1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Your worst beer experience

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Miller Lite was the only beer at a New Years Eve party. Enough said.

2. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

Once I went into the Alchemist's cannery (man did it stink in there) and had a sample of their beer, but there was no Drain in which to Pour it!

3. Worst: In college the night my two-man team won 12 games of beer pong in a row, most of them going down to one cup. Let's just say there was no victory celebration afterwards. Never touched Keystone Light again.

Most discouraging: The abysmal failure that was my second attempt at home brewing. My first batch came out great and I thought I was a natural born brewer. The Beer Gods humbled me mightily.

DrChadly and timontheroad like this.
  4. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Savant (265) Georgia Sep 22, 2011

At ga southern ladies night miller lite all night long. You know what happened the next morning, head throb and 10 years ago I started a bad habit of getting a 22 oz Icehouse sometimes two poured into a coffee cup or cup with a straw and drove home from work. Idiot!

5. Had the same exact experience. Myself and a friend grabbed a 6 of it, and had trouble finishing. Still considering it may have been a tainted pack.

6. The first guinness I had was....terrible. think I was 16 or 18 at the time. Couldnt imagine I would love beer as I do now.

ChuckHardslab likes this.
  7. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Me too :oops: only it was only one bomber of dorado double IPA and I spent some time trying not to puke.

Providence and kerry4porters like this.
  8. Living in South Korea.

luwak and Saind like this.
  9. saburky

saburky Aficionado (240) Ohio Dec 10, 2011

yuengling lager - lite

SpAiReArGsEonNE likes this.
  10. I'm actually planning on going there(O.H.S.O.) For my birthday Havent really checked up on them all that much but i'm glad to.hear something positive :)

Pecan likes this.
  11. One sip of Bud Light & Clamato Chelada for a quick tick while on a Heady run.

s_wit likes this.
  12. JayORear

JayORear Advocate (540) California Feb 22, 2012

Loved OHSO when I was in town for Spring Training a couple of years ago. Awesome guest tap list, but their own brews are pretty great, too!

Pecan and kerry4porters like this.
  13. n2pux

n2pux Savant (365) Texas Apr 30, 2003

Hate to hear that about your Papago experience. I basically lived there for a couple of years & they really nurtured my high end beer love. Of course, that was about 7 years ago & a lot can change with a place. I'm hoping you just caught them on a rare bad night.

14. Jirin

Jirin Savant (360) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2013

One time when I first started drinking beer I had seven or eight and vomited.

15. Chicken Killer Barley Wine Santa Fe Brewing Company tasted of burnt plastic and regret just horrible somehow muscled my way through and then got sick later it may be that I purchased an old or spoiled bottle but the memory of it has kept me from purchasing another barleywine although I have considered it but its tough to get over the memory of that taste

utopiajane likes this.
  16. One time I tried to funnel a 40oz of Steel Reserve (oh freshman year of college). I have never been more sick in my life.

17. Having a handful of '09 mirror mirror and all of them being amazing and saying that the infection claims were bunk only to open my very last bottle to find that the infection was indeed true. I tried my best to drink it but alas down the drain it went

18. I have drank a lot of steel reserve (way more than I care to admit) but I'll never say it was a bad thing.

DrunkethWizard likes this.
  19. Getting shut out playing beer pong solo while drinking Flower Power. Sadly, I was pretty sober at the time and was generally a good shot.

20. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Savant (310) New Jersey Oct 29, 2011

One night all we had to drink was a semi-cool 30 pack of Schaefer.

21. cl3

cl3 Savant (285) Wisconsin Aug 16, 2013

I get a weird allergic reaction to some beers but not others. I wind up turning red as a tomato, breaking out in hives and swelling up. It's not all beer, but just a few random ones. I love beer but sometimes it a gamble trying something new. So far I found out I'm allergic the following: Any of the New Glarus fruit beers (Serendipity, Strawberry Rhubarb & Raspberry Tart. I haven't tried the WI Belgian Red yet), Blue Point Rastafa Rye, and Samuel Smith Chocolate Stout.

If anyone has any suggestions on what could be causing this or an ingredient or process that these beers have in common, please illuminate me.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  22. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

some of the worst Ive ever had have been out of the local homebrew club...........tho to be fair that was in their "worst of" competition!

23. blindtiger24

blindtiger24 Savant (255) Colorado Mar 16, 2010

Funny enough, the first time I tried Duvel Red. I had never experienced a Belgian beer before. After walking the streets of Paris and seeing signs for it everywhere, I figured I had to try it (and Kronenbourg). Wow, I hated this beer! It tasted like rancid (yeast) ass (spice). These were flavors I was unaccustomed to and in the end I liked the lighter Kronenbourg better. As I tried more Belgians over the years, it's funny to think about how disgusted I was with that first Duvel. I haven't had one since, but I really need to as a point of reference.

24. pjbear05

pjbear05 Aficionado (195) Florida May 28, 2008

Forty years after first experience, and I still won't drink gin. Nasty!

25. AHeaston8

AHeaston8 Savant (355) Ohio Dec 9, 2013

Went to a hole in the wall in Michigan. Terrible beer, their stout tasted like cold coffee. Not iced coffee, coffee that sits in the cup all day without being drank. Imagine the taste of that in a dirty glass.

