1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yuengling: What says you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by C63AMG, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

Since when am I required to fall in line with what you say the comparison is??

In my posts I'm comparing it to craft because I have free will and that's the comparison I choose to make.

Where is it written in this thread that your choice for comparison is the only one allowed?

The thread title is Yeungling, What Says You?
    I say I think it's a poor beer.
    And that shouldn't be a difficult concept.:confused:
    VictorWisc likes this.
  2. The OP asked what the deal with this stuff was. I'm telling you what that deal is. It's popular as an alternative to BMC. That's it. That's the whole deal. It's not touted as some awesome beer in comparison to craft offerings and I don't think you'll find anyone that wouls say it's good compared to craft. So yes, you can make that comparison if you want to, but it's outside the bounds of what this thread is about.

Apparently that was a more difficult concept then I thought it would be for some people.
  3. And I've said that Yuengling is a perfectly reasonable back up option in such situations. It's just not worth the discussion space or the praises. There is a Russian proverb that reads something like, "In a fish famine, even crayfish (crawfish) is a fish". Well, as far as I'm concerned, Yuengling is a crayfish. If I want meat (craft), a crayfish just won't do, but it might be a passable alternative to fish (BMC). [For the record, I love crayfish, especially as a German/Baltic beer chaser.]

You just put your finger on it--BMC drinkers are the ones going gaga over Yuengling. Let them have their fun. I'll even steam brats in it. It's just not a gateway or crossover beer. It's more like a "mountain" in Holland--a big hill that's still below sea level.[/quote][/quote]
    RichardMNixon likes this.
  4. Tut

You claim "there's a time and a place for AAL's" as if that's a mandate from heaven that I must accept.
    Well, I and plenty of others don't accept it. Those situations you describe are real for you and for you, Yeungling may make sense - go ahead and drink it, I don't care.

I don't like it, don't think it's a good beer, and don't drink it.
    My opinion on Yeungling has nothing to do with all those type of situations you and some others claim it's a good option for.

I think Yeungling is a shitty beer, period.
  5. fezzman

fezzman Aficionado (145) Florida Oct 18, 2006

If I'm at an establishment that only has macros, a cold draught Yuengling is a no brainer. And I've always been kind of partial to the Black & Tan when I'm looking for an inexpensive 12er.

That said, I went on the brewery tour in Tampa and it was a bit of an eye opener. Nestled out of the way of the casual observer, I saw pallets of 50 gallon drums of caramel coloring. Uh??? Errrrr?

They told us that bottles and cans are pasturized, while kegs are not. That gave a buddy and I an idea after the tour for our free beer samples. We wanted to sample the lager on draught and from a bottle to see what differences were discernable due to pasteurizing (at that moment not giving a second thought to the skunking from the glass). The skunk aroma was completely overpowering from the bottle.

The tour guide told us that they realize that the green bottle skunks the beer but that the marketing department insists on green. Low and behold, four suits from marketing were sitting where they could overhear us. The tour guide had never sampled the two side by side and even she was dumbfounded by the difference. It is sad to think of how skunked this beer was considering that it never even left their property. It was never carted into a store, never sat on a brightly light cooler shelf. All so that it looks like a super fancy import like Heineken?? I will never understand the logic.
    VictorWisc likes this.
  6. Tut

A very quick search turned up a claim by Beachfirebrews that "it's an excellent lager" and Crackerroll said "it's a great beer". I'm not taking those statements out of context, like they were really saying "it's a great beer when your only other choice is BMC". There are other similar statements throughout the thread.

I disagree. I thinks it's lousy. Why is it fine for people to make claims like I quoted, but not for me to state my contrary opinion???
  7. This thread was started in March. Wow, that was quite some time ago.

The OP stated:

“I have tried it many times (the traditional lager), mostly in bottle, and I just don't get it.

Now, I know there are some people that have affection for this beer, so I won't blast it too bad, but man I can't stand the taste of it. I did have it on tap at Disney World last year (it was this or Miller lite or some other garbage) and it was drinkable, but I would never buy it for myself.

So what's the deal with this stuff?”

How is this for irony? After 350+ posts the OP knew the answer all along:

· Yuengling Lager is a better choice than BMC alternatives

· Yuengling Lager is “drinkable”

Cheers to the OP for knowing the answer all along!
    Profchaos20 and RichardMNixon like this.
  8. It is when all your parents drank was Corona and Bud Lite, leading you to believe you simply disliked beer. :oops:

When having a conversation, it usually helps if both people are talking about the same thing.

Because rather than simply stating your opinion, you also felt the need to insult everyone who didn't share it.
  9. “I will never understand the logic.” Unfortunately there is logic here called money. For stupid, historical reasons green bottles represent prestige and green bottles sell for Yuengling.

If you are interested in purchasing packaged Yuengling beer, buy cans.

You can read more below:

Here's what Yuengling says about its use of green bottles:

Thanks for your recent inquiry regarding our usage of green glass.

We make 7 year round beer brands and 1 seasonal Bock Beer. Currently, 2 are offered in green glass.....Lager and Lord Chesterfield Ale. The others are in a standard brown.

Your questions are great...let me address a few as I go. First, green is definitely not less expensive. It's actually harder to source in the quantities we need.

Originally, when Dick Yuengling reintroduced Lager in 1987, he placed it in brown glass and had a very different label designed than what we know today. In the early 1990s he decided to redesign the packaging entirely.....he knew he had a great beer that was different than other full calorie beers on the market at the time. But the brown glass and original label just didn't make it look "special". It looked like every other beer on the market. There was no point of difference.

