1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

Yuengling ties Boston Beer, Deacom facilitates growth spurt

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Thirsty2383, Feb 29, 2012.

1. It's nice that lou Romano admits the Yuengling is not craft .

IPA4LIFE likes this.
  2. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,235) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

This has always puzzled me because Sam Adams is literally everywhere, yet Yuengling seems quite regional - and even then, when I was in PA I think I saw Sam Adams more often than Yuengling.

3. dublthink

dublthink Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012

I see a lot of people that only drink Yuenling in the Daytona Beach area... It's pretty damn popular here.

4. The more I read / learn about Yuengling, the more it seems like they are only interested in competing with BMC, not producing unique craft beers.

5. What made you think this, the fact that they only have 7 beers listed on their site , and you can generally only find two , perhaps three of them in most locations? Without being snarky, I think they are generally in the business to make money and produce a quality product which I think most people can appreciate. Just because they arent producing bombers of $10 beers doesnt mean that they are BMC.

This: "We compete with premium domestics, which have the largest volume of beer drinkers as a whole."

6. I live in prime Yuengling country and can say that Yuengling drinkers & BMC drinkers are definitely one and the same. The Yuengling drinker here is intensely loyal and drinks their 'Lager' in mass quantities. Also, it is on tap at every conceivable location where beer would be on tap. When I see it's on draft somewhere with a BMC only lineup, I check to see what they have in bottles. They are not craft and have no interest in being craft, though they have, recently, released two new beers (Bock & Oktoberfest) that I am equally indifferent to. At least they are trying. As for their other offerings, all below average to horrible, in my opinion.

7. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

I invited them to the American Craft Beer Fest ... they said they don't do fests outside of their market though they never said they were not "craft". ;)

8. It's possible they see themselves as craft in terms of their size versus BMC, considering craft seems to be used interchangably with micro these days. They certainly are not craft in terms of the quality of their beer. Fortunately for us in PA, we have access to world-class craft breweries who excel at brewing German-style lagers and ales. The Yuengling portfolio doesn't approach the quality of the Victory's, Stoudt's and Sly Fox's of the world. What they do is brew cheap, everyday beer that appeals to nearly everyone, i.e. BMC drinkers. Not that that is a bad thing.