1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yuengling: What says you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by C63AMG, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had one for the first time in over a year a few months ago and I was reminded that it really isn't that bad. It's one of those beers I won't pay for but would definitely drink if it was free. Their Black and Tan isn't terrible either.

2. Squidly

Squidly Savant (435) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

It's my "rescue" beer at bars with nothing else but BMC. That and a long, sentimental history. We go way back.

Hockey_Fan likes this.
  3. rousee

rousee Advocate (520) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2004

Its decent enough--I usually get it for the track at Saratoga. They dont allow glass in so I usually get a 12er of Yuengling cans and a six of craft cans (Mamas yella pils or Avery's Joe's American Pilsner)

4. Overrated crap

5. You are right – I also find their interpretation of Porter and Black/Tan to be good (at best) - but everything else Yuengling does is so miniscule when looking at the big picture.

Take Sierra Nevada for example. They advertise whole cone hops and all-malt in most of their brews; and they have a way bigger portfolio than Yuengling does – and a very affordable one at that.

Yuengling advertises the use of corn on their website (see link below). And the fact Yuengling has recently discovered that seasonal offerings are proven to generate temporary market share, is no reason for me to suddenly start seeking out their versions of Bock or Oktoberfest; given their complete disregard for quality beer with actual substance (beer made with barley).

Bottom line is that Yuengling is no better that all the other BMC swill out there. The only reason they secured the title of ‘America’s Oldest Brewery’ is because they were able to manipulate their survival through prohibition before any of the other big American brewing corporations could. Yuengling turned into a creamery during prohibition for good sakes; and were bought and sold numerous times with various name changes.

http://www.yuengling.com/our_beer/process.html

6. First beer I remember having was a Yuengling Black and Tan. Their beers have sentimental value and aren't that bad. As anybody from eastern PA knows, whenever you go into a bar and ask for a "lager," they give you a Yuengling. Simple as that.

7. Not quite sure what that last section (underlined) means, but Yuengling was but one of some 600 or so US breweries that survived and reopened after Prohibition. One of which was the Boston Beer Co., founded in 1828 and closed in 1956 - at which time Yuengling then could claim the title of "America's Oldest Brewery".

Many US breweries started side businesses during Prohibition - AB had dozens of side products (bakers yeast, malt syrup), Pabst sold cheese, Stroh made ice cream, and many breweries bottled soft drinks, near beer and canned malt syrup. Yuengling's dairy was across the street from the brewery, but the brewery continued to brew beer and remove the alcohol to legally sell it as a cereal beverage (near beer) as did most of the breweries which were ready to supply 3.2 beer on April 9, 1933.

The brewery has been sold several times, but always to the next generation of the Yuengling family.

GeddyLeeRocks likes this.

8. Ok - so for the record jesskidden is a huge Yuengling fan. Good lord do you live in Pottsville, PA or something?

9. ScottUCF84

ScottUCF84 Savant (255) Florida Apr 7, 2006

I'll take it over BMC or if I'm trying to save some money and just want a session beer or two at a bar. Maybe buy a 12 pack for a bbq or tailgate. Maybe... but with Sierra Nevada cans out mostly everywhere for a couple bucks more (12.99 for 12 at Total Wine)... I find myself buying less Yuengling even for events and parties. Lately I've really been picking up on the corn in it, especially after drinking something a bit more flavorful. I find that's what is most off-putting about it.

A few times a year I find myself playing beer pong, and definitely prefer the stuff over Natural Light, BMC etc. I personally believe craft beer drinkers and beer pong can coexist, it's just a game after all (and as long as you aren't wasting good beer on it)

Yuengling is weird because I find myself defending it to beer snobs, but talking it down to those that treat it like it's nectar of the gods. To me it is what it is, a decent lager that is widely available and that I mostly enjoy. It's my backup plan. I find myself in many positions where that's all there is when I'm out specifically for a beer, and it has definitely been a site for sore eyes out in the middle of nowhere. I will drink it over liquor, can't say the same for BMC.

CraftBeerTastic likes this.
  10. Not particularly (in the past 2 decades I've bought one sixpack each of their two new products, the Bock and Oktoberfest. Other than that - nothing).

One doesn't have to be a fan of a brewery to recognize such inaccuracies.

11. Duly noted: but my facts are from the Yuengling website, which seems to be down at the moment. http://www.yuengling.com/our_beer/process.html

12. http://www.yuengling.com/ < This works for me. Don't know why your link is in-op. I stand by my post, not sure where you get your interpretation of some of those statements I challenged.

For one, their "Timeline" clearly states that in 1920 the dairy was built across the street from the brewery and for 1929 that near beer was the only product of the brewery.

13. ScottUCF84

Very insightful. We need more of you in the world.

14. The world could only be so lucky. Feel free to tell me more of my opinions are wrong according to you.:)

CraftBeerTastic likes this.
  15. ScottUCF84

Never said you were wrong, but going to ignore the fact that you called that statement an actual opinion.

16. How can a true beer advocate not appreciate a well crafted lager? You must have run far and fast from BMC and never looked back. Don't write off entire styles because American corporations love profits and mass production over amazing beer.

