1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your worst beer experience

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 7, 2013.

1. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

This is funny because it's either truth in advertising, or it's sarcasm! I'd say the latter.

2. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

Regarding "bummer" worst beer experience:

I was visiting Daytona Beach a couple years back and I went to a bottle shop and got my first taste of some Cigar City and Terrapin beers. I was on a work trip, so I had a small travel suitcase that I knew I could fit a few bombers and bottles in. When I left the shop after making my purchases, they gave me this 6-pack carrier, but for bombers, and loaded all the CCB stuff into it. I had never seen one before, but didn't think anything of it and went on my way. I got back to the rental car, headed to the hotel, while I was standing in the lobby waiting for the elevator at about 10 pm, the bottom of the bomber "carrier" gave out and all six bombers fell to the floor and exploded SPECTACULARLY. I would have held it from the bottom, but I had another bag full of 12 oz bottles in the other hand (I know, not a great excuse). But yeah, about $75 of beer, gone in an instant. Nothing rare or anything, but it was a bummer. The most amusing part was the janitor who ran over and exclaimed, "DAMN! That smells like liquor and cow shit!" Yeah, I dunno either.

On the upside, when I went back to the bottle shop the next day the owner (despite my own idiocy) hooked me up with a 20% discount on some replacement beers and threw in some leftover beers from a tasting (including a bunch of 330 ml St. Bernardus 12s) and a 1 L Paulaner Stein. So that was awesome and unexpected.

Regarding "gross" worst beer experience:

Around 2004 some freshly-minted 21 year-old friends and I purchased a 30 rack of Budweiser and retreated to one of our mom's house for the night. She had a beer fridge in the basement that had miscellaneous stuff in it, and when we were near the end of the 30 rack I reached into the back of the fridge, popped a Budweiser and gave it a swig. However, as I was drinking it I thought, "weird, this one doesn't have a wide mouth tab like the rest". I'm not sure WHEN Budweiser debuted the wide mouth, but that was probably the worst beer I ever tasted. It pretty much made me puke immediately. It was also a cautionary tale in keeping your beer fridge up-to-date.

3. It had been a rough year...divorce, losing 25 pounds then gaining it back...
    But the bright spot was scoring tickets to the Hill Farmstead VIP and Harvest Festival this past fall. I was so psyched to go. And a day and a half before we left? I sneezed. Then sneezed again. I knew what was coming...
    The night before I left, I had a full-blown cold. I remember folding laundry for my trip, and as I was folding my HF hoodie, in preparation to wear at the VIP tasting, I sneezed, and blew snot all over the front of my shirt. And then, I will admit. I starting crying.
    I went to the doctor and got ant-biotics the next morning, as my friends were waiting in my driveway to leave.
    We arrived in Vermont, and stayed with a wonderfully gracious host and hostess, new fellow BA friends. That night, we cracked Fou Foune, Fantasia, Persica, CD3, 4 different Lawsons IPA's...and you guessed it...I couldn't taste a thing. The VIP event was great. I was drunk on 3 different meds. And had Heady on tap, Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus on tap, all the rare HF stuff...
    The Harvest fest was incredible. A beautiful fall Vermont day, event run smoothly, food=awesome, beer=spectacular. Met up with a lot of new and old friends. My tastebuds were coming back.
    Sunday was spent at Prohibition Pig and the Blackback.
    My trip to Vermont was stellar, the people I met and stayed with were amazing, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    But man, the cold really put a damper on the whole experience.
    That pretty much sums it up...

luwak likes this.
  4. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Trying to open a 750 ml bottle of Trois Pistoles with a stuck cork, got frustrated and picked up a wine bottle spiral thing to pull it out and slammed the bottle on the counter top once it gave. Totally my fault for pulling out while not resting the bottle on the counter. So so disappointing... Not only did I ruin a beer I was looking forward to enjoying but I had a huge mess of glass and beer... Smelled amazing though.

5. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Breaking my Lost Abbey teku in the sink while hand washing it. :(

6. A hombrewed amber from a bottle that was cleaned too hastily and smelled of pepto bismo, or the pour from a dirty tap at Smart Bar. I've blocked it out what I had, but it was seriously bad funky.

7. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

East Berlin,1989,in the army. Decided to try the local beer.There was formaldehyde in it. Tasted like biology class.

sajaffe1 likes this.
  8. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (625) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

If that's truly your worst drinking experience, you've lived a sheltered life.

9. ScottUCF84

ScottUCF84 Savant (255) Florida Apr 7, 2006

Hmmm.... probably the first time I tried Duchesse De Bourgogne while I was still new to beer. It was well before I was familiar with sours, and I was expecting something more along the lines of a Belgian Strong (all I was told was that it was good and from Belgium).