26. derftron

derftron Savant (300) Oregon Feb 8, 2012

every once in a while I get a delerium tremens that tastes like metallic foil and pennies. so off putting and bad for a beer that expensive.

anything from Portland brewing as well. so horrible.

also a really bad experience that happens every 6 months or so is getting back from a party or a bar and diving in to cellar, only to wake up the next morning so very sad that you crushed $100 worth of whales and barely remember it :(

27. Too bad, it's excellent on draft. Older bottles can border on barleywine, maybe this was your experience?

28. yasky

yasky Savant (300) New York Dec 21, 2008

Worst (or best depending on point of view) Drinking a shitload of Wisconsin Belgian Red and Cuvee Brut. If you drink enough of these beers you will have some entertainingly red urine the next morning. Unfortunately I thought the red was blood and wound up taking an embarrassing trip to the doctors office.

29. Eating Spaghettios and then playing beer pong with PBR before switiching to Gordon's vodka. Woke up around 3pm the next day with a puddle of spaghettios next to me.

Moral, spaghettios and binge drinking don't mix

DrChadly likes this.
  30. I said living in South Korea was my worst beer experience but living in Australia was far worse. My small town in Western Australia had alcohol restrictions so I couldn't buy anything stronger than 2%, leaving a choice of just two lowly adjunct lagers that were really expensive. I could, of course, have drank at one of the two excruciatingly expensive bars which served nothing but Australian lager but they weren't keen on foreigners and me and my friends often got turned away. It was too dangerous to walk around at night anyhow. The other nearest bottle shop was a three hour drive away but to rent a car for a day in this particular town cost over 500 AUD. Another time I lived up in Queensland in a smallish town for nine months and it was impossible to buy anything worth drinking.

luwak and nsheehan like this.
  31. coolhandbeer

coolhandbeer Zealot (90) New York Mar 9, 2011

hahaha, I was just getting into drinking well crafted beers, and decided to go to bevi and buy something tall dark and thick, brooklyn black ops looked to good to resist from the label and i knew i liked other brooklyn beers. I poured it into a large pint glass to the top took a big gulp and nearly choked on it, and thought it terrible. Lesson learned. Glad I've trained my palate to what it is now

32. Mitchster

Mitchster Advocate (585) Michigan Dec 25, 2002

1) Drinking Labatts.
    2) My first homebrew...you know the kind, where you mix together a can of malt extract and 3 lbs of sugar and sprinkle the yeast from the top of the dusty can into the "wort". I can still taste it, and I have to say, I've tried a lot of infected beer, but none that have ever tasted like that one.
    3) I brewed a batch of Weizen Eis Bock...brewing it, freezing it, straining it, carbonating it...all a big hassle. I carry it to our homebrew club meeting, set it on a stool and the thing tips over and explodes all over the garage floor. I was able to salvage about 3 ounces which I shared with the few club members who were already there.

nsheehan and utopiajane like this.
  33. Mitchster

Mitchster Advocate (585) Michigan Dec 25, 2002

I had had Goudenband and Duchesse and a few other sours, but nothing could brace me for the first time I tried La Folie on tap at New Belgium in Fort Collins. IMO, sours aren't supposed to taste like that. Same with Jolly Pumpkin. Ugh. Bile. Bile. Bile.

34. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Savant (395) Texas Jan 25, 2012

I had my first Guiness during an airport stopover in Ireland when I was 19. I really do remember wondering why Irish people liked foamy motor oil poured through coffee grounds...

A_Frayed_Knot and nsheehan like this.
  35. admiral

admiral Savant (300) Australia Jul 10, 2013

Unlucky that you weren't in the majority of other places in Australia that have some quality craft beer available (both locally and from overseas). Even in most smaller places away from the cities you will easily find beers such as Duvel,Weihenstephaner, Chimay etc and at least some local pale ale (at the very worst).

36. Maybe things have changed in the last three years but I circled the country twice, cutting through the middle, and never once saw any of the afforementioned beers.

37. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

reading some of these stories about people's packages full of whales getting stolen, i don't think i can top that

that would absolutely be crushing, and the people who stole them should be crushed

38. admiral

admiral Savant (300) Australia Jul 10, 2013

Things have certainly changed for the better in the last few years with plenty of new microbreweries having popped up along with more craft beer centric venues and better selection at the local bottleshop. However, did you visit the major cities and regional areas such as Melbourne, Perth, Fremantle, Sydney etc on your travels? They still would have had quality beer a few years ago to find (despite the amount of pubs with the big guys exclusively on their taps, which thinking about it now, I assume you must have run into). Anyway, certainly come a long way - Australia for sure was a bit of a beer wasteland a decade or two ago!

39. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Aficionado (225) Iowa Oct 24, 2013

In London I broke into a housemate's room, stripped down to my skivvies, climbed into his wardrobe, was aggressively coerced back into my room, and drowned my ipod after drinking a 2L of Strongbow cider after a particularly rough night of drinking.

I had no idea where my pants (and therefore my wallet and passport) were until the security guard of the complex called me over and proceeded to show me the security tape of my piss drunk stumbling down the stairs (pantsless) to talk to the other security guard who in his poor judgement, granted me access to the complex skeleton key earlier in the night. From there I was able to piece together what happened. I have never been so embarrassed in my life as I was asking the room across from mine if they had my pants. I apologized profusely, bought them dinner, and didn't drink cider for another 5 years.

nsheehan and PorterLambic like this.
  40. Steel reserve ....uggghhhhhh............barf :p