17. This.

18. Ok - all biased opinions aside - I know a well as anyone from Eastern PA that Yuengling has a very strong foothold on the market and has become so engrained into certain people's heads throughout generations, that Yuengling has somehow become the poster child for ‘Lager’. Trust me, my brother-in-law is one of those misled beer drinkers, and only because his dad drank the stuff, like his granddad before him…. Lets all just face it – Yuengling may have been the ‘gold standard’ during prohibition, but there is a whole new standard set forth by breweries that have looked way beyond the restrictions set by prohibition and low ABV brews of corn and rice. Life is way to short to be drinking low-quality beer my friends. Please go to a local microbrewery and just give them a chance if you haven’t already.

19. ScottUCF84

Agreed. I understand the criticism, and when offering some qualitative aspects you dislike about the beer I don't find an issue, but I'm meeting more and more people that are ragging on the beer just because it's popular among beer newbies. When asked they just say "crappy, it sucks", never any explanation. This is exactly the scenario I spoke of... sticking up for it to "snobs" (often posers that started drinking craft 1-2 years ago), yet explaining that there are better options to those claiming it's the best thing ever.

20. I do in fact think that the beer is extremely overrated (i should have said with non beer geeks) and is crappy. How is that not an actual opinion?

21. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Preaching to the choir my friend. :D

22. I didn't say "all lagers were bad," I said the lager is bad, as in, specifically "Yeungling's traditional lager," or their lager in their lineup. That lager IS bad.

23. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Cool growlers

24. Dcor

Dcor Aficionado (150) Florida Aug 27, 2012

One of my bros at the firehouse gets it for his kegerator...not bad on tap in an icy mug, great session beer and beats the shit out of Budweiser.

25. My very first beer I ever had was a Yuengling black and tan, so it's something I have nostalgia about, but I don't miss it. I liked it then. Well, I certainly don't hate it now, but I'm not out looking either maybe because I'm still in a discovery phase. If money gets tighter. I mean much tighter...because I'll probably always save my money for what I really want. ...Assuming we don't have a economic apocalypse like Laurence Kotlikoff warns of.

26. surfadelic23

surfadelic23 Savant (285) Florida Aug 25, 2005

Like their porter and lord chesterfield(fresh on tap was nice)...the lager makes me sad though... :-(

27. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (455) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

Took one of their tours recently, (I live in Pottsville and work 5 blocks from the brewery) and was told they also produced Porter for "nursing mothers", of which apparently there were "many" during prohibition.

As others have said, their products are better than the BMC crowd, but pale in comparison to the craft offerings now readily available. Having said that, I won't say no if someone hands me a Yuengling lager on a hot day, and will be content to make my own black and tan with their lager (Don't care for the premium) and porter once in a while.

28. surfadelic23

surfadelic23 Savant (285) Florida Aug 25, 2005

And yet you let her marry him anyhow...that's just bad brothering...didn't you know that drinking lager leads to spousal abuse? Oh wait, that's Stella...

29. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

People form the east coast generally tend to hype it as some rare delicacy. What you were tasting was a shitty macro-style lager. Macro style lagers generally suck, not rocket science.

30. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I've never had it but I know a number of people from PA, and they all seem to say the same thing about this beer.

1. It's good, but

2. it's not that good.

Should I ever sample it I'll expect it to be a bit better than your garden-variety macro lager but nothing more.

31. When all your parents drank was Bud Lite and Corona, that first taste of Yuengling was pretty incredible.

Beyond that it's just a the best macro in the area. If you go in expecting Zombie Dust you're going to be very disappointed. But, if you're on the east coast, and in a situation that calls for drinking a macro, choose Yuengling over BMC. That's all there is to it.

32. I am from Pennsylvania and those two points pretty much sums it up.

I have no idea where this discussion about "hype" (or similar verbiage) is coming from. I have never seen Yuegngling hyped; it just is an AAL which is better than BMC type beers.

Cheers!

33. I like it better than BMCHC, nowhere near as good as Sam Adams.

MikeWard likes this.
  34. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

oldest brewery mystique - that's it

35. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I would like to revisit Yuengling. I went to college down South and pretty much drank Bud Light (or Bud Light Lime if I was feeling exotic) to get my buzz on. I didn't particularly care for the taste, but it was drinkable and refreshing. I didn't think you drank beer for the purpose of enjoying the beer itself. Beer was a means to an end. And then I tried Yuengling, and for the first time, I appreciated drinking a beer for the flavor. Now obviously, my palate has evolved quite a bit since then. I definitely was still a Bud Light girl for awhile before I actually discovered craft beer. But that was the first time I remember noticing a beer as something other than party juice.

Now, 5 years after that first taste of Yuengling, I'm about a year into actually really caring about beer. Who knows? I might think it's boring subpar crap now. Like I said, I'd love to try it again to see what I think now. I do remember liking it at the time, and it kind of has a special place in my heart.

36. I say it tastes like a musty basement.

37. I haven't drank it since Straub makes a way more flavorful clean tasting amber lager. Hell I even prefer the regular Straub American lager over Yuengling.

Ow and btw it's 16 bucks for a 24 pack of cans. Being two dollars cheaper than Yuengling it's no contest who my dollars vote for.

38. Tut

Tut Savant (400) New York Sep 23, 2004

A pint of real craft beer(individual choice) and a Woodford Reserve beats your combo, hands down.

39. Its alright, if I am at a party and that's all they have I will have one, and enjoy it too. Much better than Coors/Miller/Bud imo.

LisaEisMe likes this.
  40. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

I tired, I moved on. It's not bad by any means, but certainly not worthy the hype it was given when it was introduced in my state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.