When the label was redesigned to what we know today, Dick also considered a change to green glass. First, no other domestic brand was in green. Miller High Life was in clear. So was MGD back then. But the "special" beers of that time were mainly imports. Becks, St Pauli, Lowenbrau, etc. All green glass.

So the shift to green was a marketing shift.....a point of difference for this special beer.

You are accurate....green is less protective of the product than brown. We have been working closely with our glass supplier who has developed a UV coating to apply to the outside of the bottle. This is in early stages of development. We are also considering a "high wall" six pack carrier to protect the bottles on the shelf. But there are also other packaging considerations to sort through. But the bottom line is that it's always a concern to protect the integrity of our products. Luckily, our Lager turns very quickly on the shelf so we rarely get complaints about this product. We do sometimes get off taste feedback on chesterfield ale, which we make good to our customers on a case by case basis.

With all that said, cans are actually the best vessel for packaged beer. Very many craft breweries are figuring that out now. Luckily nearly all of our brands are available in cans.

Thanks again for the email and for your support of our brewery!

http://beer.kaedrin.com/2011/09/why-do-breweries-use-green-bottles.html

10. You can have whatever opinion you like. It has no relevance to what this thread is about though. The OP was looking for an understanding of why this beer gets hyped by some people. Your opinion added nothing to his understanding.
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  11. Jesus F.H.C!!! {facepalm} {gag} What a load of horseshit!:eek::eek::eek:

OK... All better now. Have an intemperate urge to buy a case of that distinctive Yuengling... Or Rolling Rock... Or something... Yummmm! Green bottles!...

Thank God, Yuengling is not distributed around Boston. It's the only thing standing in my way of becoming a zombie... or Homer Simpson:confused:
    Tut likes this.
  12. fezzman

fezzman Aficionado (145) Florida Oct 18, 2006

The UV coating is at least a step in the right direction, given their stubbornness on the issue. There may have been a time when green set it apart enough but in today's market I have to wonder if that logic is a bit dated.

The high wall six pack is just plain silly. The beer is skunked right off of the bottling line so six pack is akin to shooting a dead horse.
  13. “Have an intemperate urge to buy a case of that distinctive Yuengling...”

I would recommend that you buy a suitcase of canned Yuengling Lager.

Cheers!
  14. I'm going to go and get a 12 of Torpedo right now to drown my disappointment. Seeing how hops are a relative of marijuana, I'm sure I'll forget all about Yuengling in time...

15. As we've previously discussed, that statement from Yuengling is incorrect in two ways. First, the original bottle (a sort of hybrid between a traditional longneck and the "heritage" shape used by Sierra Nevada and others) for Yuengling Traditional Lager with the old design label was green. In fact, all three of their "crafty" beers at the time (Ale, Porter, Lager) used that green throw-away bottle - Yuengling Premium and Yuengling Light were still in stubbies (below image taken from a 1988/9 Yuengling promo pamphlet):

[​IMG]

And, two, a number of US brewers used green bottles- the most obvious being Yuengling's larger (at the time) local Pennsylvania competition, Latrobe Brewing Co. for their Rolling Rock brand. Other greenies included another local PA beer, Straub, Heileman Special Export, and many US ales - Ballantine XXX and IPA, Rainier Ale, Little Kings, etc.
  16. I remember lions head from years ago. You could walk into a bar with $5, drink lions head all day, and still have change left over.
  17. 1fJef

1fJef Aficionado (175) Maryland May 4, 2013

The Black and Tan is a go to when fundage is as low as the temps
    $8.99-$9.99/ 12 pack
    a little thin but nice roasty malt flavor
  18. Tut

Anyone who's been on BA for awhile knows every thread has many deviations from the original post or question. People state their opinions on any number of tangential issues. Plenty of people here have simply stated why they like Yeungling - that doesn't address the original hype question either, but you don't chastise them for "adding nothing to the OP's understanding."

You just don't like my negative opinion of Yeungling.
  19. Yuengling is a relative you enjoy catching up with at the family reunion, but have no contact with for the remainder of the year. What I mean to say is that Yuengling is okay. I don't seek it out, but I have had many great nights of drinking with it (especially in college). I could name dozens of craft lagers that I like more, but I can also highlight nearly as many BMC products that make Yuengling taste like a drink of the gods. Yuengling is alright...nothing more, nothing less.
  20. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Let this thread die already.
    paulys55 likes this.
  21. Tut

Then stop posting on it already.
  22. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

No need to get all huffy with me, chap. I agree that its not a "quality" beer.
    VictorWisc likes this.
  23. Tut

I wasn't being huffy - I should have included a :)
    utopiajane and Derranged like this.
  24. I'm a fan of the shandy, but my gut tells me that "the deal" is hometown hero affection, like the Northeast for Narragansett.
  25. I personally don't care what you opinion of yeungling, or any other beer is. I don't know you, so your opinion has no value to me, but feel free to carry on with your persecution complex.
  26. Tut

For someone who claims he doesn't care what my opinion of Yeungling is, you've certainly been spending a lot of time responding to my posts where I stated it.

Do you really feel my last response to you was an attempt at persecution?

Please explain how - I'm very curious how you're going to try and lay that on me. :rolleyes:
  27. drtth

drtth Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

No, he's saying you're the one with the persecution complex. And your replies here support his belief.
    JackHorzempa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.