1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Your worst beer experience

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Dope

Dope Member

Nah, it's not as epic as it sounds. 60 shots in an hour is as you say, 5.6 pints of beer (roughly 7.5 12oz bottles). 7.5 light beers in an hour...meh. I did it several times when I was younger, and heavier. I just calculated my BAC for that feat, it would have been .086. That's barely above the legal drinking level.

Now, more recently, when I was lighter (by 50lbs) I did the 100 minute version and that sucked. Didn't puke, or come close to it, but it sucked. Calculating that BAC, it shows .175. That's pretty drunk.

200 minute one....forget it. That's 25 beers in 3h20min. No way. You'd have to puke or you'd probably be in trouble.

Dope
    luwak likes this.
  2. leedorham

leedorham Member

What ABV did you use for that calculation?
  3. Dope

Dope Member

I just did the standard 5%. I guess I was probably drinking bud light back then which is 4.2% so I may have even been legal to drive after doing the Power Hour. In fact I just recalculated it for 4.2% and it came out to only .071 BAC so yeah, within the legal limit (not that I would have). Granted, I weighed almost 300lbs back then, I'm only 217 now.

http://celtickane.com/projects/blood-alcohol-content-bac-calculator/ is what I used if you're curious.

Dope
    WoodburyMN likes this.
  4. puboflyons

puboflyons Member

Drinking a full 12 pack of PBR 30 years ago and making a mess of the inside of my friend's truck as a result...if you get my drift. I could handle it more today then I could then. Well, maybe not a full 12 pack.
  5. 4thelvofbeer

4thelvofbeer Member

Lost Rhino Brewery..in Northern Virginia.....the place sucks, the employees have no idea what customer service means, and their beer is absolute garbage!
  6. Lucidious

Lucidious Member

I went to BevMo a few years back when I first started getting a taste for real beer. Thought they were some gem of beer stores and was run by connoisseurs... Picked up a bottle of Delirium Nocturnum. The label was peeling off a little and on some bottles had fallen off all together. "Well, it is a long road from Belgium!" I thought. Got home noticed the label glue had MELTED. "Hmm. Weird. Can't wait till it chills!"

The ensuing flavor left me dazed, confused, and quite ill.
  7. Lucidious

Lucidious Member

I also drank a 1.5 Litres of a 2 litre growler of local beer that had been sitting in the fridge for about 3 months. Hallucinated like a son-of-a-bitch.
  8. TNGabe

TNGabe Member

Oddly one of my best beer experiences was watching a stranger order a bottle of this at a bar, joking about how bad it was and that it would be $20, and then finding out he was right.
  9. My first worst beer mistake was probably a Ranger IPA by New Belgium Brewing. IPA's just arent my thing. My second mistake was also a New Belgium Brew, 1554. I can appreciate some black ales, but this one just didn't do it for me. The taste I was left with was one of soy sauce and coffee.
  10. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Member

Southern Tier Jah-Va. Had it for dessert late one night and delt with a bout of horrible sweats and vomiting for a couple hours after. I knew something was off when I opened the bottle, but I'd never had it before so I gave it a go. Trust your instincts.
  11. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

What do you mean by tube?
  12. jds8411

jds8411 Member

Wild Blue. Saw it at my local bar but they were out. Bought a 6 pack to try and almost threw up. Dumped the rest. Went back to the bar a week later and told the owner how bad it was, he had already gotten rid of it.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/26049
  13. jds8411

jds8411 Member

Actually. Worst experience ever was the night before Easter 4-5 years ago. Went to the local bar (Where we had a massive hookup) with a few friends. Spent the night drinking beer and doing shots. Woke up the next morning with a black eye. I guess I was using the bathroom at home, fell over into the bathtub and hit my face on the faucet. Worst part was we had family come over Easter Sunday.
  14. jwwhitt

jwwhitt Member

In college I once bonged a can of Steel Reserve. But, I'm not sure that should really count as "beer."
  15. NoSignsOfPain

NoSignsOfPain Member

On October 30, 2012, I drank what felt like unlimited amounts of Black Tuesday, vomited at least three times on the way home and woke up with the worst hangover.

:confused:
    luwak, YaKnowBrady and kmatlack like this.
  16. squirrely2005

squirrely2005 Member

I feel like this thread turned into something it didn't mean to be. haha but I like it.
    About 3 weeks ago I threw up all over a mexican restaurants restroom. I think. It's kind of cool to try and remember since it feels like a movie. Next thing i remember is being in a bush on a different side of town then i thought I was and then my friend pulling up in his car and then waking up.
    I think the only other worst time was when i was 14 or 15 and chugged an MD 20/20 in about 10-15 minutes downtown(San Antonio). Shit was nuts.
  17. hornsup

hornsup Member

Had a specialty on tap at The River Company in Radford when I was at VT for the FSU game called Dark Angel and I almost died when I drank it. It was literally like they mixed 1/4 standard brown ale, 1/2 burnette's vodka, and 1/4 dog shit. It made me shameful I lived in the valley..maybe it was bc it was the first batch but still....taste your beers
  18. dumptruckzzz

dumptruckzzz Member

it was really just my first drinking experience, I was with a bunch of friends who were older and they picked me up at my house and just kept saying "hey we got something really good for you to try you will love it" so they drove me out sort of in the woods next to this creek that the old guys used to fish in. Next thing i know they pull out this massive bottle or somethign and pour it in this giant glass and it looked like either black tar or serious butt juice.

