife out to celebrate his (I think) 40th wedding anniversary. He was really interested in craft, but had never really branched out on styles.

The selection certainly held up to my expectations, going in I see a bunch of favorites and a lot of things I'd been wanting to try. So I specifically asked the bartender if I can open the bottles here. "Sure, there's a bottle opening fee though." Yep, no problem. So I get rolling on picking out beers. I end up getting 5 beers to try and share with my co-worker and his wife.

As I'm checking out, I pick the first one out and say let the guy know this will be the first one we want to open and I make sure it's no problem to open the others as we go on. "Yeah, of course, just bring it up and pay the bottle fee and you're covered!" Before I pay, the guy goes "If you want to grab another one, there is a discount on a mix-your-six." Heck yeah, I'm in. I gladly go pick another one up. Then I pay, take the beer to the table, and pour the tasters of the first beer. Can't remember which one it was, but I do remember it was well received. Time for the next!

I take the next bottle up to the bar and cheerfully tell the bartender we're all set for the next. The lady now tending the bar says to me "We can't open that for you." What? Why not? "You got the six pack discount." I point out that I had already talked to the other bartender and he suggested I do the discount knowing my intentions and that I had already had one opened for me. "It doesn't matter, we can't open those for you. You'll have to buy something else if you want to drink it here." Ok... well how about I just pay the difference of the discount so I can then give you more money to let me drink my own beer here. "We don't take returns on beer." I was so confused by her stance at this point because I am standing there literally trying to give her money so that I can drink the beer I already own. I mean, the only expenses they would incur to take my ~$20 is cleaning a few extra glasses. I explain that I don't want to return the beer, but simply want to remove the discount and pay full price. She refuses and again tells me if I want to drink there, I need to buy some other beer.

I was furious. I walked back to the table and asked my friends if they wanted to go somewhere else. We had also planned on staying for a couple pizzas as well, so that sale was also lost. Instead of going there 2-4 times per month, I didn't go back for 3 years until a friend's birthday and he asked me to meet him and was there. I went in for one beer.

Sadly, I really like some of the beer brewed there (drank at O.H.S.O. when tasting from friends' glasses) but am EXTREMELY sensitive to customer service. It's not that hard to treat someone right. And I don't mean right as in stellar, amazing experience, I just mean decent enough that I feel like people aren't actively trying to ruin my evening.

Sidenote: I mentioned O.H.S.O. in a thread of bad experiences, but I have NEVER had a bad experience there. Check that place out if you're in Phoenix and haven't been. Great beer, great food, AND great staff have made it a staple for me when I'm around.
    jcos, kerry4porters and WoodburyMN like this.
  38. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

Worst experience was this past 4 elf party at dark horse. Those guys have absolutely no idea how to run an event. It seems like the just jumbled it together the night before. 12 hours of waiting in line, Impossible to even get a beer and then they tell you that what you came for is out. If they weren't expecting as many people I would have them rather cut allotments in half like kbs than making me wait for 12 hours in line. Anyways they acted horribly to receiving any criticism. It was like talking to a 12 year old girl. They have a lot of growing up to do. I'd hate to see them go cause they can make good beer, they just have no idea how to manage and run things.
  39. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

They made you wait in line for 12 hours? Or did you choose to wait in line for 12 hours?
  40. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

there was no other option, no direction, just wait in line for the beer. I tried to leave to grab a beer and had to wait another hour. poorly organized and a poor use of space and time. Horrible horrible management skills. I would hate to see their accounting department...