1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your worst beer experience

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

True, even without food I think I'd have to chug it before getting really drunk, leave alone passing out. 22 oz of a 15% beer is basically 6 run-of-the-mill lagers here.

2. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (335) Florida Jan 26, 2012

green flash palete wrecker. that beer DESTROYED my taste buds for 2 days

fox227 likes this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Easily the bottle of '95 SA Triple Bock we recently opened at a small tasting. If death had a taste this would be it.

Other than that I did miss a Cantillon Classic Gueuze keg at a Sours event that was taken off so they could sell some other beer through before putting it back on.

"Can I have a glass of Cantillon?"
    "No, but as soon as ______ keg kicks we'll be putting it back on"
    *cries*

4. WebGuyMike

WebGuyMike Savant (395) Florida Dec 5, 2012

I was at a festival concert in Jacksonville (PlanetFest 4 - 2003) where Staind, Yellowcard, Shinedown, Sevendust, etc... were the featured acts. Me and my little brother both worked for the radio station that was hosting the event so I had access to free beer (by beer I mean alcoholic water like Bud & Bud Light).

Hot sun plus about 20 cups of beer equals me curled up in the grass near the porta-potties wishing the earth would stop spinning. I had a buddy drive me home before Staind played.

craftabrew407 likes this.
  5. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

My first IPA was a Torpedo...I thought it was "spoiled" or some such thing.

6. I still remember the day I popped a skunked Short's "Uber Goober." I'm scarred for life.

7. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

Day. Um.

8. Genesee "Red Eye" in the long tall case box of yesteryear
    Didnt get sick but could not drink a beer for at least a year afterwards
    Was probably 14 or so at the time..

9. There was this bar that had wild blue on special for $1. This was before I was INTO craft but I always liked trying new beers. The abv and price tag me and my friend would drink quite a few a night and where at the bar at least 3 nights a week. We drank so much they took it off special. I didn't think it was that horrible, maybe ill try it again.

10. I was in Portland on business (first time there) and was wandering around downtown looking for Deschutes brewpub. Unfortunately I stumbled upon Rogue first and decided to grab dinner and drinks there. Now I understand the issues people have with them on this site. What a disappointing experience - indifferent service, average beers, and a general lack of atmosphere. Bartender was relatively unfriendly and you just got a negative vibe from the people working there. Never again will I patronize this brewery (also considering how overpriced they are).

kmatlack likes this.

11. 3)-Theres been a Bud Light Clamato Tall boy in my fridge for well over a year now....one of these days.

12. Why did you wait in line for 12 hours for beer?

jcos likes this.
  13. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

I imagine having to listen to all of those bands was an equally horrible experience.

luwak, cultclassic89, dedbeer and 4 others like this.
  14. egy

egy Zealot (90) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2008

Moving to UT. Just Kidding.

I was a Junior in college, my buddies and I would frequent this beer bar that served beer tubes, and good beer. We decided one night we'd each get our our own DFH 60min beer tube and somehow over the course of finishing out respective tubes our list of beers grew to include 2 DFH 90mins and a few other randoms. Like I said we'd go to this bar a lot and were rather friendly with the bar tenders. The bar tender said he'd accidentally opened up a few DHF 90's for a group that wanted something else. He dropped them off at our table instead and such was start to double fisting bottles and a tube. Was great that night, but made for a rough morning.

In a slightly different regard, that same year my roommate and I had just gotten into our groove of home brewing. We had an Irish Stout, that had just fished in the secondary, patiently resting several weeks over smoked peat moss, and we were really excited about it. As I started cleaning bottles and getting the kitchen ready for it's transformation into our brewery's bottling room and my roommate disappeared into the cellar to fetch the carboy. I heard a loud crash and peering down the stairs I saw a sea of stout wash over our basement. 5 gallons of dark stout and shattered 6 gallon carboy makes for one heck of mess. Several hours later after all the glass was picked up, soaked carpet ripped up, and the beer dried up we called it a night. But to top it all off: we replaced the carpet but later that year when our lease was up and we moved out, the landlord charged us for a new carpet b/c of our crappy replacement job! College...

15. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Not drinking heady topper.

16. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Haha! That must have hurt :D

17. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

What did the docs say about that? What caused the reaction?

18. sacrelicio

Oh wow, we only did the "power hour" in college, shot of beer a minute for 60 minutes. Everyone puked. I could do it now with no pukesies.

