1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yuengling: What says you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by C63AMG, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had it draft in Naples, FL about 4 1/2 years ago and thought it was pretty good, but being back in that area this past summer I had some cans and thought it was pretty terrible.
  2. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (295) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

I think it's a very good "regular" beer...plus somewhat unique to have in your fridge in Wis., since no dist. up here.
  3. We call it Vitamin Y. I live in CT and have to drive to NY to get it. I have it on tap at my house most of the time, running alongside something more crafty. Lager is a good basic beer for those who aren't into craft beers yet still want a little flavor. The Porter while not a good option for those who want traditional porter, is very drinkable and has hints of classic porter flavors. At 4+% ABV you can drink it all night. I regularly tap Lager and Porter, and have had Black & Tan on once. A quarter keg runs less than logs of most craft beers so it is a good low cost option.
    vader06 likes this.
  4. Last night I was at a bar with a weak beer selection, and they were out of my first two options, Blue Moon and Samuel Adams Boston Lager. I ordered a Yuengling Lager and was content. It's not great, but it was better than the BMC options. And if it siphons sales away from BMC, great! Unlike BMC, it's a true "domestic" beer in terms of ownership.
    CharlatanSin likes this.
  5. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Crap, in my humble opinion. So sick of visiting the in-laws in NJ and visiting restaurants with BMC, Yuengling and Sam.
  6. I'm a huge supporter of DG Yuengling and Sons and all of their malt beverage endeavors. I didn't get to try the Oktoberfest when it came out though, and I'm super salty about it.

Yuengling lager is cheap, easy drinking, generally agreeable on the palate across the board with most beer drinkers, and a permanent standby in my fridge as a go to session beer. The porters and black and tans are also good outings for an extremely low price. I wish they distributed their premium beer a bit better around my area, it generally doesn't make it's way down here too often :(
  7. And as an added bonus, according to multiple articles and personal experiences, Dick Yuengling's three favorite beers are
    1) Yuengling Traditional Lager
    2) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    3) Brooklyn Brown Ale
    At a beer industry function last year, Dick bought the whole place (20-30 people) a round of SNPA!
  8. vader06

vader06 Aficionado (205) Michigan Jan 13, 2011

I live in Michigan so Yuengling is not distributed here. I do have a few sources who can acquire it for me. I think Yuengling is a good beer. I do like a lot of the craft beers out there but I would take Yuengling over Bud, Coors or Miller.
  9. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Illinois Jan 3, 2013

The bar I would frequent in Philly had $1 yeungling pint nights. Those got out of hand fast. Yeungling was a great beer to break out of the BMC mold when I was 21. Cheap enough, tastier than BMC, light enough to drink several on a summer afternoon/night. I don't usually throw back like that anymore, but I still think it was a solid choice given those priorities.
  10. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

We dont have distribution of Yuengling in NH. However, this doesn't stop at least one person calling and asking about it every time I'm working at the local craft beer store. And for the record, no, we don't have Heady Topper either.
  11. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Yuengling is my safety beer. Meaning if I go in a restaurant and all they have is BMC and Yuengling I'll be happy drinking a Yuengling.
    Stahlsturm and lostandwandering like this.
  12. Still buy it. Still drink it. Still like it.

Miss those 22oz brown bottles though, they were the best. Seems to only be in 22oz cans these days.
    vader06 likes this.
  13. I bought about a case on the octoberfest and I have to say it was solid. Keep an eye out for it next year, its certainly worth the price. Cheers.
    Feel_the_Darkness likes this.
  14. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

Agree completely. I don't believe all these guys who sing it's praises. Discerning palates are becoming fewer here. We need a new division to accommodate all the Yuengling and BMC drinkers that are joining BA. It should be called CrapBeeradvocate!
  15. This to a T.
  16. Bad beer, bad company, this site is really going downhill if we are talking about this piss. Lets start a thread about golden anniversary next or natty ice...maybe high life lite! It is an overrated, frat party, cheap beer. PERIOD!
    Tut likes this.
  17. Being in college, I can't always afford $10 six packs and this is my go to beer. For $14 a case here, it is cheaper than almost anything else and available at almost every bar/restaurant for about $2.50. As soon as spring rolls around this is my go to pool beer.
  18. NorCalYeti

