1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yuengling: What says you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by C63AMG, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

In my opinion, the best of the "green bottled" beers. However, always better on tap.

2. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Well said.

3. Only have had Yuengling a few times when I drove across the country with my wife. WE both thought is was a nice beer (traditional lager), nothing crazy but we did like it.

4. Shit, I had no idea they even made an Octoberfest. If I see it during the season, I'll have to give it a try. Yuengling is what it is, a decent, easy drinking brew with decent flavor, cheap and good to have when you don't wanna think about what you're drinking. First time I had it, I was in York, Pa and I was in a dive bar with my buddy drinking a Molson. He asked me if I had ever had a Yuengling and said no, I never heard of it. He suggested I try one, the bar we were at was selling them for $1, so I figured what could the harm be. I was surprised at how good it was, certainly better than the Molson I was drinking and miles beyond BMC. Theres always room for Yuengling in my fridge.

5. As others have pointed out, their Black & Tan isn't bad for the price

6. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

I havent had it in probably 3 years and I only had one bottle of it, but it wasnt 1/2 bad. Prefer it to a standard BMC beer.

Cheers!

7. I enjoy a Yuengling Traditional Lager and will gladly take one when it's offered, or there's no craft on-tap. Around here anyway, you can always count on Yuengling being on.

8. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (570) Florida Sep 13, 2011

When I go out and the selections are Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite, Yuengling and Michelob Ultra I'll go with Yuengling every time. It's not bad at all. I don't buy six packs or anything but it's way more superior than all the above choices IMO.

9. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (385) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

I grew up in SE PA, so Yuengling holds a special place in my heart. In the mid to late 90s, when they were expanding was the same time I started drinking beer, and the ubiquitous Lager was an easy place to start. It literally was everywhere, it was reasonably priced, and it tasted (and still does) better than BMC. I believe it's allure comes from it's regional availability and the strong fan base in it's home area (PA-NJ-DE). For craft beer drinkers, it will never live up to the hype because the bulk of the fan base (i.e. those hyping it) are not primarily craft beer drinkers.

At the end of the day, I think they make pretty good beer for what it is and who they are marketing to, i.e. the masses. I love being able to have a Lager or three whenever I'm back in SE PA visiting friends and family.

10. With cases of Yuengling being around 20 and 1/2 kegs of Yuengling Premium for 55.
    It's like a sore peter, you can't beat it.

CurtFromHershey likes this.
  11. Yuengling produces the best AAL, which is sort of like placing first in the special olympics. Lots of people appreciate it for what it is, while others simply can't get past the limitations of the style. C63AMG seems to fall into the latter category.

It's inexpensive, American-owned, and along with PBR, it's the only AAL I can (situationally) enjoy.

12. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

I would love to love it - but I can't. It's a pretty lousy lager. Apart from their bock, I haven't tried their other brews, despite the often seen Yuengling trucks barreling through midtown all week long....the trucks showcasing their entire year round line-up, which entices me....but the taste of their lager and the ratings here always convince me otherwise

13. JoolyGoodFellow

I'm pretty certain it's not an adjunct lager...but I may be wrong. I'd take a Schaefer or Coors Banquet over it.

14. It isn't categorized as an AAL here, but there are definitely adjuncts in Yuengling. (It appears to be corn.)

American + Adjunct + Lager = AAL

15. JoolyGoodFellow

I stand corrected. Thank you

16. I 100% agree with ShanePB’s statement of: “I enjoy a Yuengling Traditional Lager and will gladly take one when it's offered, or there's no craft on-tap”

I found the below story concerning the introduction of Yuengling into Ohio that was published in the Feb./March Mid-Atlantic Brewing News Editorial interesting:

“There were press reports of beer drinkers pitching tents overnight outside the Beer Dock east liquor mart in suburban Columbus so they were the first in line to buy cases of Yuengling Traditional Lager, Light Lager, and Black & Tan.”

Yuengling is the new ‘cult’ beer!?!

Cheers!

ShanePB likes this.
  17. It's like some other have said. It's part of PA culture, they're independently owned, it's as cheap as BMC and you can't confuse it for sparkling water with some sort of off taste thrown in. I tried their B&T the other day and that was pretty good too. It's not something I'd buy for myself, because I really don't drink beer for the sake of beer and it's not super flavorful, but it beats the hell out of any BMC. Especially good for a cookout or to offer to guests or people who aren't adventurous.

