1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yuengling: What says you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by C63AMG, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuengling Lager: $4.99/6pack, $8.99/12pack, $15.49/case, $93.99/keg
    Black and Tan: $4.99/6pack, $8.99/12pack
    Yuengling Porter: $5.99/6pack
    Yuengling Light: $4.99/6pack, $15.49/case
    Yuengling Premium: $12.99/case
    Lord Chesterfield: $5.99/6pack

2. Can't drink the stuff. Burned out on it years ago. The craft beer revolution came just in time.

baconman91 and kpanter like this.
  3. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

I myself find this horrible!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

4. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

It's a really solid beer for cheap. IMO thats the beginning and end of it. Not my favorite beer by any stretch, but good value for the price.

SethsmokesMeth likes this.
  5. zsk

zsk Aficionado (190) Ohio Jan 13, 2006

Well... hearing what other BAs say is always entertaining, but really ......who cares? If you like it drink it, If not..go back to whatever.

mwar likes this.
  6. Nicked

Nicked Aficionado (160) Maryland Nov 8, 2010

It's my summer beer. Yuengling recalls memories of college and good friends. I've had dozens of better tasting brews, but Yuengling has a special place in my beer hall of heroes.

Has anyone had Yuengling Bock Beer? I haven't seen it for sale at any of my usual haunts...

ESeab likes this.
  7. mjw52

mjw52 Aficionado (165) New Jersey Jul 14, 2010

I can go into a store in NJ and buy a case for $15. Or I could buy a case of Coors Light for the same price. When your BBQing in the summertime it just hits the spot. Light enough to drink all day, yet heavy enough to taste like beer. I wouldn't pay $30/case, but for $15? Its a done deal.

SethsmokesMeth and ESeab like this.
  8. Beezee

Beezee Savant (310) Illinois Jan 29, 2010

I like the memories. Many styles that work well with hot summer weather.

9. This says it all. It's slightly more expensive for me because I'm in the state it's brewed in. PA can suck it. $9.99 a 12 and more like $17-19 a case, but not bad. It's way better than that BMC swill, and it's basically the same price. It's also independently owned, which I like. I don't buy it, but it's the only cheap beer I'll occasionally drink instead of water.

10. I grew up drinking Yuengling. Before I discovered craft beer it was one of the only beers I could stand to drink. I still enjoy one every now and then when I'm visiting my parents and we go to dinner. It tastes great with pizza.

CurtFromHershey likes this.
  11. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Savant (470) New York Sep 4, 2006

It's not anywhere near as cheap as it use to be, so "the love is gone" so to speak.

12. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

Yup, when I go home to Pa, I always can count on there being Yuengling. I'm really glad too, because there is always a lack of craft brews around.

13. I had a bottle of Yuengling Bock a few weeks ago. Just like other Yuengling beers it is not an ‘exciting’ beer but considering the price it is a good beer for what it is.

My local beer distributor has many cases of it but I live in PA.

Cheers!

14. I recently picked up a mix and match 6er and got one to give it a shot because I have yuengling memories as well. It tastes very similar to the lager imo.

15. Tut

Tut Savant (400) New York Sep 23, 2004

It's not that it's hard to appreciate a good lager, it's that Yuengling isn't a very good one. It's crap(thin, bland, flavorless) compared to Great Lakes lager offerings.

16. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

The Yueng is somewhat overhyped by people who do not have access to it. I have friends who moved to non-Yuengling states and they always complain about it. I love it for what it is: a ubiquitous, fairly flavorful, easy-drinking lager you can get for $3 a pint. Regardless of our love for craft, most Pennsylvanians have a warm place in their hearts for Yuengling. It's a working man's beer.

17. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

Indeed. I don't know anyone who drinks craft that would call Yuengling great tasting, but a great beer for the working/college man and a summer staple indeed. It may be overhyped by some, but in a BMC world, Yuengling is king

18. dgs

dgs Aficionado (195) Pennsylvania Jul 18, 2005

"When the label was redesigned to what we know today, Dick also considered a change to green glass. First, no other domestic brand was in green."

Rolling Rock?

I enjoyed Yuengling (Traditional Lager, mostly) during the 80s/90s, in part because it was a small, local alternative to the big guys. My tastes in beer changed since then, but so did Yuengling's business. As a long time PA resident, I prefer not to support them.

19. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (570) Florida Sep 13, 2011

Yuengling is not that bad of a brew at all. I'll drink it over a lot of "normal" bar beers.

