1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yuengling: What says you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by C63AMG, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have tried it many times (the traditional lager), mostly in bottle, and I just don't get it.
    Now, I know there are some people that have affection for this beer, so I won't blast it too bad, but man I can't stand the taste of it. I did have it on tap at Disney World last year (it was this or Miller lite or some other garbage) and it was drinkable, but I would never buy it for myself.

So what's the deal with this stuff?

azorie likes this.
  2. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

What's the deal? Some people like it, some don't. Some people like opera, some don't. Some people like Lawrence Welk, some don't. The world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things.

SadMachine, azorie, CBlack85 and 10 others like this.
  3. coronajm

coronajm Aficionado (240) Ohio Jan 4, 2010

With respect to other domestic macros, Yuelngling is at the top, IMO. Cheaper than the other usual big boys around here, too.

4. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

My favorite session beer of all time.

5. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Where I live, it's $4.50 a six pack if you buy by the case. It's not a bad thing to pick up if you're hosting a cookout and you want to supply something that most people will likely enjoy with a burger. And if I could buy a single sixer at that price, I'd probably pick one up for myself every now and then as a post-run beer.

However, since I can get the Genesee Heritage Pack for less than that, I probably won't be buying Yuengling any time soon.

1up and Blueribbon666 like this.
  6. It's a great session beer for a night out at a bar otherwise without craft offerings, for those of us lucky enough to live in the distribution area. It's also a great offering to have in the fridge for guests, who aren't adventurous drinkers.

For me personally, it's a hometown beer that is fun to return to once and a while and enjoy mindlessly with a baseball game.

7. Cr0wBait

Cr0wBait Aficionado (170) Florida Feb 17, 2012

I don't care for it; it's not bad, it just doesn't have any flavor.

8. At $7.50/sixer, the great lakes sampler pack is a great buy as well!

9. I like it but am not too sad it's not in my distribution area. That being said i'm grabbing a case when i go to Columbus in may. anyone know of a good store that sells cases over there?

10. I think Yuengling is a quaffable and easy drinking lager. I also think it's one of those most affordable beers on the market for the quality that you get. There is a great deal of history behind the brewery, I had the chance to go a brewery visit a few years ago and had a great time.

creepinjeeper, 1up and STKPICR0720 like this.
  11. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (435) New York Dec 20, 2006

Taste is subjective. That's the "deal" with this "stuff".

12. Yuengling is not that bad, its one of the beers that got me into beers. Fresh Yuengling is delicious. I, myself have been to the brewery. You can't purchase any beer at the brewery but they're a few places around Pottsville where you can. They don't sell at their brewery so they don't take away from the stores that sell their product. Yuengling in cans are a lot better than in bottles. Bottled Yuengling tastes skunked, due to the green bottles.

tjwarren, 1up and RKPStogie like this.
  13. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Amen! Sadly, we don't get Great Lakes here.

14. It just entered the market here in Durham, NC. Back home in Ohio I was paying $9/six pack. I just stumbled across 6 packs of the year round for 8 dollars at a Total Wine. Easter. Egg.

1up likes this.
  15. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Savant (450) New York Feb 15, 2008

It's a beer that I can buy for my macro loving friends and I don't have to feel guilty about it since I can still support an independent brewery. And I don't mind downing a few myself on occasion...especially when it's often the only independent option on tap at many local bars.

creepinjeeper and drperry11 like this.
  16. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Savant (390) California Mar 20, 2011

I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that you "can't stand the taste of it" yet other people "have affection for" it. Seriously, what is the deal with this stuff!?! What kind of witchery is this? Must be some kind of evil mermaid menstrual potion or something...

AnchorBaby likes this.
  17. I can't say I "have affection" for it or anything, but you gotta respect how long it's been around. I can't knock it too bad because it's not around in my state, but I'll get it if I'm out of state on occasion. Their Porter and Black&Tan are pretty decent in my opinion too.

18. Mohican88

Mohican88 Aficionado (230) Ohio Jan 20, 2010

I might just have to pick up some of their canned Black & Tan sometime soon. It's been awhile but I can remember enjoying it.

19. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I can't stand the taste of human brains, but Hannibal Lector and zombies just love it! What's the deal?

But seriously, I would like to try it, but I've never seen it.

4balance likes this.
  20. Horseballs

Horseballs Aficionado (105) Ohio Feb 7, 2012

It is better quality than the big guys and costs about the same. It is family owned. It may not be the best beer, but for the price you can't beat it.

21. Maybe I had some skunked ones, idk--the one on tap that I had was a bit better.
    For me, I know a lot of people who think it's the shit and it has some cult following around here, but the product is so average at best, IMO. I'm sure the history and memories of drinking it play into it's cult following and I know it's not widely distributed, so that adds to the mystique. Not my thing, but neither is berry flavored ice cream--I agree it'd be a very boring world if we all had the same tastes!

22. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (470) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

I keep a 12 pack of bottles in my fridge at all times. Love it.

23. I think its an excellent lager. There is a reason why Yuengling is the biggest American owned brewery. They make a quality beer at a great price. Its not hard to find a case for $18, sometimes even less.

The thing I like about Yuengling is that they do the basics very well. The lager is great, but their porter and black and tan are also very good. I also enjoy their Lord Chesterfield Ale. They are also starting to put out a few seasonals. I thought their Oktoberfest was great and I plan on trying their Bock tomorrow.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  24. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Savant (450) New York Feb 15, 2008

FWIW, I'm sure they exist, but I've never met anyone who thinks it's "the shit."

25. I have been thinking about posting on this topic for a few days, and the recent thread about Yuengling Lager influenced me to throw this out here... Yuengling Lager is excellent, but there is a distinctly different taste between their canned product and bottled product. I would much rather drink the canned version. Yuengling uses green bottles, and I feel that the beer gets skunked rather quickly, which leads to the difference in taste. Does anyone know why Yuengling is continuing to use green bottles, when IMO it is adversely affecting the taste of their bottled beer?

26. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Savant (390) California Mar 20, 2011

This is just speculation but maybe Yuengling doesn't think the color of the bottle leads to a change in the taste, or maybe they don't give a shit.
    Again this is just speculation.

27. They bottle Yuengling Bock, Black and Tan, Premium, Premium Light, and even Light Lager in brown bottles (pretty much everything but Lager and Chesterfield). It is probably all nostalgia but I think Lager never tastes better than straight from the green bottle. Although I would agree with you there is a difference between bottled lager and canned lager. In fact, I think lager is worst on draft.

28. It may not be an outstanding beer but Yuengling is a big part of PA culture. You know it will be on tap at every bar at all times. All you have to say is "lager" to order it. You can drink it cheap ($15-17/case, usually $2-3/draft). You grow up around it, perhaps stealing it from your dad's fridge (like me). You can drink 6 or 12 in a sitting and it doesn't taste like water. I love craft beer of all types, but Yuengling tastes like beer to me and I will always have days where I am craving a Lager.

29. Etan

There was a thread recently where Yuengling's green bottles were brought up. One poster said he had emailed the brewery, and they emailed him back saying that it is a marketing decision. Their sales went down when they briefly switched to brown bottles, I believe, so they switched back. They also said that they are working on an anti-UV coating for the green bottles with the bottling company.

30. That would be awesome. I would hate to see the green yuengling lager bottles go, as they are very much a part of the lager brand.

31. Etan

Aha!

The Yuengling story

rings and NoLeafClover44 like this.
  32. Etan likes this.
  33. Some people who live in places where it's not distributed talk about it like a white whale....I think that exclusivity tends to elevate it in their estimation. I've actually traded it for some stellar craft beer in the past (and I'll make sure they are aware how little it costs and what they are getting).

Anyway, it is what it is; solid cheap beer and I don't turn it down when someone offers me one.

34. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Yuengling is garbage, nothing more than Fat Tire before Fat Tire.

Tut likes this.
  35. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I buy Yuengling as an alternative to BMC. It's a pretty good beer for just general drinking at a party or gathering.

creepinjeeper, mwar and Blueribbon666 like this.

36. Well, Yuengling is tied with Boston Beer Co. as the largest American-owned brewery (both with barely over 1% of the market each) primarily because Anheuser-Busch and Miller were bought by multinational brewing conglomerates, Coors merged with the Canadian Molson, most of NAB’s sales are Canadian-brewed Labatt brands and Pabst closed all their breweries. Corona, Heineken and Diageo all sell more beer in the US than those two “largest” US-owned breweries.

Taking nothing off the success of either Yuengling or BBC (both growing incredible since the mid-80’s) but their status is by default and kinda sad…

37. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

It's ok nothing more. If I'm going BMC I honestly like Miller Lite better. I want a crisp clean BMC, no weird Oaky hits, not overly malty.

38. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (570) California Oct 29, 2008

That's unfortunate. It's readily available in Philly and Pitt, but apparently the Alabama that is Pennsylvania between the aforementioned cities gets the shaft. I'm pretty sure GLBC goes at least as far west as Exton, but they could reach farther.

39. That's why Yuengling still brews their standard US-adjunct lager, now called Yuengling Premium (a much older beer than the late 1980's-era "Traditional Lager"). And a lot cheaper than TL and the BMC flagships - $12-14/cs in NJ.

[​IMG]

BulletproofBA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.