Bottom line: great for the money, and I'll never buy BMC but I'd buy Yuengling.

18. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (360) Florida Jan 26, 2012

local eaterys and bars carry the regulars on tap. yuengling it is. always damn good

19. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

The style is not really up my alley, but it was good for what it is. Is it good enough to be hyped like it is? I don't think so, but everyone has their taste differences.

20. I'm a PA transplant and it was one of the first beers I tried after my change to legal drinking age, I've sampled pretty much all of their stuff and just have not found one that I get into. I don't hate on those that dig it, there are far worst things out there, and I understand the local pride for it but come on. In Pittsburgh, at least, we have much better local beer to be drinking.

21. I used to drink a lot of Lager.....a whole lot before my palate was awakened by Ruination. Now I can drink it, but I prefer not to. If I were to buy a case of Yuengling, no question it would be the Lord Chesterfield Ale, I think that's their best beer (nice little hop kick).

22. Seriously, people like it because of a variety of reasons. It's "local" for the PA crowd, it's affordable, it is American-owned, it's the "Oldest" in the country, it's in an attractive green bottle...you name it, I am sure there is someone who likes it for that reason.

23. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Some people from certain east coast areas can't help but hype it, but literally it is pretty bad, no better than bmc, just better marketed towards craft drinkers.

24. Yuengling Lager is not marketed to craft beer drinkers.

Yuengling Lager is an American Adjunct Lager and the majority of people who drink are folks who would otherwise be drinking BMC products. One advantage of Yuengling Lager is that is does indeed have more character than typical BMC products: there is a noticeable maltiness to this beer.

I think Thorpe428 summarizes it perfectly in his review:

“Much, much better than the American lagers put out by BMC, and a nice beer to sit back with if you're going to have more than a few, or simply want to sit back lazily with something comfortable.”

Cheers!

25. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (650) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

I says "Nay."

DanE and beerme411 like this.
  26. Yeah, had a drink of a friends tonight while out, still can't stand the stuff.
    Was very happy to return to my Victory Brewing made beverage.

27. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (470) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

The traditional is too malty sweet for me. The premium is a bit smoother drinking without the sweetness of the traditional. That's what my tastebuds tell me, anyway.

28. Disagree, it's absolutely better than BMC and it's absolutely not marketed towards craft drinkers.

If you can get your hands on a Lord Chesterfield, try that. Not as sweet as the Lager, but much, much better than their cheaper Premium. It actually has some hoppiness to it and I think it's their best beer.

29. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (470) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

I'll check it out....tx.

30. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

if you did a blind taste test it wouldn't win, it maybe isn't marketed towards craft drinkers but it is marketed in a fashion that craft drinkers would drink it simply because it isn't bmc.

31. This is why I go to Disneyland/Ca adventure in CA because they serve real IPA's in the park

32. Seems like it is hard to appreciate a good lager in the last decade.

33. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

To me, Yuengling tastes like Budweiser if you accidentally got a little too much malt in it.

34. tolar111

tolar111 Advocate (665) New York Aug 17, 2008

I say it tastes like caramel colored corn, better off with Genny, cheaper too!

35. Thats not a bad thing IMHO

36. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Meh, it's not offensive or anything. In fact it tastes pretty good compared to the BMC beer out there. It's just definitely along the same lines.

37. It is what it is- a lot of people love this stuff. Personally it's a tier of beer I don't enjoy to visit-

38. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (525) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

A solid option at a BMC price, but more traditional than groundbreaking. Really enjoy the Porter, I'm hoping they start sending it and Lord Chesterfield to the buckeye state soon. The bock was okay, I prefer Genesee's bock taste wise instead. The Black and Tan was pretty underwhelming overall, though to be fair a black n tan is best made at home as everyone's palate is different and I find most bottled black n tans to be average @ best

39. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

People here in OH are going crazy for it since it started being distributed here; those who don't really drink craft think it's the best beer in the world. My wife buys it quite a bit because she likes it so I have one every once and a while. I don't really care for it but the Traditional Lager is better than BMC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.