20. its not distributed in my area but when i do ha e the chance to drink it i usually do.

21. Ha, ha, yeah (and the largest PA brewer at the time, too).

... and Straub, Special Export, Augsburger (was probably brown by then and a Stroh brand), Champale, Haffenreffer PS ML and most every US pre-craft ale (Ballantine, Little Kings, McSorley's, Rainier, Black Horse, 12 Horse) including, of course, Yuengling's own Lord Chesterfield Ale, which came in both green deposits and green stubby throw-aways (altho' occasionally it came in brown returnables 12 oz., and once was in stubby returnable quarts). Which is why I always figured they eventually used green for the Traditional Lager- they already used the bottle. (I remember them briefly using the green bottle for the Porter, too, around that time).

22. Its a good beer for parties, I drink it at the bar as I think it tastes better on tap. I actually like Lord Chesterfield better which is there ale. Chetty is great during a hot day of mowing

23. Nicked

Nicked Aficionado (160) Maryland Nov 8, 2010

Nice! I'll continue keeping an eye out for it... in the mean time, I'm going to get down with some IPA and pizza!

24. JNewbs

JNewbs Aficionado (230) Ohio Apr 20, 2009

I say NAY! I was... forced... to drink a case of it at my bachelor party. Hilarity did not ensue.

25. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Perfect locker-room beer after a hockey game.

26. That "story" does not jive with the historic record. Here's a photo from a Yuengling promo booklet, circa late 1980's, so right after Yuengling Traditional Lager was released (1987) and still using the original "dull" label, and it, along with Porter and Lord Chesterfield, was packaged in green "Heritage" style bottles.

[​IMG]

At the time, their other beers came in long neck returnables (green for LCA only) and brown US-style stubby throw-aways.

27. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Growing up in Pa many years ago it was the "cheap" beer, like Reading, like Gibbons, like Blatz. Now it's cool to drink and very popular in NC, a major Coup for the Yuengling family, and it's not cheap anymore. It's ok, but to be honest I like a cold crisp Miller Lite better.

28. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

The plot thickens!

29. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Canned it's a great beer. Even in the bottle its not bad. We don't get it in St. Louis but I enjoy drinking it when I'm back East or in Florida.

30. This stuff's supreme out of kegs!

31. beerhan

beerhan Savant (400) Ohio Apr 28, 2010

Loved Yuengling when it was not available in Ohio. It used to be a super tasty beer for warm weather but no other time. When it came here, I tried it and really did not care...That being said for the price, it is a lot better than all things in its price range.

Even though I am not a big fan of the normal version, I have sort of made it tradition to grab a 22oz black and tan for $2.22 on Tuesdays when I go for wing night. I am not sure why but call it a place bias or whatever but with my wings that beer is delicious.

The thing about this beer is that it is terrible compared to most of the beers people on here drink but hey it could be worse and it's still cheap and its a lot better than good ol' red white and blue cans

32. Much love for Yuengling.

33. The lager is a bad beer, period. I don't really care about the price point, and while it may be marginally better than BMC, it is still clearly 1-dimensional, flavorless mediocrity and I won't pay money for it.

34. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

It is very drinkable, and can be enjoyed in the right mood, but I hate it for the passion that some people from PA have for it

IPA4LIFE likes this.
  35. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I don't drink it, not bad, but if I'm drinking BMC stuff I go to Miller Lite.

36. You do realize that my post that you're quoting is from March of 2012?

It wasn't a "lie!" then - the bottled version wouldn't be released until six months after I wrote that.
    Yuengling Oktoberfest to be Bottled

beertunes and CurtFromHershey like this.
  37. LOL sorry, too early in the day for me to notice that.

So let me try again... Truths!

benart likes this.
  38. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

I'll call it "serviceable". This is usually the go to when I bring beer to parties where I know there are only bmc drinkers. It's easily attainable 'round these parts and at most bars or restaurants where they don't bother with craft. If I find myself in such establishments, it's my go to. Best of the bottom rung.

39. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

This was my go to before I became a geek. Now I only consider them a decent macro who happen to make superior stuff in terms of bud, miller, coors, etc. And $4.99 a 6 pk? Here it is $7.99 a six pack. Great lakes is $7.99 a six pack. So you can imagine if it came down to the 2 which one I'd buy. I tend to buy a 6 pack of it a year due to some of my company can't drink craft beer. I tried their Oktoberfest and it was pretty below average if you me. Sorry but I'll be giving the majority of my hard earned money to the brewers who go out of their way to make the best beer

Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.