19. I went there after going to Deschutes and had the same feeling. It felt like I was in an old, dirty Chuck E. Cheese. Centimeter thick carpet, old dilapidated wooden chairs and tables, a feeling that the place hasn't been cleaned in ages... and of course, that dingy dive bar smell. Oh, and they also had Coors Light on tap. Depressing.

21. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I seriously doubt many of the tales I hear about people doing these without puking. 60 shots of beer in an hour would be ~5.6 pints of beer. Maybe doable if you are big, have high tolerance, and it's light beer. But these 100 and 200 minute ones would pretty put almost any human in the hospital or worse (if you didn't vomit up a good amount of the alcohol).

jcos and jglowe77 like this.
  22. One of my worst experiences with beer was getting a free pint of DFH Black and Red because the asshole bartender just wanted it off tap. I had to ask him if he had any fucking Clorox that he wanted to get rid of too.

jcos, Mitchster and beerophilia like this.
  23. You make beer sound so sad...

24. Dennoman

It's all about body mass and alcohol habits mostly. I'm a big boy, and from what the online alcohol calculator from our department of public health tells me, I'd most likely be very drunk and close to puking by the end of those two hours, but I should normally not be in the extreme danger zone.

And no, I'm not planning on trying it :p

ummswimmin likes this.
  25. sacrelicio

Oh yeah, it was light shitty beer (Natty Light maybe?) and I am a pretty big guy. I could drink 5-6 pints or low ABV beer in an hour now, I'd be drunk but not puking. Back when we were all 20 it was a different story.

26. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

I moved to Tennessee :)

Also Dixie White Moose. God Awful shit.

27. My brother made me chug a Ghost Face Killah, while listening to Ghostface Killah on my bachlor party...

28. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

We used to regularly do power hours or century club (100 min) in college, obviously with Busch Light or some cheap equivalent. It's really not that difficult. 200 min seems downright impossible unless you're a 340lb interior lineman.

One time a buddy of mine had a Christmas party and we did a Christmas power hour. Some adventurous folks tried to do it with egg nog...it did not turn out well for them

29. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I got thru 2 sips and dumped it...so vile. I wish I had gotten the Bud because it apparently isn't quite as watery. Read the reviews on here if you want a good laugh

30. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

31. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

was told to by the staff. they should have an area where you can wait and drink at the same time. again poor planing and poor event running skills.

32. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

I didn't even manage to get there in time to get a token to stand in line to maybe buy some bbpt5. I still managed to have a great time, and had pours of amazing bourbon barrel beers ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT! BBM29 dude, it was on draft for quite a long time, and if that didn't justify the trip in your mind.... You need to rethink your priorities. BTW, kudo's to all the milf's in attendance! Aside from the line moving at 3 minutes a sale, nothing was poorly managed. I was able to get pours all day and night within 2 or 3 minutes of deciding I was running low.

33. The staff didnt force you to stand in line though.

jcos likes this.
  34. im 50/50 on this. while im sure the beer was horrible, listening to ghostface @ your bachelor party might negate the beer. #SUPREMECLIENTELE

35. I still shudder when I recall the day I pulled up BA to discover that they had lumped "hads" with reviews.

Mitchster and ummswimmin like this.
  36. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Savant (260) Ohio Oct 21, 2008

like my first duck duck gooze in boston at a fest years back. tasted it, me and my friend were like "who the hell would drink this, its like funky feet in a glass", as the guy next to us is saying "man, I could drink glasses on this on my porch on a hot summer night". Ugh.

jcos likes this.
  37. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

A severe acid reflux surge and/or a allergic reaction. A cardiac event was ruled out. I believe I panicked thinking it could be a heart attack which brought on a panic attack and hyperventilation. It's kind of a bitch when you feel like you might die within a few minutes. I take a daily acid reducer now, but still don't have a taste for sour brews. That thing was so sour that I almost gave it a drain pour. Tasted like straight lemon juice to me.

38. Drinking 18 Milwaukee's Best Light's and taking two shots of Jameson on top of it. I was fine up until the Jameson mixed with all that beer in my stomach. I had to be Fireman carried to the bathroom. Now if we were talking about vodka, I could tell ya some REALLY interesting stories...

39. Dennoman

The sign of a true BA:

Get rushed to ER and almost die > drain pouring a beer.

I tip my hat to you, sir.

40. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Hey, that shit was expensive. LOL!

Ozzylizard likes this.