Big surprise for my tongue. Needless to say, I've had some as of late and enjoy it.

10. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Power hour. Frat house. Natty Ice. I was 20. It was college. Had to prove manliness. Puked on someone's car. Ruined the paint. Passed out in the front lawn. Woke up at 5 am. Still wasted. Walked home with no shoes.

That said, I have no regrets.

11. abkayak

abkayak Savant (335) New York Jan 8, 2013

i did a year of school in Rochester.....thats a year of Genny Creams......amazing i can still drink beer

luwak and chiva like this.
  12. I almost killed a guy in a pool cue accident … will not be going deeper into that but it was bad.

13. Are we talking "worst beer experience" in taste of a beer or beer related incident?

1 for both.

Brewmaster Jack Stray Dog Lager. I've had mass produced with more flavor than this.

Was drinking at The Pour House in Boston. Their beer mugs are massive (22 OZ Drafts). Sucking down Blue Moons. Went back with a girl I worked with back to her place. Stumbled into the wrong room where her roommate was soundly asleep and had just got out of having foot surgery. Startled him so much he goes to stand up. Screaming ensues. Hangover= awful.

14. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

Easily mine are the first two times I drank a beer. Colt 45 and Country Club malt Liquors. Two more vile "beers" could not be created on purpose.

15. I take my original post back. During the same European trip (before Belgium) my brother and I sat down at a beer garden in Munich and were salivating at the idea of our first stein. (Again, I was 23 and German pilsners/lagers were heaven to me - not that I'm against them now...) Anyway, I walked up and saw two beers: a Helles Lager that I had had back at home before, and another one called Radler. Since I hadn't had Radler, Radler it was.

Immediately after my brother and I took our first sips, we looked at one another as if we just drank a light beer made by Capri Sun. I couldn't finish mine, while my brother maned up and finished his. Later on a pub crawl that night, we learned that Radler was half beer, half lemonade. Ai wey!

16. gkatsoris

gkatsoris Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2007

So I stopped a few months ago, and picked up a 4pk of BCBS. It finally had come to Philly and I got me a 4pk!!! I set the beer on the passenger seat and headed off for lunch. I stopped at a convenience store, headed in and picked up some edibles. Headed back out to my truck, opened up the passenger door to put my package in, and... ...and when I did, all 4 bottles fell out of the door and onto parking lot, one of them exploding in the most delicious aroma I have ever experienced. And all I could think was 'if there wasn't so much effing glass on the ground I could get the straw from my bag and drink some'.

Curse you gravity, curse you to Hell!!!

krustster, Bugs318 and Dizbro21 like this.
  17. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (335) Florida Jan 26, 2012

NEVER again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Rback

Rback Aficionado (160) New York Feb 26, 2012

I had a Genny Cream Ale-ONCE

19. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Not being able to go to the Central Waters 15th anniversary party was definitely a bummer.

20. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

Playing waterfall with 211...

Never again

21. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Hahah, that's great. Yeah, that's a traditionally "refreshing" summer drink in Germany. Depending on the region they might also use a raspberry or lemon-lime soda as well.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  22. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Every experience I've had drinking Fantome.

There's always something off... we had 2 the last time our tasting group met and the first one tasted of burnt rubber and the next: petroleum. Every time with that brewery.

23. KalH

KalH Savant (260) North Carolina Sep 22, 2009

ZIMA...Enough said.

jcos and pjbear05 like this.
  24. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (235) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

NEw Years 2007. 2-30 pack of Hamms. Bathroom floor. Oh how things change

25. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Haha..did this with a four pack of Founders RIS....I was pissed it cost what it did and then proceeded to drink them all and then stumble around the house...only the next day did I look at the lable at 13.5 ABV....hahahaha

Providence likes this.
  26. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Weideman's (sp) and jack daniel's. A long, long, LONG time ago and I still remember how sick I was.

27. November 2011, drank 5 or 6 Smithwicks at an Irish pub (which has since closed) in Cleveland Park, then Metro'd down to a burger place in Dupont Circle where I had a bacon cheeseburger plus a Founders Dirty Bastard. This was about 6:30 pm.

Next thing I know it's 12:30 am and I'm on the Metro passing through Braddock Road station (on a completely different line from my home) and my eyeglasses are gone! Didn't get home till 2 am, never did find out what happened to my glasses and had to get new ones.

28. Alright, my worst beer experience just happened over the last weekend. So, I found a beer distributor that sells beer by the case, so I picked up a case of Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre. My roommate didn't get anything there, and decided to wait to get any beer until we stopped at the local Kroger near our apartment. We split up to get groceries, but before we did, I told him I'd trade him one of my beers for one of his, if it was something that I'd never had. I did this halfway because I like trying new things, halfway because I was hoping it'd inspire him to try something outside of his normal BMC purchases, which I've had.