NorCalYeti Savant (340) California Dec 18, 2008

don't know...friend of mine is from penn. and she loves the stuff...now that she's out on the west coast she can't get it. i'm with you...don't understand the hype...guess it's an above average lager...i'll pass.
  19. I have tried the Lager and Porter. Both were meh. Better than BMC but not too great.
  20. Never could understand the following this beer has. Not terrible, just not anything above average.
  21. I've never seen it here in Michigan, but my neighbor somehow got a hold of a 12 pack of the Traditional Lager and he gave me one. It was good for what it was, but nothing special.
  22. It's popular because, for most people that have access to it, it is the main stepping stone from BMC to really good craft beer. It's not that it's some world class super beer. The context of it is in comparison to BMC.
    RichardMNixon likes this.
  23. basscram

basscram Savant (355) Florida Mar 29, 2006

What says I. I say Wonderful in cans and always buy 24, Can't beat the taste on tap in a pitcher at one of your favorite common bars because it is better than bud,miller,coors,shocktop( If they got Amber Bock I'll retract that statement cause I'm a fan of Amber Bock).. Their other styles are not too shabby. I like the taste of it. Easy to drink. As far as the company goes, I hope they continue on for years to come. I'm a fan
  24. Wow, that's conceited and ridiculous haha
  25. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I used to drink the SHIT out of Yuengling Traditional Lager & Black and Tan when I was in college. That stuff just flowed out of our fridge. I still love getting it on draft when I visit my parents back in Florida.

Cheap, solid, sessionable beers at low prices.

I'd go as far as to say that Yuengling was the beer that originally got me into craft beer.
  26. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Black & Tan is ok, Porter is ok, Lager is pretty bad, overall I tend to avoid them which is easy in Kentucky. I get people asking about them all the time though, sorry people but just because it isn't available in your state doesn't mean it is good.
    Stahlsturm likes this.

27. Not in comparison to BMC it's not and that's what the "hype" is really about and what people that say it's "good beer" are generally comparing it to to make that assesment. If your choices at a bar/resturant are Budweiser, Coors Light, MGD and Yeungling Lager, well you can see what the simple choice is. You have to understand, prior to the last five years or so, these were the kind of choices you got at a bar in central PA (hell you still do at a lot of places).
  28. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I'm not above brands such as Yuengling. They have there place, just not in my fridge.

I'd rather drink Narragansett personally. Style for style they knock Yuengling down in the world of cheap beer
  29. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

That's an insult to Fat Tire, which happens to be a decent beer, and serves well in keeping less beer centric people within the craft fold
  30. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Savant (420) Germany Mar 21, 2005

When I'm in the North East Yüngling Black&Tan and Moosehead are my staple beers when I can't score something more exotic. A bit like Augustiner in Bavaria.
  31. I was at Disney World and someone in front of me asked what's a Youngling. I said that's a little Jedi but Yeungling is a beer. She looked at me like my face was on fire...
  32. Nothing beats a pint of Yuengling and a snifter of Makers Mark
  33. I went to school with a Yuengling (no relation to the brewery's family that I knew of) and that's how he pronounced it - YOUNG-ling.

Similar to the different pronunciations of Koch by Jim of BBC, Greg of Stone (even Fred of Dunkirk, NY) versus Ed, former NYC mayor.
  34. Living in NE PA I was raised on this stuff, saw them develop Lager and Black and Tan - but grew up on the Premium, Lord Chesterfield, the Porter and the Bock for a reginal brew that has survived/ ney thrived in spite of the big boys, they remain family owned and operated - Ya gotta love it and give them credit thoug I will admit the Premium has always ben a love it or hate it kind of beer when someone trys it.
  35. I says it's just like any other American Adjunct Lager, a style I don't care for and don't drink. I tried some at a community event about a year ago and couldn't finish the glass. The Porter is OK but a little watery IMO.
  36. antilite

antilite Aficionado (160) Florida Jan 1, 2012

I married a Koch girl from Ohio. They say "coke", which, to me, is better than "kotch", both of which, in my opinion, are better than the anatomical pronunciation.
  37. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Doesn't do anything for me (Ifind it to be a light, inoffensive, fairly watery lager). From what I can tell, I get the impression that a lot of folks appreciate Yuengling for it's local/regional ties to the area, with a lot of folks having something of a nostalgic feeling for the beer (as it's been around for such a long time). I didn't grow up with Yuengling, and as I'm not a big fan of light lagers, it's not a beer I appreciate.

I confess I do have a difficult time understanding those folks who profess undying love and adoration for Yuengling (the lager in particular), but then I'm equally puzzled by those folks who liken it to the swill made by BMC. While I'm not fan of Yuengling lager, IMHO, it's clearly superior to the adjunct lagers made by the big boys.
  38. All the Koch brewers, AFIAK, pronounce it "Cook". My favorite aspect of that is, during the era when brewers often had diminutive nicknames for their 7 oz. bottles, Fred Koch Brewing Co. called theirs "Kookies".
  39. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

their porter was ok, but they can have that lager they make.
  40. abkayak

abkayak Savant (310) New York Jan 8, 2013

I'm 4 months into my ocd beer nondisorder.....heard about this company for 20 years w/out trying anything. grabbed a black and tan figuring this would be giving them an ample opportunity to impress...never made it to the 2nd oz....couldn’t think of a reason to continue
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.