1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yuengling Announces New Seasonal, Summer Wheat Traditional Weizen Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Pottsville, PA (March 2014) D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc. is pleased to announce the release of a new seasonal beer for 2014, Yuengling® Summer Wheat Traditional Weizen Beer.

Yuengling® Summer Wheat is carefully brewed with a combination of wheat and barley malts. Hallertau hops and Bavarian-style top fermenting yeast deliver a thick, creamy head with overtones of banana and clove esters. This authentic German Weizen style beer, with a slight hazy appearance, concludes with a crisp finish.

Summer Wheat is the third edition to America’s Oldest Brewery’s seasonal offerings and is scheduled to release between Yuengling’s spring release, Bock and fall release, Oktoberfest.

[​IMG]

Yuengling fans will be able to enjoy Summer Wheat in six pack cases, ¼ and ½ Barrels beginning in April.

About D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc: Based in Pottsville, PA, D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc., America’s Oldest Brewery, is family owned and operated since 1829. Principal beer brands include Traditional Lager, Light Lager, Premium, Light, Black and Tan, Dark Brewed Porter, and Lord Chesterfield Ale. For more information, visit www.yuengling.com

###

2. Solid. Glad to see their expansions didn't just mean making endless Traditional Lager. It will be my civic duty to pick up a six pack of my hometown's new brew despite my snootiness.

3. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 16, 2013

I will be on the lookout

jcos likes this.
  4. Yuengling and Straub both have been putting out some decent stuff lately. Definitely doesn't stand up to many other offerings of course, but considering the price they're pretty damn good! Definitely cool to see new beers from both of them!

Shroud0fdoom and JackHorzempa like this.
  5. Ill definitely try this.

6. i assume this cleverly timed release is to compete with sam adams summer. although i doubt this one is brewed with grains of paradise

7. Storm21

Storm21 Savant (410) Ohio Oct 15, 2013

I really like Yeungling so i will definitely pick this up.

8. Straub has most definitely stepped up their game with some of their seasonal beers. Both the fall seasonal of 1872 Lager (Pre-Prohibition Lager) and more recently Groundhog Altbier are most definitely craft beers IMHO.

The Yuengling seasonal beers of Oktoberfest and Bock have ‘drinkability’ but there are not worthy of being called craft IMHO. Yuengling Summer Wheat (Weizen) sounds like this could be a ‘game changer’ for Yuengling?

Cheers!

Snowpants and OddNotion like this.
  9. I really hope this one works out - a good cheap easily accessible hefeweizen would be great. I agree that their Oktoberfest leaves a lot to be desired.

Brightside likes this.
  10. I actually think that the Yuengling Oktoberfest is an enjoyable beer to drink. In my opinion it is a tasty American Amber Adjunct Lager. I do not think that Yuengling Oktoberfest is consistent to the Oktoberfest beer style though.

Cheers!

11. Much respect Yuengling. I will be on the lookout for this one.

creepinjeeper and BigMike like this.
  12. Will likely give it a shot, knowing Yuengling's typical price point, but I am unsure what to make of the phrase "authentic German Weizen style beer." I have a feeling I'm being lied to, but only trying it for myself will tell....

13. stingley

stingley Savant (250) Pennsylvania Sep 21, 2013

I had Yuengling Traditional Lager on draft a few days ago and it was very good.
    I was very pleasantly surprised by their Octoberfest last year... I thought it stood up well to any of the more expensive brands.
    And, as already mentioned, you can't beat the price!

I think this will be a solid offering as well... not one of my favorite styles, but I will probably give it a try.

And yes, Straub has stepped up their game as well.

GeddyLeeRocks and creepinjeeper like this.
  14. KentT

KentT Aficionado (205) Tennessee Oct 15, 2008

Will seek this out and try it. Their track record has been reasonably good.

15. I thought it was alright, nothing special. My issue was that I was expecting something similar to other O-Fests and, like you, I didnt find that in the bottle.

16. I will be looking for it, should be worth a shot

17. I think I found my post grass cutting refresher!

18. I like their Bock a lot, but I'm really excited about the summer wheat! I love hefeweizens and if I like it I could potentially see myself picking it up frequently throughout the summer!

Cheers!

19. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

This would be a much better alternative: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1853/7316/

20. xk6m6m5x

xk6m6m5x Savant (290) New Jersey May 30, 2012

Yuengling is what got me drinking beer vs rum... I dont think they make a bad beer, deff not craft but always solid beers.. Deff going to try this and hope for a nitro stout for a winter seasonal next year :)

zachrotc likes this.
  21. I am really enjoying Stranb's Maibock. Would like to try their doppelbock .

Snowpants likes this.
  22. ......I am so happy right now

23. I was really impressed. It wasn't quite Troegenator and of course not Celebrator quality, but it was damn good especially since it was like $25 for a case. (Though that was the variety with 1872, IPL, Straubator, and their Traditional Amber). If they released it by the case for that price I'd easily make it a go to!

I agree Straub Maibock was great too!

afterexile likes this.
  24. I am a big fan of Sly Fox Royal Weisse. The one advantage that Yuengling has is a broader distribution area. Sly Fox is only available in a few states (e.g., PA, NY, NJ, DE, some areas of MD).

Cheers!

25. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

Agreed, I just saw that he was in NJ and would have easy access to Slyfox.

Though, I admit, I'm not excited by this offering from Yeungling. I'll try it, but I'm fairly certain it will be a one time thing for me.

26. “Yuengling® Summer Wheat is carefully brewed with a combination of wheat and barley malts. Hallertau hops and Bavarian-style top fermenting yeast deliver a thick, creamy head with overtones of banana and clove esters.” Reads like a ‘real’ hefeweizen to me (especially the Hallertau and Bavarian-style yeast parts). There is no reason that Yuengling can’t produce a quality hefeweizen and based upon their ingredient choices I personally am hopeful about this beer. It sure ‘sounds’ tasty to me.

@HRamz3 I am glad to read that you are willing to try it.

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  27. Cool. I think their Bock and their Oktoberfest are both solid offerings, so I'll try this one.

28. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/182/117171/?ba=WVbeergeek

Here's my thoughts and yes I'm a bit of a fanboy, but this is light years better than their other seasonal offerings...they made a true hefeweizen to style. It's cheap and it makes you want to drink more and more. Should be the best outdoor grilling and after cutting the grass beer around especially at $6.50 a sixer.

We were the high school kids buying Hoff-Stevens kegs of Yuengling Lager throwing keg parties in the woods growing up...this has sentimental value to see them brew a great beer like this.

29. schildres

schildres Aficionado (160) Maryland Oct 14, 2010

I agree with your review. Lots of banana and clove on this beer! Although this isn't one of my favorite styles, I think this beer is great for the price point and fits in with Yuenglings profile very well. Should be a very good warmer weather beer.

30. Ysgard

Ysgard Savant (315) Virginia Mar 5, 2008

$7 bucks or under a 6pack?

skaboom420 likes this.
  31. That's what I got it for at a Kroger grocery store in Ohio. So case prices in PA should be even better!!!

32. Cheers to you sir!

33. BenFolds10

BenFolds10 Aspirant (40) Delaware Jul 28, 2013

34. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

At $19 a case, I said why not and grabbed one.

It was surprisingly good in my opinion. What stood out to me was a crazy amount of pink bubblegum character more than the typical clove/banana indicative of the style. Also, cant believe im saying this...it almost seems like they over-hopped this. There was a distinct bitterness much more prevalent than any other example of the style that ive had in recent memory.

ClockworkOrange and tommyguz like this.
  35. I am a Yuengling fanboy wannabe. I enjoy Traditional Lager when I can get it. Wish this and others would make their way to Chicago.

36. vshay

vshay Aficionado (105) Pennsylvania Jun 23, 2013

I tried one last week and was surprised because I didn't expect much but it was a decent brew. I tasted a lot of banana right away which I kinda like but thought it was lacking in mouth feel. But for $21 a case its not a bad deal.

cello likes this.
  37. Tried this at a beer fest this past weekend. Crisp beer with clove at the end. It will be a good beer on a summer night.

38. Traditional plus corn syrup maybe.

39. FWIW, there is no mention of corn syrup in the Yuengling press release:

“Yuengling® Summer Wheat is carefully brewed with a combination of wheat and barley malts. Hallertau hops and Bavarian-style top fermenting yeast deliver a thick, creamy head with overtones of banana and clove esters. This authentic German Weizen style beer, with a slight hazy appearance, concludes with a crisp finish.”

Cheers!

tommyguz likes this.
  40. Well, even if they do use it, it's pretty "traditional" to use corn syrup in the US - at least, it's been used here for well over a century.

;)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    ajfa531 likes this.