basically they poured dark lord into a snifter. i was like why did they bring me to this creek to serve this beer to me but i really wasnt going to question it because it was honestly a good beer. after that we pounded a bunch of millers and i dont really remember any more about that night at the creek
  19. dbfp210

dbfp210 Member

Yeah but there's puzzles on the caps!
  20. DPMomutant

DPMomutant Member

Before I found good beer, a buddy and I looked for cheap beer to supplement the liquor for New Years. We were lightweights and never got to the beer. Anyway, come June or so we need something to drink so we grab that Pabst Ice and cool it down a few minutes in the freezer and I swear we both spit that out faster than we took the first drink!
  21. LivingWeapon

LivingWeapon Member

Well this one really saddens me. I love zombie dust and bought cases of it and loved every drop. A couple weeks ago I picked up my first case of it for the first time in like 6 months, so I had my first one in quite a long time then. Every single one I have makes me feel sick or uneasy for some reason. Just seems to be zombie dust. So its my worst beer experience because I dont think Ill ever want to drink the beer I once thought was the greatest thing ever

Edit: and its weird, I still love the taste, so its not like a take a sip and want to throw up. No I drink it, tastes great, but then get a badly upset stomach EVERY time I have ONE and even if I have just ONE. Idk so weird
  22. Dennoman

Dennoman Member

Did you maybe catch a bout of stomach flu or other nausea after having one the first time? I got the stomach flu once after having some pesto, and now the smell of it alone makes my stomach churn. Every seperate ingredient of it isn't a problem, but combined they make me want to puke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlov's_dogs
  23. jjchristiano

jjchristiano Member

Worst beer experience was when I dropped a 4 pack of 90 minute IPA on my garage floor and 2 bottles popped.
  24. pixieskid

pixieskid Member

how is that your worst experience? Sounds like you had an awesome night and cool bartender; really cool actually. don't worry, that story you just told is far better than westy 12.
  25. Derranged

Derranged Member

I've done this a few times and never puked, nor have I seen anyone puke from it. I think the beer I used for it was Heineken, other times Amstel Light. I also used to funnel beers. Although back then I could drink. Binge drinking sure was fun I must admit. While I still drink equally for both taste AND feel/buzz factor, I've calmed down quite a bit. Also, doing power hour or funneling Eye of The Hawk would send me to hell for that evening o_O
  26. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

Was at a Stone Brewery Anniversary party at Cal State San Marcos (2nd session) and me and a fellow BA were staying over at the sheraton by legoland. We started with several beers at the hotel pool in the morning, then headed to Pizza Port for pitchers and beers before the event. Our wives didn't need all their 10 tickets so we each had about 15 to use and then headed to a nice dinner. Although, the four of us became two of us and the two of us, and the two of us was choking back high class vomit the whole time.
  27. Providence

Providence Member

My buddy and I once, while already completely obliterated, decided it would be a good idea to do power-hour with a jug of Carlo Rossi. We stopped after 12 minutes.
  28. BeerNerd84

BeerNerd84 Member

My worst drinking experience is pretty much everything that happened to me from age 16-20. Luckily by the time I was legal, I started to get the idea of quality over quantity.
  29. willbm3

willbm3 Member

In college my roommate's brother came to our apartment to hang out and tie one on. We offered to go buy him beer since he was like 19 at the time and he only asked for a 6 pack of Bud Select or some crap like that. We told him that wouldn't be enough but he insisted. Well guess what, it wasn't enough and we refused to give him any of our beer until he polished off the jug of Carlo Rossi that lived above the fridge as punishment. I give him credit...there was about a pint left and he polished it off
  30. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Member

I hear ya. I guess it's up to interpretation. Maybe it wasn't my "worst" beer experience, but simply my most disappointing. I'd probably feel the same way if I passed up on a Younger (which I am also yet to have). But you are right, my few days in Belgium were awesome and I can't wait to go back.
  31. pschul4

pschul4 Member

One time I tried a chelada
  32. patto1ro

patto1ro Member

Arriving at a pub 1 minute after closing time.
    MartiGras likes this.
  33. Derranged

Derranged Member

That is frightening. Smart move stopping.
    kmatlack likes this.
  34. LivingWeapon

LivingWeapon Member

Nah Ive never had a bad experience with it before. But I know what your saying, its why I cant drink or even smell vodka again due to a previous bad experience. Haha it sucks I got about 20 zombie dusts sitting in my room the have little desire to drink
  35. Belgianbrad

Belgianbrad Member

A nice Vietnamese concoction by the name of Hue. If that is beer then I'm a show pony.
  36. RangnaR

RangnaR Member

This is not so bad compared to what I've read in this thread, but last week I picked up a 22oz of Port Brewing Shark Attack at my local BevMo. Sat in the fridge until last night, and I poured it to discover what looked like someone had shaken up a dirty water snow globe. More floaties than a bottle of Goldschl├Ąger, and it smelled way off (I've had it before). Pulled the bottle out of the trash to discover it was bottled on 9/2011. Pretty sure this red ale was not meant to be cellared on the top shelf in full light for a year and a half.. Now I don't trust anything that's sitting on the shelves in there. Wife said I should take it back to BevMo, and I said I don't have the receipt, don't you think it would look strange to walk into BevMo with an empty beer bottle demanding satisfaction?
  37. Steimie

Steimie Member

They did have an area where you could wait AND drink at the same time. It's called the whole f'ing place.

You could've waited in line with a beer. You could've waited inside the brewery with a beer. You could've waited in the pub with a beer. You could've waited in the barrel room with a beer. You could've waited in the walkin cooler with a beer (AND watched Christmas Vacation!:) ).

All you needed was a general idea of when they were going to get to your # in line and then head over to the front of the line around that time. If you were waiting at Dark Horse and you didn't have a beer, you were doing it wrong.
  38. BILF

BILF Member

My best experience (with IPA).
  39. BILF

BILF Member

Looks Sessionable!
    WoodburyMN likes this.
  40. BILF

BILF Member

Hell Yeah!