Well, let me just say, that was a terrible decision on my part. After we checked out I asked him what he got, it was a four pack of these Bud Light Chelada cans, it was a combination of Bud Light, tomato juice and clam broth. And it was sold this way. In stores. So I decide to just get it over with, and drink this beer first before my Dogfish Head. It was without a doubt the worst beer that I've ever tasted. The first sip wasn't that bad, mostly because I like the taste of tomatoes, but after that it went really really really downhill. I got through about half of the can, and I couldn't do it any more. For the first time in my life, I drainpoured a beer.

Although this story does have a happy ending. I chugged some water, grabbed one of my DFH's, and all was once again right with the world.

29. Was in Boston with two buddies and we picked of 4 packs of Sam Adams Double Bock, Imperial Stout, and Imperial White one night. They were gone within a couple hours and all 3 of us were puking. I didn't get rid of the queasiness entirely until the following evening. Runner-up is going to a nice dinner in NYC and ordering what I though was going to be a nice Italian lager. It was Forst, and it ended being one of only a handful of times I have left beer in a glass.

30. egrace84

egrace84 Champion (845) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

31. was with something called JOOSE...

cvengeance likes this.
  32. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Last month, a buddy from out of state came down to stay at his seasonal campground down the street from me. He recently got really into craft beer and wanted to try a variety of styles. In typical me fashion, I went extremely overboard and took way too much, which proved to be my demise. After a few hours of trying various beers, I was feeling pretty toasty and wishing I had brought about 3-4 less bombers...

The campground he stays at has a large lake that we always fish at. We decided to hop in the golf cart and head down to hang out and fish. We get about half way down this rocky dirt road when he says " oh shit, I forgot something" He proceeds to whip a hard 180 on the golf cart, throwing me from the cart. I hit the ground face first, destroying my sunglasses (happy I was wearing them though) I did a full on scorpion and slid 2-3 feet on nothing but my face. This was the result:

[​IMG]

Final Damages were a $150 pair of costa del mars, 2 weeks with road rash on my face, and my pride.

Still hurts thinking about it

luwak, SouthAtholSuds, n2pux and 7 others like this.
  33. Had a bottle of alpine Nelson and poured the first half of the bomber and drank it and it was fantastic. Came in the house, poured the rest into a glass and it was white and cloudy, so I tasted it out of curiosity and it tasted like sour milk. I don't know what the hell happened but it was awful

34. smbslt

smbslt Savant (405) Illinois Dec 26, 2010

After a incredible hike to a mountain house in the Apuan Alps had a chestnut based beer that would have been a drain pour had there been a drain. Even overlooking Carrara it was horrid. I felt bad for whoever dragged it up there.

35. Smelling without tasting... such is the burden of pizza delivery guys and gynecologists everywhere.

My worst experience was 5 cans of Natural Ice on a particularly hot day in Cape Cod.

dowen17, JohnnyMc, sajaffe1 and 14 others like this.
  36. Having a pint glass explode in my hand in the pub. Blood everywhere. Not nice. Still have a scar from that one.

luwak and sajaffe1 like this.
  37. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

1st place: Sticking a overcarbinated bottle of hefewisen into a ice bath and having it explode in my hand.
    2ed place: taking a HEAVY swig from a bottle of mostly warm Imperial stout and having it blow up in my face (foam shot out of the bottle in a huge blast)

38. PorterLambic

PorterLambic Advocate (560) Florida Nov 26, 2003

1st place: (Pre-expanded palate at 24 years old) fresh Falstaff at a friend's H.S. graduation. Her father worked there, so it came straight from the brewery. Fortunately, I had picked up a case of Michelob (24 cans, $7) because the Falstaff, regular & light, were utter swill, pure drain pour. Straight vinegar would be preferable.
    2nd place: 2 years ago, a free Michelob Ultra 7 oz. Had to water the bushes directly after sip one.

39. My first Guinness. Out of a bottle that had probably sat on a shelf for years before me and my friend decided to "try something besides Bud" back in the 80's. Tasted like dishwater.

It took years to work up the courage to try it again, but moving to the city gave me access to the fresh stuff.

40. godlessape

godlessape Savant (300) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

I was at a Metal show, outdoors in Atlanta in July and the only beer I could find was Coors Light. It killed me to pay inflated prices for a horrible beer like that but it was way to freaking hot out. I drank 3, 24oz can's. Right before the end of the show I found a kiosk selling Sweetwater 420 on tap.

jrnyc, dedbeer and FriarTuckInLuck like this.